What The Hell Is Wrong With the Forum Software?

sventvkg

• Members

until someone can either fix it or Anderton's SSS migrates elsewhere.

it's already been everywhere. A cool thing...if you take a look at Craig's boarded up and archived locations, there are always also little thingees saying "12 viewing". Who are those guys?

Wasn't the forum also part of the Krispy Kreme website one year? Just after that six month period where it had been located on a tupperware and cheese site.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've been told that they are working on a HC 3.0 that will be as close as possible in look-and-feel to the present forums (not at all like that Jive 2.0 crap). Unfortunately the constant issues with the present forum are diverting resources away from working on the "new" software
:(
. Hopefully they now have enough band-aids applied so this holds together while they get back to working on the new stuff
:)

Sounds like good news, I like the HC forum, it is one of the best, if not the best as far as I am concerned, I will stick around for the long run. :)

It seems to be running lightning fast at the moment. :thu:

• Members

Seems quick today !

I think , that if this is a traffic issue, then someone(s) may have to make the hard choice of removing the high traffic POLITICAL forum. (I see very few of those political "contributors" posting anything useful on the music related forums.) As you all know, I have been there many times, but if it comes down to it, Craigs forum is the most important for this website. Everything else grew out of SSS.

Dan

• Moderators

Craigs forum is the most important for this website. Everything else grew out of SSS.

Dan

This place has gone straight downhill since MF bought it. It was a thriving, successful community before that with no severe problems of the sort we see now. :idk:

And I say this both as a member here since 2001 and as a long time member of the tiny forum on musicplayers called SSS.

Terry D.

• Members

Well, at least I was able to get back in after my IP ban was lifted. :facepalm:

As a matter of historical accuracy, yes, SSS existed in 1995 and yes, it came over to HC, along with several other MusicPlayer forums, in 2005. However, the SSS forums on MusicPlayer were not tiny. Between SSS and the PP spinoff that happened toward the end, there were about a half million posts. It was far and away the most popular forum on the MusicPlayer site.

As to what's happening now...there's talk of archiving older PP and OJ posts (e.g., older than a couple years) to reduce the load. They would be inaccessible for now, but be brought back when feasible. Also, RoadRanger is right that other solutions are being explored. One is a company that runs the AT&T forums. If you want to see forums with huge numbers of posts that run REALLY fast, check them out. If we had that level of performance, I would be thrilled (and so would you).

But it's also true that trying to keep things alive here is indeed diverting resources. It's a tough position to be in.

As to the MF/GC ownership issue, MF absolutely recognized the value of HC. Although it ran well, it was falling apart and the people responsible for putting it together had sold the site, and did not want to be involved. That's when MF decided HC needed a modern, scalable platform and put its faith in Jive. We all know what happened there. While I can certainly fault the execution - who couldn't! - I can't fault the motivation.

When MF was moved by GC to Southern California, GC also recognized the value of HC. However, in my opinion, they were coming from a brick-and-mortar world as opposed to MF's online-only world, and weren't quite sure what to do initially. GC also came to the realization that HC needed fixing, and put plans in motion to redo the site and have it hosted externally. However, I don't think anyone there was prepared for the relatively rapid rate of deterioration after what had been a fairly gentle deterioration; the belief was that the site would hold together until a solution was in place. That has, quite obviously, not turned out to be true.

Complicating all this are the huge spikes in spam traffic that really slow things down. Why we are such a target is something that's way beyond my extremely limited IT knowledge.

At least I can access the site now, and the speed does seem to be improving. But it's really, really sad for me to watch such an incredible community feel like they're being forced to abandon their home. I honestly think the only way HC will recover to its former glory is if the current site becomes truly useable until something much better comes along, and an effort is made to recruit new members to the site who won't have the twin bad memories of Jive and the current death-by-a-thousand-cuts still fresh in their minds.

• Members
So how did you get banned,
Craig
?
:freak:

Best,

Geoff

No doubt from all the abusive stuff he lays on everyone. Like.."good point", or "I agree with that", or "great idea". No one wants to be around that kind of attitude all the time. Someone simply said "no more". Hey... doesn't blue have the ban button?

• Members

No doubt from all the abusive stuff he lays on everyone. Like.."good point", or "I agree with that", or "great idea". No one wants to be around that kind of attitude all the time. Someone simply said "no more". Hey... doesn't blue have the ban button?

I like your explanation better than the real one. Let's go with that. :)

• Members

At least HC is relatively safe and sound in southern California. MusicPlayer was completely downed by Hurricane Sandy, and who knows when it will be back.

Best,

Geoff

Sorry to hear that about MP. I go back there from time to time, and there are still some of the originals posting. Really don't have a lightpost to hang around, as that place came here.

• Members

At least HC is relatively safe and sound in southern California. MusicPlayer was completely downed by Hurricane Sandy, and who knows when it will be back.

Best,

Geoff

All internal email is non-functional as well. It doesn't make putting a magazine together any easier...but that's nothing compared to what the population at large is going through in so many places.

