I'm obsessed with Go-Go's.

honeyiscool

• Members

Massive ignorance in this thread .... hardly unexpected. Honey, the Go Go's were an OK band, who had a fantastic first album. I am going from a very addled memory, but if I recall it was produced by Richard Gottehrer, hardly an amateur or guy "thumbing his nose" at the music industry. Miles Copeland signed them to IRS based on looks and songs - which were terrific. If you haven't sat and spent time with that first album, you really oughtn't to open your uninformed mouth. The album cuts are deep: "Lust To Love" and "Fading Fast" are but two such gems.

As a band, they had a reputation as total party pigs / road warrioresses (or whatever the female noun is).

Back then there was a sense that they were not taken as seriously as they should have been because of a lot of pathetic sexism. Looks like some things take time to change.

As for Bananarama, you really need to delve very, very deeply into the entire Stock, Aitken Waterman thing (and let's not forget Swain and Jolley) to understand. Very English, very different from the Go Go's.

Next someone's going to say the 3 O'Clock weren't taken very seriously. Jesus.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Massive ignorance in this thread .... hardly unexpected. Honey, the Go Go's were an OK band, who had a fantastic first album. I am going from a very addled memory, but if I recall it was produced by Richard Gottehrer, hardly an amateur or guy "thumbing his nose" at the music industry. Miles Copeland signed them to IRS based on looks and songs - which were terrific. If you haven't sat and spent time with that first album, you really oughtn't to open your uninformed mouth. The album cuts are deep: "Lust To Love" and "Fading Fast" are but two such gems.

As a band, they had a reputation as total party pigs / road warrioresses (or whatever the female noun is).

Back then there was a sense that they were not taken as seriously as they should have been because of a lot of pathetic sexism. Looks like some things take time to change.

As for Bananarama, you really need to delve very, very deeply into the entire Stock, Aitken Waterman thing (and let's not forget Swain and Jolley) to understand. Very English, very different from the Go Go's.

Next someone's going to say the 3 O'Clock weren't taken very seriously. Jesus.

+1 Very well put.

• Members

Yeah, it's annoying. Looks and hooks have gotten people signed and famous, girl or guy. Besides, look get people in the door, but it's ultimately substance that makes people relevant for a long time. We like to conveniently forget that the Rolling Stones fired Ian Stewart for not being a skinny pretty boy, but they definitely did, and they're not the only respected band to do something like that, but nobody would dare say question their songwriting ability or say they were a joke for repping a certain image. And plenty of guy rock bands have partied hard and burned out harder, but you don't question their credibility either. So why would you do that to a girl band other than they are girls? I always say that musicians are haters, but questioning a musician's credibility is about as haterish as it gets. Just question the music itself if you don't like it. That's fine.

Just appreciate the fact that 20 somethings can sit around in a room in 2012 jamming out to tunes recorded in 1981 and have great fun doing it. Why? Probably b/c they got the beat.

Anyway, I haven't heard much Bananarama other than "Cruel Summer." So I shouldn't make too much assumptions, but I think I would have been more susceptible to that kind of sound five years ago. These days I like hearing stuff with more punk rock influences.

• Members

nope he didn't take the to research. if he did, he would have known that wiedlin, caffrey and carlisle wrong the majority of their stuff.

And ironically, The Bangles, who came after the Go Gos and got a level of respect as musicians that the Go Gos never quite got...all of their big hits were written and produced by men. Manic Monday, In Your Room, Walk Like an Egyptian, Eternal Flame...

Not to knock The Bangles, they are obviously talented. It's just how things worked out. But the Go Gos wrote their hits. They should get credit for that.

• Members

Agreeance. Wiedlin has been pretty respected by actual career musicians for some time. Not that her personality is what you'd call 'sunny.'

Tiger Trap? You're probably jealous then of my 10" vinyl of the "Sourgrass" EP, replete with a nice note inside from Calvin. I used to be tight with the K Records people, back when Beck was taking a Greyhound up from LA to record "One Foot In the Grave" with Scotty Plouf in Calvin's basement. Jesus, what a nostalgia ride! Long Live the Trap! What did you think of the Softies? I didn't like them anywhere near as much ...

Anyhow, Gina Shock was also considered a fairly decent drummer, perhaps not John Bonham but then, she never drowned in her own vomit and she's not half as bad as a lot of crappy "indie rock" drummers I encountered in the 90's ...

