I'm obsessed with Go-Go's.

honeyiscool

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I picked up a Belinda Carlisle record at Goodwill for $1. Frikkin sweet.

------------Maybe so, but she sold MILLIONS of her solo records(with at least TWO top-ten hits to her name:eek:), as well as becoming a big club headliner($$$), so she is happy no matter what:rolleyes:. Also, her records get great royality money for them since they are staples of Lite-Fm, Pop and Dance radio station playlists:thu:.....................The REAL Rocker

• Members
Yeah but Belinda's solo {censored} sucked.

^_^

I mean, Heaven Is a Place on Earth? This, from the original drummer for The Germs.

--------------------Well, depends on how you look at it. The rest of the Germs are asking people if they want fries with their burgers now:eek::lol:. Belinda went to number one, and made a huge amount of money, and is still a pop music icon. Maybe you aren't her fan, but there are still a lot of people who are(and for the record, I think they are okay, but not my favorite thing).........................The REAL Rocker.

• Members

Other than the few girls that really liked their first album, when they came out, they were mostly considered a musical joke. A lot of people listened to them, sure, because everyone wanted to be in on the joke. Nobody I ever knew, and I mean, NObody, ever took them seriously as a real band, and considered them to be anything more than a joke. In fact, they were such a joke, I dont think people even thought the GoGos considered themselves anything more than a joke. Dont know if that was actually their intentions, but that is just what I remember the public perception of them being. They were like a cute saturday night live skit and had done cutesy fun little songs, but it appeared to me they existed for the purpose of being a gimmick and a novelty. Intentionally.

I never even considered they took themselves seriously as a real band until Belinda Carlisle came out with her solo career, and I was like, wow, she must like this show bizz thing because she is actually trying to be a real singer.

I'm not rating their music or trying to belittle them at all. They had a couple fun little songs but I'm just relating to you what the public perception of them was in the day. I never knew anyone, including themselves actually considered them a serious real band.

I guess maybe they were? I guess? If that is true, I never would have known it back then.

Cool that you like them though. I tend to like things ranging from Wagnerian operas on the serious side, all the way to the most mindless poppy dumbass bubblegum nonsense including stuff like the GoGos, and everything in between.

• Members

--------------------Well, depends on how you look at it. The rest of the Germs are asking people if they want fries with their burgers now:eek:
:lol:
. Belinda went to number one, and made a huge amount of money, and is still a pop music icon. Maybe you aren't her fan, but there are still a lot of people who are(and for the record, I think they are okay, but not my favorite thing).........................The REAL Rocker.

Actually isn't Pat touring with the Foo Fighters?

• Moderators

Other than the few girls that really liked their first album, when they came out, they were mostly considered a musical joke. A lot of people listened to them, sure, because everyone wanted to be in on the joke. Nobody I ever knew, and I mean, NObody, ever took them seriously as a real band, and considered them to be anything more than a joke. In fact, they were such a joke, I dont think people even thought the GoGos considered themselves anything more than a joke. Dont know if that was actually their intentions, but that is just what I remember the public perception of them being. They were like a cute saturday night live skit and had done cutesy fun little songs, but it appeared to me they existed for the purpose of being a gimmick and a novelty. Intentionally.

I sure wish I could put out a few double platinum jokes!

• Members

Well, they rule, too. But I wouldn't really consider them the same genre at all.

Yes, this is the difference, the B5's were considered very trendy, fun, wierd, but they still garnered a lot of respect for being decent musicians and a serious band. Not at all the same perception as the GoGos back in the day.

It is just odd to me to hear people talk about the GoGos today as if they were a serious thing.aybe they were, but I just didn't see evidence of it back then. It was almost like they were paraded around as a sort of circus sideshow that was more novelty than band. If there is anyone around in this thread my age, 47, that was around when they came out, I'd be curious to hear if your perception of them is the same as mine, or did you have different views of them?

I'm seriously curious because I just find it odd to hear them being talked about as serious. I never saw anyone doing that in their heyday.

• Members

I sure wish I could put out a few double platinum jokes!

Yeah, like I said, I'm not belittling them at all. I'd be all over writing, producing and putting that band together and banking it too. That wasn't my point.

I have just never heard anyone talk about them like a serious band before. Ever. And it caught me a little off guard, like did me and everyone I knew back then miss something? You mean they were a REAL band? Who knew?

• Moderators

I have just never heard anyone talk about them like a serious band before. Ever. And it caught me a little off guard, like did me and everyone I knew back then miss something? You mean they were a REAL band? Who knew?