I was without power once in Florida for two weeks and another time for around 10 days IIRC. But the difference there is that you expect it, so I already had canned food, candles, flashlights, batteries, adapter for the car, filled gas cans, and the like sitting around as a matter of general principle...and of course, I filled every sink and tub I could find before the hurricane hit so I'd have water. It still sucked, of course, and the only way to take a shower was to hope for rain, stand under the roof eaves, and hope simultaneously for rain to land on you but not lightning :).

I don't think a lot of the NY/NJ people realized just how much disturbance to the social fabric a major storm and outage can cause, or how fast the shelves empty when people who don't take things seriously run to Home Depot at the last minute. It just plain makes sense to have enough supplies around to take care of yourself and your family for a week or so. Anything from solar flares to snowstorms to wind to you name it can interrupt the flow of electricity.

I didn't realize that when I posted the song "When the Grid Goes Down" it would be so topical :(

• Members

Well, at least I was able to get back in after my IP ban was lifted.
:facepalm:

Yeah I was banned also, I couldn't figure it out, I think they looked into my past and found out I stepped on the wrong bug or they got tired of my misspelled thread titles. DOH!

• Members

I kept getting the "IP banned" message but a refresh (or 10) would get rid if it eventually. Anyways it's OK for the moment unless you try to "back up" to the listing of all forums - that's just hanging at the moment :(. I don't see why archiving (or even deleting) > 2 year old posts on OJ and PP (and also classified forums and GJ ?) would upset anyone - Does anyone really need to search anything there further back than that?

• Moderators

Well, at least I was able to get back in after my IP ban was lifted.
:facepalm:

Welcome back. There was an IP ban on AOL dynamic IPs? How'd that happen? :confused:

As a matter of historical accuracy, yes, SSS existed in 1995 and yes, it came over to HC, along with several other MusicPlayer forums, in 2005. However, the SSS forums on MusicPlayer were not tiny. Between SSS and the PP spinoff that happened toward the end, there were about a half million posts. It was far and away the most popular forum on the MusicPlayer site.

Has it been 7 years since MF bought HC already? Wow, where did the time go. :freak:

And yeah, I knew and liked your MP forum, I was a member for years. And tiny was a poor choice of wording. It was much smaller than pre MF HC.

As to what's happening now...there's talk of archiving older PP and OJ posts (e.g., older than a couple years) to reduce the load. They would be inaccessible for now, but be brought back when feasible.

Realistically, they'll never be brought back but you still have to do that. I'd go a step farther and say you should do that to all the forums. Just delete the stuff that hasn't been accessed in years. If you can't do that, then delete the stuff that hasn't had a new post in years. It seems pretty likely that the back end is causing these problems, i.e. the ridiculously large database vs the presumably small servers handling it.

Also, RoadRanger is right that other solutions are being explored. One is a company that runs the AT&T forums. If you want to see forums with huge numbers of posts that run REALLY fast, check them out. If we had that level of performance, I would be thrilled (and so would you).

God help us (remembering Jive). :eek:

But it's also true that trying to keep things alive here is indeed diverting resources. It's a tough position to be in.

Speaking for myself, I know you want things to be better here and I know that you're in a tough position as well. Thanks for all that you do. :)

When MF was moved by GC to Southern California, GC also recognized the value of HC. However,
in my opinion,
they were coming from a brick-and-mortar world as opposed to MF's online-only world, and weren't quite sure what to do initially. GC also came to the realization that HC needed fixing, and put plans in motion to redo the site and have it hosted externally. However, I don't think anyone there was prepared for the relatively rapid rate of deterioration after what had been a fairly gentle deterioration; the belief was that the site would hold together until a solution was in place. That has, quite obviously, not turned out to be true.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that.

At least I can access the site now, and the speed does seem to be improving. But it's really, really sad for me to watch such an incredible community feel like they're being forced to abandon their home. I honestly think the only way HC will recover to its former glory is if the current site becomes truly useable until something much better comes along, and an effort is made to recruit new members to the site who won't have the twin bad memories of Jive and the current death-by-a-thousand-cuts still fresh in their minds.

Well, I hate to ruin my dour image by sounding optimistic, but I think most people will come back gradually as the forums start running well again. The same things that attracted all these folks originally are (mostly) still here, chiefly the sense of friends and community. Just prune the database in stages and at some point I think things will run smoothly again.

Oh, and hire Ida back, she had a good handle on the spambots. ;)

Terry D.

• Members
I'd go a step farther and say you should do that to all the forums. Just delete the stuff that hasn't been accessed in years. If you can't do that, then delete the stuff that hasn't had a new post in years.

I think a lot of the value of these forums is being able to search for what you want from years past in the "On Topic" forums. Also I suspect 99% of the folks here came here via a Google search that popped up one of those old posts. Unfortunately most databases don't keep track of when something was last accessed by a "real user" vs an indexing engine (internal or external). It would be great if a team could go through the older postings and delete anything off-topic but I estimate that would cost around $1,000,000 . Just going though "effects" at 200 posts per hour would take 9.5 man-years :eek:.

Archived