Songs. One quick listen to the intro bass riff for "Our Town" just says it all: serious songwriting chops. Damn straight the songs kept them relevant; this is why no one really gives a {censored} about Kim Wilde, despite her Dad's connections and the American Wipeout Mix of "Kids In America."

And it's true the Bangles' major hits were not their own, but they were also decent musicians. And, uh, Susana Hoffs isn't totally ugly.

Now, Honey, what you *need* to do for your musical education is to click here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_Aitken_Waterman and read.

• Members

The Go Go's are great. I'm 44 played hard rock in the eighties, but listened to everything. I remember throwing Go Go's tunes on a ton of my mix tapes for listening in the car. My friends would always crack jokes about them, but then would end up singing along. That is the power of a well written pop song.

I saw them play in the last decade, they were a machine live. They were tight and I couldn't detect any backing tracks (something that annoys me when seeing a band live.)

• Members

Not to stereotype too much but this is why I think I like music made by women so much. I mean, try to deny or counter me all you want, but men and women
are
different, and the music they create often vibe very differently. (Band dynamics are different, too.)

So I really dig how the Go-Go's never try to be any smarter musically than they need to be and focus on the important stuff, the groove and the melody. They do surprise you, sometimes, though. For instance, in that song, "Our Lips Are Sealed," the E major comes out of nowhere. Anyway, I like this band.

This is their best tune IMO , great bassline

• Members

Well, in STDs men and women are equal.

not really, chlamydia is the most common STD and women are more susceptible-especially younger women.

Men have about an 8" (monster) urethra that protects us more than Womens 2-3" (little baby) urethra.

that said Jane Weidlin is freakin hot!

when I was little I loved the Go Gos and Blondie and my older biker Uncle used to punch me for that. ha what a douche he died of lung cancer a few years ago.

• Members

---------------Nope, it's just a dip-sh*t who finds nobody's interested in him, so he tries to be me:rolleyes:. I don't understand why he wants to lick my b**ls:p, but whatever. He's a follower, and thus dispensible. I can live with that....................The REAL Rocker.

Not sure if sociopath

• Members

Yeah, it's annoying. Looks and hooks have gotten people signed and famous, girl or guy. Besides, look get people in the door, but it's ultimately substance that makes people relevant for a long time. We like to conveniently forget that
the Rolling Stones fired Ian Stewart
for not being a skinny pretty boy, but they definitely did, and they're not the only respected band to do something like that, but nobody would dare say question their songwriting ability or say they were a joke for repping a certain image. And plenty of guy rock bands have partied hard and burned out harder, but you don't question their credibility either. So why would you do that to a girl band other than they are girls? I always say that musicians are haters, but questioning a musician's credibility is about as haterish as it gets. Just question the music itself if you don't like it. That's fine.

Just appreciate the fact that 20 somethings can sit around in a room in 2012 jamming out to tunes recorded in 1981 and have great fun doing it. Why? Probably b/c they got the beat.

Anyway, I haven't heard much Bananarama other than "Cruel Summer." So I shouldn't make too much assumptions, but I think I would have been more susceptible to that kind of sound five years ago. These days I like hearing stuff with more punk rock influences.

Incorrect. The Stones did not fire Ian Stewart. He as just asked to simply stay in the backround. He was always an official member of the Rolling Stones and was paid and treated accordingly as one. He played on every single Stones album and tour until his death in 1986. I'd say he was probably the luckiest of them all since he made a lot of money and no one would ever recognize him on the street.

• Members

"He was always an official member of the Rolling Stones and was paid and treated accordingly as one."

Not trying to pick a bone, but you may want to read up on Ron Wood's "deal" ... I have no firsthand knowledge, but apparently there are several different levels of "official member," and the pay scale varies, to say the least. Some of that may be an explicit (and accepted) division regarding songwriting/publishing income, but there is a sense that Ron Wood was asked to tour and record and did not see proportionate income from those band activities.

Mick and Keith have a well-deserved reputation for plunging knives into backs, including one another's. It's sort of ironic that at one point, they were repped by Allen B. Klein, one of the all-time Evil Wizards of the music industry.

• Members

No, it doesn't count! Get on the Go Go's bus! (it would be the pink one rocking from side to side ....)

Dig Caffey's sweet JM on this, and how much hawtness Belinda picked up:

I'll bet the audience action at this show was just "Cougar and Cub" heaven ... can smell the Chanel products from here ....

Archived