What's the guitar you wanted when you first started playing guitar?

honeyiscool

• Members

You know that instrument that made you :love: :love: :love:

And did you ever get that guitar? What was it like?

This was it for me:

63559_l.jpg

Candy Apple Red Jazzmaster. I was obsessed with Jazzmasters for the longest time. I didn't even play guitar, but I would research Jazzmasters. I knew about the jumping saddle slots, buzz stops, Mustang bridges, even before I could play a single A chord.

After I started playing guitar, that obsession became Candy Apple Red Jaguars instead. I assumed it was a small, comfortable guitar with a big sound. When I finally got one, I was like, what the hell... yeah, I kept the Mustangs.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i wanted a strat and a LP when i was 14; didn't care what brand. My mom is a music teacher, and gets music supply catalogs all the time. I remember seeing Lotus guitars, that were cheap, and i wanted one. Ended up guitar a mexican strat in high school. The Wayne's World 2 limited edition strat. Didn't like it. Traded it in on a crap Cruise LP copy.

Now i have a gibson LP and an american strat. Call me generic

• Members

At the time I first started (this time last year) the top 2 bands I was listening to played PRS, both singlecut and the signature PRS style. So I wanted one of those. I ended up with a Tele, which I liked it but still wanted something for the heavier sound, so I got a MK LP style...and now I rarely play it, and always play the Tele. Maybe when I get older and get a "real" PRS and better amp I could get the sound I was looking for, but so far humbuckers sound too aggressive to me. I prefer making the guitar aggressive with amps and such. :o

Edit: Now that I think about it, when I made my first thread here one of the things I said was basically "I don't want a Telecaster or Stratocaster, they look too plain." ...:lol:

• Members

Edit: Now that I think about it, when I made my first thread here one of the things I said was basically "I don't want a Telecaster or Stratocaster, they look too plain." ...
:lol:

I respect Strats, but I've never liked them and still don't. I merely tolerate them. I have one because position 4 is impossible to get any other way and position 2 is fun, but I wish I could be Strat free.

• Members

Now that's good taste.

My Dad got me one of these

20U-10981_front.jpg

I had to learn to play on that, for 5 years and then I could get an electric ( I was just a little kid), by which time I wanted a Les Paul.

But I didn't get that either. Turns out '62 SG's were cheap back then so I had one of thoses.

• Members

Wow, you were all much better informed than me. I wanted a steel string acoustic. Didn't know brand names, difference in quality anything. Oddly enough, I ended up with a 1960's epiphone acoustic from a pawn shop for $45 and it ended up being worth 10 times that amount. Lucky.

When I switched to electric, it was a strat. I have diverged but keep going back to them.

• Members

I think I always wanted a Gibson Acoustic. I finally bought myself one for my 40th Birthday in 2000. Other than that, I think I always wanted a black strat and a Steinberger. The strat was my "traditional" favorite and the Steinberger was so cutting edge when I first saw them in the early 80's...I was awestruck. I did buy a Steinberger bass in the late 80's but it was the XM maple bodied model...and I still wanted one of the small bodied guitars. I recently got a Steinberger Spirit model for super cheap, so it will satisfy me for now...

Archived