What's the guitar you wanted when you first started playing guitar?

honeyiscool

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember seeing a Gibson ES-140 hanging in a repair shop the first year I played (`88), and that really stuck with me. Finally got a 1958 ES-140T two years ago. Headstock repair, all electronics and hardware have been replaced with new repros, but it has the sweetest, delicate acoustic sound I've ever heard from a hollowbody. Very, very pleasing acoustic tone.

• Members

I remember seeing this ad as a kid and thinking that I would love to own a black Strat with a maple neck:

!BllWNlwB2k~$%28KGrHqEOKkEEtkgoJ7EgBLcP9

I also remember seeing an old poster of Eric Clapton's old "Blackie" and wanting something like that:

Eric%2BClapton%2527s%252C%2BBlackie.png

A couple of years ago, I finally scored a Road Worn 50's Strat. If I ever trade it in, it'll go towards another black Strat. I know it's clich

• Members

Around 1978 I had been playing a couple of years and had saved some $ for an electric.
I wanted a Travis Bean, but I only had $500+ dollars, and Beans were more. Keep in
mind, I lived in the sticks an hour away from the nearest guitar shop.

I was in high school but had located a shop that carried Beans, and had called them
a few times to see about buying a TB-500. An employee told me he would let me
have a demo one for $650 cash.

I talked my Dad into agreeing to stop by the shop on our next trip to the big city.
He even agreed to chip in the hundred or so extra dollars that I needed to be able
to have enough money.

Well, we got to the shop and it all fell apart. The guy I had been bugging on the
phone was not there, and the store owner said he knew nothing about it. IIRC, he
wanted about $850 for the cheapest Bean. He said they dont discount them, blah,
blah, blah. Even a hundred bucks was a huge amount in 1978, so there was no way
my Dad would go up even a few dollars.

The whole thing blew up on me as Dad ended up getting mad when the shop owner
really didnt act like he wanted me to try out any other guitars. So in the end he
wouldnt let me buy a guitar from that shop at all.

It was two more years before I got an electric (an Aria).

Here is a pic similar to the Bean I thought I was getting...

49523.jpg

• Members

Before I ever started playing guitar I remember being so drawn to pics of famous players so i could check out their guitars.

I really lusted after two guitars in particular:

Jimmy Page's Les Paul and Keith Richards' Micawber Tele.

35 years later, the Tele and Les Paul are still my favorite solidbody electrics. But I had a special interest in Teles and (again, before I even started playing) used to cut pictures of Teles and people playing Teles out of magazines and catalogs and glue them into this Tele scrapbook I made.

Weird. Hadn't thought of that in decades.

• Members
I remember seeing this ad as a kid and thinking that I would love to own a black Strat with a maple neck...

I also remember seeing an old poster of Eric Clapton's old "Blackie" and wanting something like that...

A couple of years ago, I finally scored a Road Worn 50's Strat. If I ever trade it in, it'll go towards another black Strat. I know it's clich

• Members

I thought Les Pauls were the epitome of coolness when I first started out. Fenders looked cheap and flimsy in comparison with their bolt-on necks and lack of appointments which I thought rendered them inferior in some way. I couldn't have been more wrong (Fenders are tanks, Gibsons not so much). Not to say I don't love my Gibson Studio Lite cause I do, but I find my Strats and Tele more versatile and they get used a bit more.

• Members

any rg ibanez, cos in the local music shop catalogue the ibanez' had the coolest headstocks.

Because of my lack of knowledge and the vagueness of the catalogue, I thought the guitar i picked had a better "tremelo" than the other similar priced model. turns out i thought the vol and tone knobs aren't called tremelos. yes i picked the guitar i got thinking the knobs on it were cooler.

after that i wanted and got an explorer (one without a pickguard) cos that looked cool. (stupid neck heavy thing!! still looks cool but)

• Members

When I first started to play, I looked at guitars as a tool. I never really thought about what guitar I wanted. I played my Dad's SG copy and an Atlas acoustic. When my dad finally told me to get a guitar is when I started to ask around.

It was about late '98 when I got my first guitar. When I went into the House of Guitars, I was willing to try anything that was about $450. My friend told me to get ibanez. The salesman named Jeff brought ibanez's out one after the other and actually listened to my playing and made a suggestion. He brought out this:

preview.jpg

I guess from reading the mags I liked the look of these:

_c156611_image_0.jpg

Archived