Unhappy NGD

JR13

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I'll get yelled at by the "Gibson QC Police" for saying this.... but I have 4 Gibsons I've ordered from MF that are flawless and better than I'd even hoped they would be.

Better quite while you're ahead. According the the HCEG Gibson experts, the next 120 you play should be severely flawed before you'll be due to see another good one...

• Members

Also I think it's mildly entertaining about the finish mark being a problem for you, when you're thinking about buying a relic'd guitar. But if you're not happy you're not happy. MF will make it right.

I was waiting to see if anyone was going to point that out!

• Members

Just to clarify guys, I'm not saying Gibson sucks. Gibson makes great guitars. Like any company they have great guitars and they have not so great ones. You've gotta play a bunch to find the one that fits you. Its probably my mistake for buying a guitar without seeing/ playing it first. The more i look at it the more i think the black streak is jut the way the finish came out in that particular spot. When I was playing it though I noticed scratches in the finish on the top of the neck which I was able to get a picture of. I'm torn between trying one more time and getting a Mark Jenny. I really like the way this guitar sounds...

Heres a pic of the scratches:

IMG_0477.jpg

ps. I want my Mark Jenny closet clean. I'm gonna relic it by playing it :)

• Members

The scratches are a bit weird, but I would think those would buff out as you played it. Looks like they forgot to buff after dressing the frets flat to the neck. Can you feel the scratches while you play, or is it only visual? I dunno. I guess to me, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if you're not happy don't deal with it.

• Members

I got my Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded yesterday and it has sharp fret ends. I've bought $200 guitar without that kind of a problem. I was shocked and I've since called zzounds for a replacement. I've never returned a guitar that I bought online. I suppose if this was a $200 guitar I would have just done the work myself or had the frets dressed by a tech but for a handmade guitar to come out like that is unacceptable in my opinion. I've read people's criticism of Gibson on this site and now I've had a bad experience. It was only my second Gibson purchase too. There is a reason a company like Honda has such a good name. It is the consistency and quality of their product. I don't see how Gibson can afford to send out shotty work like that.

• Members

I got my Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded yesterday and it has sharp fret ends. I've bought $200 guitar without that kind of a problem. I was shocked and I've since called zzounds for a replacement. I've never returned a guitar that I bought online. I suppose if this was a $200 guitar I would have just done the work myself or had the frets dressed by a tech but for a handmade guitar to come out like that is unacceptable in my opinion. I've read people's criticism of Gibson on this site and now I've had a bad experience. It was only my second Gibson purchase too. There is a reason a company like Honda has such a good name. It is the consistency and quality of their product. I don't see how Gibson can afford to send out shotty work like that.

That's why they over charge for a lot of their guitars. It's so customers like you can find out what should have been done and then they can talk about how they are continually improving on the QC. It's all marketing lads.

• Members

I've been staying out of this discussion intentionally but heres my two cents and it MY opinion.

The first thing I do when I inspect a guitar is to look it over for finish flaws. I check the body the neck, etc, checking surface prep, paint quality, polishing, etc. next, I sight down the fingerboard for a look at the neck and frets. If the guitar passes all of those checks, I'll try playing it and move on to other pre-buying checks. Used guitars are a whole different story...

If I was sent this instrument, it would, without question, be on it's way back to MF but the real lesson here is 1) Don t buy guitars "sight unseen" and if you do, buy from someone like Sweetwater. At least they inspect and set-up their guitars before shipping them out!

• Members

The scratches are a bit weird, but I would think those would buff out as you played it. Looks like they forgot to buff after dressing the frets flat to the neck. Can you feel the scratches while you play, or is it only visual? I dunno. I guess to me, that wouldn't be a deal breaker, but if you're not happy don't deal with it.

That'd be my guess as well. If the guitar is good otherwise, those scratches would be an easy, easy fix. Same with sharp fret ends, high action, tight nut slots, etc. All a pittance if you're getting a particularly good chunk of wood.

• Members

Better quite while you're ahead. According the the HCEG Gibson experts, the next 120 you play should be severely flawed before you'll be due to see another good one...

Ok people are obviously exaggerating but why is it that people are apologizing for Gibson's quality issues? I don't have much experience but so far I'm batting .500 with Gibson. That is great for baseball, not for a company that prides itself on quality and workmanship.

I like Gibson guitars too and they are out of my price range for the most part. I took a shot at a lower end model and ended up with a dud. I don't think there is a single valid excuse for receiving a product like that. The manufacturer should have shipped the retailer a good product.

Like I said before, there is a reason a company like Honda has such a strong reputation in the market place and that is the consistency and reliability of their products.

• Members

That'd be my guess as well. If the guitar is good otherwise, those scratches would be an easy, easy fix. Same with sharp fret ends, high action, tight nut slots, etc. All a pittance if you're getting a particularly good chunk of wood.