I'm 35, so I obviously wasn't aware of them when they released BaTB and Vacation. While they're obviosly not "serious" in they're just fun new-wave pop, they always seemed to me to be pretty consistently smart, self-aware, and really hook-saavy, so I never really thought of them as merely a novelty. That, and that they seem to make it on all kinds of "top whatever" lists and are generally (at least now) well-regarded by critics.

Novelty will get you pretty far in pop music, but an album staying at #1 for weeks and weeks makes me think there must have been a good number of people at the time who "got it".

And in retrospect, I sort of think of them as "proto Riot Grls". I'm sure L7, Bikini Kill, etc all would acknowledge they owe the Go-Gos quite a bit. They may have been poppy but they had definite punk energy and attitude.

• Members

It is just odd to me to hear people talk about the GoGos today as if they were a serious thing.aybe they were, but I just didn't see evidence of it back then. It was almost like they were paraded around as a sort of circus sideshow that was more novelty than band. If there is anyone around in this thread my age, 47, that was around when they came out, I'd be curious to hear if your perception of them is the same as mine, or did you have different views of them?

I'm seriously curious because I just find it odd to hear them being talked about as serious. I never saw anyone doing that in their heyday.

I don't know. You're 47, so that makes you what, 16 when Beauty and the Beat came out? Is that really an age where you could have truly done your research about what people thought of the band?

Arriving at a time and place where girl rock bands just really hadn't been seen before to this level, do you think the media truly gave them a fair shake? Female acts have always had a tough time being accepted for who they are, and I'm sure suits at the top tried to make the Go-Go's into what they wanted to be.

B-52s had way more underground credibility probably because they weren't that popular for a long time and a had a long career and their biggest hit is not even representative of their sound. Go-Go's, meanwhile, sure, they came from the same underground LA punk scene that produced a lot of "respected" bands, I think they have plenty of credibility in that sense, but their very first effort was a sunny pop album that went straight to the top of the charts. That probably made people want to paint them with the same dismissive brush that people usually reserve for the Spice Girls of the world, despite the fact that the girls wrote and played all the songs on the album and did it on their own.

So sure, I'm sure your observations were correct. But I think it's an extremely unfair characterization. One thing's for sure, though. The Go-Go's probably have influenced the subsequent generation of musicians more than a lot of "serious" music that came out in 1981.

• Members

Yeah, like I said, I'm not belittling them at all. I'd be all over writing, producing and putting that band together and banking it too. That wasn't my point.

Go-Go's were not a produced band. Their two guitarists wrote pretty much all of their songs and they used to share a practice space with X and started as a punk band.

• Members

Dude, are you posting with 2 different user names?

Ha, no, I just think ".........................The REAL Rocker." is like the funniest thing I've ever seen so I started randomly using it about a week ago.

I guess I'm really.........................The FAKE Rocker.

• Members

I don't know. You're 47, so that makes you what, 16 when
Beauty and the Beat
came out?
Is that really an age where you could have truly done your research about what people thought of the band?
Arriving at a time and place where girl rock bands just really hadn't been seen before to this level, do you think the media truly gave them a fair shake? Female acts have always had a tough time being accepted for who they are, and I'm sure suits at the top tried to make the Go-Go's into what they wanted to be.

B-52s had way more underground credibility probably because they weren't that popular for a long time and a had a long career and their biggest hit is not even representative of their sound. Go-Go's, meanwhile, sure, they came from the same underground LA punk scene that produced a lot of "respected" bands, I think they have plenty of credibility in that sense, but their very first effort was a sunny pop album that went straight to the top of the charts. That probably made people want to paint them with the same dismissive brush that people usually reserve for the Spice Girls of the world, despite the fact that the girls wrote and played all the songs on the album and did it on their own.

So sure, I'm sure your observations were correct. But I think it's an extremely unfair characterization. One thing's for sure, though. The Go-Go's probably have influenced the subsequent generation of musicians more than a lot of "serious" music that came out in 1981.

how old were you when the GoGos and B52s were just starting to be visible?

just curious about your research.

• Members

... It is just odd to me to hear people talk about the GoGos today as if they were a serious thing.aybe they were, but I just didn't see evidence of it back then. It was almost like they were paraded around as a sort of circus sideshow that was more novelty than band. If there is anyone around in this thread my age, 47, that was around when they came out, I'd be curious to hear if your perception of them is the same as mine, or did you have different views of them? ...

I'm 49. They were a novelty, new-wave, Top-40 act. Their career was built on '80s cuteness. If they were fat and ugly you never would have heard of them ...

• Members
I've always thought Our Lips are Sealed was their best song....really well written and arranged.

Me too. Fun song and video. As for them being a "serious" band, we're talking about an era that produced The Buggles, Devo, Flock of Seagulls, and Men without Hats. :lol: Being serious wasn't high on the agenda.

Archived