What's the guitar you wanted when you first started playing guitar?

honeyiscool

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Grew up in awe of Kiss, Jimmy Page, Randy Rhodes and Steve Howe. Anything LP or doubleneck I went crazy for. Didn't help any to have an older brother that collected rare guitars so I often had them staring back at me in the house (look but don't touch was the policy).

Now I have an aged white Les Paul Custom and a doubleneck (on route). Life is good. I think the longer you play, the more focused you become and it gets back down to one question: "what would make me happy?". I used to pursue perfection, now I chase after happiness. That LPC mkes me happy everytime I pick it up (which is funny, because they all pretty much look alike, but this one plays better than almost every other one I've ever picked up, it always surprises me once I start to play with just how right it is).

• Members

I always wanted a Cherry Burst Gibson LP
, as well as a goldtop LP. Now, I've settled for a cherry red VM
:cool:

Bingo! Mainly due to this guy when I was a teen:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuoWeC6XodZmXAOURfQwo

So, as the years have gone by, I have had a few different LPs pass through, and sadly couldn't bond with any of 'em really until I got my current 60s Tribute; yet, to this day, it is still the coolest electric guitar out there :cool:

• Members

Hi there... First post here, but I thought I'd share on this thread.

Growing up in the 80s, my older cousin had introduced me to the likes of Led Zeppelin, Rush and Van Halen. I think it was Jimmy Page that finally pushed me over the edge into wanting to play guitar, but this is the guitar that I wanted...

3869821148_818a259145.jpg

Yeah, I guess it's safe to say I wasn't too unlike 1000s of other kids back then that wanted to play guitar.

What I ended up with on my 15th birthday was a black LP copy that I don't even remember the brand of from the pawn shop, along with the obligatory Gorilla amp. Good times!

• Members

Back when I was 14 or 15 and splitting lessons with a friend at Day's Music in Portland, we'd have some time before mom picked us up. They had some nice Gretsch Country Gentlemens on the wall. Bigsby, all those screws in the pickups. Way beyond my price point.

I had to content myself with my Gibson melody maker 2 pickup, he with his Danelectro (this was mid 60's btw).Two years later did get a used double anniversary for princely sum of $150....

• Members

1978: Cheap Trick on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I wanted Rick Nielsen's Hamer Standard. I had no idea that it was Hamer 0001.

[Youtube]8W0ZDVu1ORk

I was never much for bursts, but the dream never left me, so last year, 33 years later....

TheHog.jpg

• Members

Ibanez Jem BFP (Blue Floral Pattern)

Ended up with a Jem 7DBK sometime around '98 (The black stucco finish one), its a great guitar but the neck is uber thin (thinest of the Jems).

I prefer fatter necks these days. The BFP has fallen off the gas list.

Archived