All a pittance really if it only cost a couple of hundred bucks. Oh wait...

• Members

Sorry, but if I'm paying $ 1000 or more for a guitar I don't feel like I should have to much of anything to make it presentable or playable. Isn't that what you are paying FOR ? A good, presentable, playable guitar ? If you're not getting that what's the point in spending that much?

• Members

Sorry, but if I'm paying $ 1000 or more for a guitar I don't feel like I should have to much of anything to make it presentable or playable. Isn't that what you are paying FOR ? A good, presentable, playable guitar ? If you're not getting that what's the point in spending that much?

Well then since he only paid $800 for the guitar, does that make it ok now?

• Members

Ok people are obviously exaggerating but why is it that people are apologizing for Gibson's quality issues? I don't have much experience but so far I'm batting .500 with Gibson. That is great for baseball, not for a company that prides itself on quality and workmanship.

I like Gibson guitars too and they are out of my price range for the most part. I took a shot at a lower end model and ended up with a dud. I don't think there is a single valid excuse for receiving a product like that. The manufacturer should have shipped the retailer a good product.

Like I said before, there is a reason a company like Honda has such a strong reputation in the market place and that is the consistency and reliability of their products.

Who is apologizing for Gibson? All I did was say what my experience has been. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky so far.

What exactly made your guitar a 'dud'? Sharp fret ends? Unfortunately, guitars are made of wood and contract and expand with changes in temperature, humidity, etc. It is entirely possible that guitar left Gibson with perfectly non-sharp fret ends, or they could have been sharp when they left the factory. You never know. But if that was the only issue, I wouldn't call the guitar a 'dud'.

I've never said Gibson doesn't have issues, only that I haven't seen them personally (at least not to the extent some people here claim they exist). Strangely enough, I just sent back a PRS Starla a couple weeks ago due to bad electronics and several dead spots on the fret board, and they are supposed to be perfect. I also sent back a Japanese EVH Special last week due to wiring issues, and people around here act like they don't make a Japanese guitar with any issues...

• Members

Who is apologizing for Gibson? All I did was say what my experience has been. Maybe I've been exceptionally lucky so far.

What exactly made your guitar a 'dud'? Sharp fret ends? Unfortunately, guitars are made of wood and contract and expand with changes in temperature, humidity, etc. It is entirely possible that guitar left Gibson with perfectly non-sharp fret ends, or they could have been sharp when they left the factory. You never know. But if that was the only issue, I wouldn't call the guitar a 'dud'.

I've never said Gibson doesn't have issues, only that I haven't seen them personally (at least not to the extent some people here claim they exist). Strangely enough, I just sent back a PRS Starla a couple weeks ago due to bad electronics and several dead spots on the fret board, and they are supposed to be perfect. I also sent back a Japanese EVH Special last week due to wiring issues, and people around here act like they don't make a Japanese guitar with any issues...

That's fair. I just see people on here tellilng me I should do the repair myself when the guitar should be ready to play from the factory. That is where the apologist comment came from. I realize I bought the lowest end model but I expected it to be better than most other guitars I've bought sight unseen and it wasn't.

This forum is a bit odd in that you have people he seem to be big proponents of certain brands / types of gear and opponents of others. I personally have no issue with any company and don't really play favorites. Like women, I just love guitars in all shapes, sizes and colors. I do happen to love Gibsons but just have not been able to afford them aside the one I've owned since I was a kid and my recent purchase. I was a bit disappointed when I received a guitar that needs work. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

• Members

Sorry to hear that, Man. It's hard to buy a guitar sight unseen.

You know that is usually very true, however I have had incredible luck buying guitars sight unseen. If you look at my gear page you will see I do have some nice guitars and at least 10 of them were bought sight unseen. Haven't had bad luck with any of them and some of them just blew my mind from the moment I opened the case.

• Members
You know that is usually very true, however I have had incredible luck buying guitars sight unseen. If you look at my gear page you will see I do have some nice guitars and at least 10 of them were bought sight unseen. Haven't had bad luck with any of them and some of them just blew my mind from the moment I opened the case.

OK, I looked at your gear page...
DUDE! You have a lot of nice guitars!!!
:lol:
:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

$50 store credit is a joke...If anything that guitar needs to be returned just for the principle of it.

Good luck.

I agree that $50 is a joke. He should point out to them that he could have bought it from music123 with their 110% price match and paid $50 less in the first place, then have them match that price, then have them give him the $50 on top of that. $100 back is a little better. But if he isn't happy, he shouldn't keep it. MF will pay return shipping and send another one if he wants it.

He could also point out to them that these were selling for $679 last Friday during the VIP promotion, so $749 for one with issues isn't much of a 'deal'.

Archived