I'm obsessed with Go-Go's.

honeyiscool

• Members

My mom got me the Go-Go's first album (on cassette actually) for xmas back in 1981. I did not care for it. Took it back to school with me a couple weeks later and found a classmate who's mom got him Blizzard of Ozz for xmas and he didn't like it. We traded and my fate was sealed, I've been a metal head ever since.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My mom got me the Go-Go's first album (on cassette actually) for xmas back in 1981. I did not care for it. Took it back to school with me a couple weeks later and found a classmate who's mom got him Blizzard of Ozz for xmas and he didn't like it. We traded and my fate was sealed, I've been a metal head ever since.

One of the best decisions you've ever made I reckon

• Members

I thought the key was listening to what you enjoy and makes you happy? I like some very feminine music, but the go-gos cross that line for me personally. Just don't enjoy most of it. I would argue the majority of men don't listen to the go-gos in any shape or form, so perhaps you are the minority

• Members

"I thought the key was listening to what you enjoy and makes you happy?"

Absolutely! As a listener, I think there's a push/pull between scratching a known itch, and challenging yourself in order to expand the possible range of what might make you happy.

• Members

"He was always an official member of the Rolling Stones and was paid and treated accordingly as one."

Not trying to pick a bone, but you may want to read up on Ron Wood's "deal" ... I have no firsthand knowledge, but apparently there are several different levels of "official member," and the pay scale varies, to say the least. Some of that may be an explicit (and accepted) division regarding songwriting/publishing income, but there is a sense that Ron Wood was asked to tour and record and did not see proportionate income from those band activities.

Mick and Keith have a well-deserved reputation for plunging knives into backs, including one another's. It's sort of ironic that at one point, they were repped by Allen B. Klein, one of the all-time Evil Wizards of the music industry.

I know all about the Ron Wood "deal". He was never made an official member of the Stones organization until many many years after joining them. However Ian Stewart was/is not Ron Wood. Ron Wood was not a founding member of the band and was nowhere around in 1962 when Ian Stewart, Brian Jones and Keith Richards jammed for the very first time. This was even before Mick Jagger was in the group. If you knew anything about the Stones history you'd know that Ian Stewart was considered an equal member of the band live and in the studio. Of course he did not get any songwriting royalties but was paid for all his session work and was also paid as an equal member of the Stones when on tour. He was also their road manager for most of their early career. His presence in the band was so important to them that both Charlie Watts and Keith Richards still do this day consider it "Stu's band".

• Members

"I thought the key was listening to what you enjoy and makes you happy?"

Absolutely! As a listener, I think there's a push/pull between scratching a known itch, and challenging yourself in order to expand the possible range of what might make you happy.

One of these two isn't sure of his masculinity.

Guess which one.......................

• Members

One of these two isn't sure of his masculinity.

Guess which one.......................

Me? What do I win if I guessed correctly? A go-gos cd I hope...

I love the Mamas and the papas, and many many other girl driven vocal groups. My fave band ever is Queen, favorite songwriter being Freddie Mercury and that dude is as gay as they come. I just don't like overtly pop candy music, written and performed by man or woman. Is that ok with you?

• Members

"If you knew anything about the Stones history" ... :: eye roll :: Guess I missed that class. Wasn't aware this was a quiz.

Either way, thanks for corroborating what I *do* seem to know (though only third-hand) which is that Ron Wood was paid as a backline performer for a long time, when his shaggy 'do and playing was featured as part of the brand. Publishing's one thing; nine-figure tours are quite another, and I think he got a raw deal. Kudos to you for knowing Ian Stewart's true role in the Rolling Stones. Try to be educational instead of bitchy.

Meanwhile, I am just all agog at how HAWT Belinda became ... nice cheekbones! Heaven is a place on earth ... in her bedroom suite! Unfortunately, some odd memory is telling me she went all Jesus-y ... anyone know?

• Members

"If you knew anything about the Stones history" ... :: eye roll :: Guess I missed that class. Wasn't aware this was a quiz.

Either way, thanks for corroborating what I *do* seem to know (though only third-hand) which is that Ron Wood was paid as a backline performer for a long time, when his shaggy 'do and playing was featured as part of the brand. Publishing's one thing; nine-figure tours are quite another, and I think he got a raw deal.
Kudos to you for knowing Ian Stewart's true role in the Rolling Stones. Try to be educational instead of bitchy.

Meanwhile, I am just all agog at how HAWT Belinda became ... nice cheekbones! Heaven is a place on earth ... in her bedroom suite! Unfortunately, some odd memory is telling me she went all Jesus-y ... anyone know?

You're welcome for the education. Sorry but when I read posts from highly misinformed people I like to correct them. Next time do a little research before you post.

As for the GoGo's they sucked then and they still suck 30 years later...:lol:

• Members

I saw the Go Go's, Joan Jett and A Flock Of Seagulls on tour in late 1982 at the original Charlotte Coliseum (Now Bojangles Coliseum)

They were good, but it was obvious Charlotte Caffey was about to drop. She hung her head the entire show.

• Members

It seems like the bias is on the pro-Go Gos side because they're pretty . Looking at them purely objectively, they didn't rock. We got the beat was a cool song and if all their other ones were like that, I might have a different opinion. But their whole "lips are sealed" / "vacation" girlie song thing that turned out to be their true colors was pretty flaccid, even if I wasn't when viewing their album covers.

• Members

I can appreciate the Go-go's for what they are. Good bubble-gum, but the flavor wears thin quickly. They're enjoyable in brief doses, but ultimately will want to spit them out. I was also obsessed with bubble gum as a kid, but you have to keep refreshing the supply to get a decent flavor, which gets tedious.

Archived