I'm obsessed with Go-Go's.

honeyiscool

• Members

I love the Go-Gos!

Saw them around the release of their first album at Keystone Palo Alto.

Met all of them individually except for Belinda on their solo tours and saw all of them solo (including the obscure Kathy Valentine band World's Cutest Killers)

Met them all at a signing on Tower Sunset for the Valley of the Go-Gos.

Here's a funny story about Jane. My company put on a Heart show in LA for a DVD and CD release. One of the guys at the company in finance and now a friend, his age was around 30 was a casual music fan.

At the after party, he saw Jane at the bar and asked her "weren't you once a Go-Go?" In a very annoyed voice she said "yes." Then as she was about to pay for her drink she found she didn't have any money on her. My friend gallantly bought her a drink and she then became a bit more chatty with him.

By the way, my friend is a real charmer. Girls left and right.

I love that story.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know, The Bangles were around for a while and I thought it wasn't until they got famous and studio execs tried to cash in on Susanna Hoffs that Bangles started really having problems.

Their peak was only 2 years. Like from 84 to 86. Like someone said they cashed on the revival in the late 90's.

• Members

I saw Belinda Carlisle solo circa 1990 at Bumbershoot (seattle). Hadn't planned on it, but we had some time to kill. Awesome show! Seriously. She had an incredible backing band and at that time she was all sexy and put on an incredibly high energy show, looking so hot. They did several Go-Go tunes which were the highlghts.

"We got the beat" flat out rocked. Again, not kidding.

And man she was so beautiful to watch.

• Members

Ha, no, I just think ".........................The REAL Rocker."
is like the funniest thing I've ever seen
so I started randomly using it about a week ago.

I guess I'm really.........................The FAKE Rocker.

Like...not so much.

• Members

Yeah, like I said, I'm not belittling them at all. I'd be all over writing, producing and putting that band together and banking it too. That wasn't my point.

I have just never heard anyone talk about them like a serious band before. Ever. And it caught me a little off guard, like did me and everyone I knew back then miss something? You mean they were a REAL band? Who knew?

I was 21, living in LA and going to punk/new music clubs a lot. The Go-Go's were taken as seriously as anything else. The scene was inclusive and never took itself too seriously. That was the whole point - DIY, have a good time, flip off the mainstream music industry. That their first album took off was a surprise, not because it didn't deserve it, but because it wasn't really mainstream music then.

This is one of my favorites:

• Members

Like...not so much.

It must be the way I read it.

Two guys in the breakroom at work on a Friday morning:

Ed: "Man, I love doughnut Fridays"

Bob: "Chocolate doughnuts are the best.....................The REAL Rocker!!!!!!!" (stomps out of the room)

• Members

Ed: "Man, I love doughnut Fridays"

Bob: "Chocolate doughnuts are
the best
.....................The REAL Rocker!!!!!!!" (stomps out of the room)

:lol:

Wouldn't it be more like:

"----------:p Chocolate :lol: doughnuts :wave: are the best :facepalm:.....................The REAL Rocker!!!!!!!" (stomps out of the room)"

• Members
Yeah, like I said, I'm not belittling them at all. I'd be all over writing, producing and putting that band together and banking it too. That wasn't my point.

I have just never heard anyone talk about them like a serious band before. Ever. And it caught me a little off guard, like did me and everyone I knew back then miss something? You mean they were a REAL band? Who knew?

------People who wanted to know, knew. People who wanted to dismiss them as a cutesy joke didn't pay enough attention to find out:confused:. Remember, this was the very early 80's, and the whole women's rocker scene was no where NEAR the accepted thing it is now.................The REAL Rocker.

• Members
Dude, are you posting with 2 different user names?

---------------Nope, it's just a dip-sh*t who finds nobody's interested in him, so he tries to be me:rolleyes:. I don't understand why he wants to lick my b**ls:p, but whatever. He's a follower, and thus dispensible. I can live with that....................The REAL Rocker.

• Members
------------Hasn't done that for years, as far as I know. He left them, went into this weird fashion thing, and I haven't seen him since. For all I know, he may have come back.................The REAL Rocker......I am adding to this since I checked on Pat Smear. He was in The Foo Fighters for a year in 1993-1994, then left for more than 10 years, and returned to them in 2006.

................Returned in 2006.

• Members

It is just odd to me to hear people talk about the GoGos today as if they were a serious thing.aybe they were, but I just didn't see evidence of it back then. It was almost like they were paraded around as a sort of circus sideshow that was more novelty than band. If there is anyone around in this thread my age, 47, that was around when they came out, I'd be curious to hear if your perception of them is the same as mine, or did you have different views of them?

I'm seriously curious because I just find it odd to hear them being talked about as serious. I never saw anyone doing that in their heyday.

I'm 48. I loved the Go Gos. The fact they were cute didn't hurt, certainly...but Beauty and the Beat had a lot of good pop music on it. To a lesser extent, so did Vacation. So they didn't last long...a lot of groups didn't. I was amazed when I saw the VH1 'Behind the Music' episode on them. One of the factors for their breakup was the other members finding out that Charlotte Caffey and Jane Wiedlin were making more money because they were writing the songs and getting songwriter royalties. They thought that was unfair. Amazing how a group can achieve that level of success and still not understand the business.

Jane has a sideline these days as a fetish model. My 20-year-old self would flipped out over that.

• Members

I don't think I'd call it "girl music", as most of it was written or "co" written by men

Did you bother to check that yourself or are you just making an assumption because there's no way girls could do it on their own?

For {censored}'s sake. The words to "Our Lips Are Sealed" were taken from a letter that was sent to Jane, but she wrote the music herself. One other song on the first album had a co-writing credit from a certain Peter Case. Every other song on the album was written by one of the Go-Go's.

p.s. I mean, if the Go-Go's were supposed to be a bunch of good looking girls, don't you think they'd have picked cuter girls? Other than Jane, who would make my hottest of the 80s list along with Debbie Harry and Susanna Hoffs, the rest get a healthy bonus from playing music.

• Members
Did you bother to check that yourself or are you just making an assumption because there's no way girls could do it on their own?

For {censored}'s sake. The words to "Our Lips Are Sealed" were taken from a letter that was sent to Jane, but she wrote the music herself. One other song on the first album had a co-writing credit from a certain Peter Case. Every other song on the album was written by one of the Go-Go's.

p.s. I mean, if the Go-Go's were supposed to be a bunch of good looking girls, don't you think they'd have picked cuter girls? Other than Jane, who would make my hottest of the 80s list along with Debbie Harry and Susanna Hoffs, the rest get a healthy bonus from playing music.

--------------A lot of people Honeyiscool, have the same attitude of the guy above you, and simply wanted to bad-mouth a bunch of girls BECAUSE they didn't want to respect them:confused:. The Go-Gos did a lot in a small amount of time, and will do more, but some folks will never show them respect...................The REAL Rocker.

• Members
--------------A lot of people Honeyiscool, have the same attitude of the guy above you, and simply wanted to bad-mouth a bunch of girls BECAUSE they didn't want to respect them:confused:. The Go-Gos did a lot in a small amount of time, and will do more, but some folks will never show them respect...................The REAL Rocker.

+1. So sad, yet so very true.

• Members

nope he didn't take the to research. if he did, he would have known that wiedlin, caffrey and carlisle wrong the majority of their stuff.

Archived