Unhappy NGD

JR13

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Koreans and the Chinese have much better quality control than Gibson. The reason people treasure their "good Gibsons" is because they have a certain "rare" quality about them. I own two Gibsons and I love them, but for what I paid for them the "little things" are the most annoying- those "little things" DO NOT exist in some of the cheaper guitars I have or have owned.

PS- why is "Chinaman" a derogatory term but "Irishman" or "Frenchman" or "Englishman" is not?

• Members

The Koreans and the Chinese have much better quality control than Gibson.

I've had tons of Asian guitars and a few Gibsons. No way is that true. Hell even my most recent 2011 Studio faded is flawless, no Korean or Chinese import I've owned were at that level and I'm definitely not a Gibson fanboy.

• Members

I really like the case.

For $1300.00 you should seriously take a look at the Godin line. An XTSA or one of the ICON series are really, really nice for around $1000.00.

And Godin manages to do it with "parts made in Canada and assembled in the USA," or, as Fender would phrase it, "American."

I have a pricematch email from Music 123 for this Gibson, and the wife's blessing for an upcoming birthday, but I think I'm going to let it go.

• Members

The Koreans and the Chinese have much better quality control than Gibson. The reason people treasure their "good Gibsons" is because they have a certain "rare" quality about them. I own two Gibsons and I love them, but for what I paid for them the "little things" are the most annoying- those "little things" DO NOT exist in some of the cheaper guitars I have or have owned.

PS- why is "Chinaman" a derogatory term but "Irishman" or "Frenchman" or "Englishman" is not?

The same reason any word is considered derogatory - the connotation attached to it.

• Members

I've had tons of Asian guitars and a few Gibsons. No way is that true. Hell even my most recent 2011 Studio faded is flawless, no Korean or Chinese import I've owned were at that level and I'm definitely not a Gibson fanboy.

I have two recent Gibsons and several imports. The Gibsons have finish flaws and other minor issues that the imports DO NOT. The Gibsons cost 10x more. Case closed. A Gibson at the price they ask should NEVER have any of the issues they do.

• Members
The same reason any word is considered derogatory - the connotation attached to it.

When someone says "Chinaman" I think "some guy from China" :idk: I think white suburban people are so PC that it's actually offensive because it illustrates their own thinly veiled racism.

• Members
Mark Jenny is the way to go... I have a Dakota Red Tele from him and it is awesome. I've been thinking about selling it, but don't get too excited, my buddy has first dibs.
:D

pics of the telecaster?

Don't think I've ever seen one in Dakota Red (love that color).

• Members

When someone says "Chinaman" I think "some guy from China"
:idk:
I think white suburban people are so PC that it's actually offensive because it illustrates their own thinly veiled racism.

You kind of ignored what kayd_mon said.

What he said was correct.

• Members

I have two recent Gibsons and several imports. The Gibsons have finish flaws and other minor issues that the imports DO NOT. The Gibsons cost 10x more. Case closed. A Gibson at the price they ask should NEVER have any of the issues they do.

I guess I don't get this sentiment, given that the gap in material quality between the two can be, in my experience, pretty great. Cheaper materials all around, but it's flawless! :idk: It's like comparing an M5 to a Chevy Malibu, and going with the Malibu because the Bimmer has some finish imperfections. Granted, there are some exceptions - Japan's Fujigen plant, Eastman and similar facilities in China - but those are just that - exceptions.

OH, and to the OP: Can't recommend Mark Jenny's work enough. Dude is a treat to deal with, uses good parts and, of course, does excellent finish work. Absolutely love my CAR double-bound Tele.

• Members

Changed your mind mid-stream, nothing wrong with that. Pretty sure you would've found something wrong with it regardless since you shifted from LP to Tele gas.

In my case, I would have played it and if it sounded and played good, just attended to the switch (take the concession if possible as well). The analogy Poolshark made is the way I think as well.

• Members
lol

I guess I don't get this sentiment, given that the gap in material quality between the two can be, in my experience, pretty great. Cheaper materials all around, but it's
flawless!
:idk:
It's like comparing an M5 to a Chevy Malibu, and going with the Malibu because the Bimmer has some finish imperfections. Granted, there are some exceptions - Japan's Fujigen plant, Eastman and similar facilities in China - but those are just that - exceptions.

OH, and to the OP: Can't recommend Mark Jenny's work enough. Dude is a treat to deal with, uses good parts and, of course, does excellent finish work. Absolutely love my CAR double-bound Tele.

Oh for {censored}sake, YOU CANNOT COMPARE CARS TO GUITARS, the analogy does not work. It's pretty much akin to comparing apples to door knobs.

The point is that for what a Gibson costs, they should be flawless PERIOD!

And FYI, I never made any reference to the quality of materials in my SX example, I was referring only to the fit and finish. I do have some personal experience, I just sold an SX Gold Top that was absolutely imaculate.

• Members

Can we see this little black mark that's causing all this debate on Gibson's QC? I mean, switch tip isn't their fault. Is the black line above or below the finish? Anytime you have something made by humans, it's going to have some little flaw. (I've yet to find it on my LP Classic). And I think Cars and Guitars are perfectly comparable, in terms of what you get for your money. I've yet to see a new Gibson with QC issues. Used ones yes, new no.

• Members

And Godin manages to do it with "parts made in Canada and assembled in the USA," or, as Fender would phrase it, "American."

I have a pricematch email from Music 123 for this Gibson, and the wife's blessing for an upcoming birthday, but I think I'm going to let it go.

FYI, Godin also makes some necks for Fender as part of their MIA (North America) line. Which leads to the question, then why are the Mexican Fenders called MIM, since Mexico, also is part of North America?

• Members

How is it that the broken switch is Gibson's issue and not Musician's Friend? It could easily have broken in transit. If the black line is a marking that is an issue. If it's minerals in the wood, it's not.

The switch isn't Gibson's issue or musicians friend really. Just bad luck really. You guys have convinced me to mess around with it some today and see if I wanna just get another one instead of flat out returning it.

Archived