What The Hell Is Wrong With the Forum Software?

sventvkg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg

View Post

Seriously...These forums were some of the most populated and smooth running on the net and it's getting frustrating.

Maybe the traffic is part of the problem?

A separate cheap server JUST for the forum from Godaddy might help?

Dan

• Members

The best way for me to be here is to use iPad. On PC it's very slooowwww

It doesn`t matter if its an Apple or PC. I`m on my laptop right now and it took over a minute to access the log in page. The site is no better on my home or studio iMacs so...

Maybe Steve Jobs was right and iPad OS is not so bloated as Windows, hence speedier loading..

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers

View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm not inclined to be the first to ask about it since I have a pretty slow DSL connection that's sometimes flaky, however this forum does tend to be more cranky than most web sites. I've found that if I stop trying to connect (press ESC on Firefox) and then try to load again, it often comes up pretty quickly on the second try. Maybe there's a particularly slow port on a router and we who experience this sluggishness are hitting it just by chance.

But yeah, it used to work consistently better.

I found that sometimes I need to double click and the page will load. I just did that to get to this reply. Of course, that could lead to double click double posts if you are sending a reply. *click*

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daklander

View Post

I don't think you can rely on the data from Big Boards.

From the HC main forum page:

Members: 381,479

From Big Boards:

Number of posts: 22468806

Number of members: 199041

Seems to me the Big Board data is at least a couple of years old.

Those look to me like the same figures they had for HC back around the time of the attempted Jive switch over.

I am certainly glad to see that my problem with malware doesn't seem to be related to HC and that is a very good thing.

smile.gif

Also my mood seems to be the brightening now that I've found a Swype like app for my Google Nexus tablet that allows me to swipe through my typing. I actually like it better then Swype for the most part. That, combined with the voice recognition on this tablet, makes it reasonably not too horrible.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue

View Post

Those look to me like the same figures they had for HC back around the time of the attempted Jive switch over.

You're the internet expert but it looks to me like they're saying on the big boards site that HC stopped having some kind of "tags" in the forum code that let big boards keep detailed stats. confused.gif

Terry D.

• Members

I have no idea what's going on here. I logged on this morning and it took several minutes to open a page. Now it's speeding along as if nothing was wrong, so I'm getting as many posts in while I can (and banning some HCPP people, just for sport).

Is software being intermittent a sign of a hardware problem? I sure wish I wasn't so ignorant about all this...

• Members

I have no idea what's going on here. I logged on this morning and it took several minutes to open a page. Now it's speeding along as if nothing was wrong, so I'm getting as many posts in while I can (and banning some HCPP people, just for sport).

Is software being intermittent a sign of a hardware problem? I sure wish I wasn't so ignorant about all this...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnobs

View Post

You're the internet expert but it looks to me like they're saying on the big boards site that HC stopped having some kind of "tags" in the forum code that let big boards keep detailed stats. confused.gif

Terry D.

I like to think of Scarecrow Bob as the expert. biggrin.gif

I do collect as much info as my wee brain can hold but I'm afraid the surplus goes in one cerebral hemisphere and out the other.

But that explanation could easily be the case, I suspect. Either that or we all died and went into the limbo dimension, which would explain why a haggard and ghostly looking Bruce Willis keeps wandering through my flat muttering to himself... that also would account for the lack of increased count on the Big Boards tally. Maybe Jive was really the end of the line for all of us... but we somehow didn't get the memo.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

No.

Well... maybe.

One thing I've definitely noticed, a mod doing any kind of system utility type activity, like spam-deleting all messages by a given user, etc, appear to put a significant hit on board operations.

• Members

Aah, the old double post phenomenon, Mr Anderton. I know that well......you click submit and it takes so long you think..."well maybe I didn't click right on it or click on the page first after looking at another page....so I will hit it again...." OR you go back and forth.

Yeah Craig......it is really bloody annoying, all these various clunks and clatters.

Of course......and I'm just sayin'........as nice a place as HC is, well.....with maybe the exception of a subforum or two.............facepalm.gif ................a dedicated, SSS site of it's own would be very nice also. No baggage, no eleventeen million posts dragging the system down.....icon_lol.gif

• Members

Whatever it was, it appears gone now. It was nice to be able to post in a couple threads today.

I tried it from work, and found it can read pages okay, but the McAfee Web-Nanny blocks access when I try to log in. I looked up company policy, and found it more or less fits the definition of a 'social website', so I guess that's why it's blocked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley

View Post

This site is sadly dying. It`s obvious that the higher powers have chosen to put their attention elsewhere. For better or worse, I`ve been spending more time over at GS.

GS? What's GS?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bookumdano2

View Post

I figured this was all part of the promo for Craig's "Grid" video

icon_lol.gif

Didn`t think of that! Now that you mention it, Craig is probably setting us up to sell us the next version of HC.... for $29.99/month, we can have a smooth running site! or something like that.

Seriously though... it took me 10 minutes to sign in and with "Sandy" barreling down on NYC, this may be my last post for a while.

btw- link to GS just in case HC goes down for good.

Just thinking out loud.... how cool would it be if Jules (the GS mod) gave Craig his own forum?

Archived