I first came to this forum...

bluesnapper

• Members

... when I was looking for a new amplifier. The HC reviews were really helpful, I checked out a few 'which amp?' threads, looked for advice, browsed, read, absorbed. It was at least 5 years after first coming to he HC general site that I signed up for the forum and started posting. Actually it must have been 10 years or more since I first came here back when the site hosted tabs, back in the pre-Harry Fox days of OLGA and so on...

There's a lot of empty bragging, one-upmanship, trolling and inane chitterchat around here lately... some fun and amusing, some less so... but on top of that there still remains a core of good posters, useful information and excellent advice. But I've seen the members whose opinions I respect drop away lately. I hope they all don't disappear and find something better to do.

Anyway... how and when and why did you first come here? What made you stay?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

according to my profile page, i joined here in september 2006. but it feels like i've been here longer. i honestly don't remember why i first came here, but i do know that this was my first online forum (and six years later, i only participate in one other forum, but far less frequently). i'm sure i found this place researching gear, liked the resident knowledge and accepting nature of the community at the time and just kept showing up.

the closest i think i'll come to a soapbox speech: i think this forum had a lot of great contributors that stopped showing up as a result of the HC 2.0 upgrade debacle. there are still lots of great people who participate, so don't get me wrong, but there were some really cool characters who i'd love to see come back and start to reinject themselves into this place.

all that said, there are also newer members who have that same "spark" that some of the "old guard" had. i see a little of the old place in forumites like HoneyIsCool and maybe Skyforger. and there have always been forumites who will brag, compete, incite, annoy and struggle for relevance. many come and go. some stick around. it's usually easy to ignore and avoid. sometimes it's entertaining.

i think the saying goes "you can't step into the same river twice". change is to be embraced, and i will stick around through changes as long as this place still feels like a place to learn, share, appreciate and maybe even daydream a little.

• Members

... when I was looking for a new amplifier. The HC reviews were really helpful, I checked out a few 'which amp?' threads, looked for advice, browsed, read, absorbed. It was at least 5 years after first coming to he HC general site that I signed up for the forum and started posting. Actually it must have been 10 years or more since I first came here back when the site hosted tabs, back in the pre-Harry Fox days of OLGA and so on...

There's a lot of empty bragging, one-upmanship, trolling and inane chitterchat around here lately... some fun and amusing, some less so... but on top of that there still remains a core of good posters, useful information and excellent advice.
But I've seen the members whose opinions I respect drop away lately. I hope they all don't disappear and find something better to do.

Anyway... how and when and why did you first come here? What made you stay?

It's a constant flow.....that is, of attention whores. Don't worry, there's always one to replace another desperate typer.

• Members

Apparently I signed up here in June 2008 but I know I lurked for a while before that.

I signed up because this forum seemed to share the same love for gear and music that I had and it was a great wealth of knowledge when I started playing guitar. There were very few places that seemed as inviting with contributing members of all levels of playing, from touring players, sessions musicians, weekend warriors, and beginners like I was. The gear discussions and opinions were also helpful, even if sometimes slightly bias towards certain brands.

• Members

Hrmm... I've lurked here off and on since 1999. At a birthday party, we were playing a few songs and disagreed on the key a couple songs were in so I went to the OLGA which was the library of tabs that used to be here.

I think I registered to ask a question about a certain guitar... I think a JV Series Squier. Or maybe to ask about the differences between a JV and an SQ series... something like that.

There are some good folks here and some that don't contribute much on the positive side. It's all good though. It's a free place and I can ignore whoever I so choose.

:lol:

• Members

Wow, I had not even thought about OLGA until you mentioned it in a long time bluesnapper. I lurked here forever before I joined. I came from an acoustic background and was curious about electrics, 4000 posts and 6 years later...

• Members

I found this place because I was searching for info and reviews on gear after being away from the musician's world for a long time. I agree with GD that it has changed since I joined, but it actually changed a lot some time back before the HC2.0 debacle.

• Members

I think I first came here back in like 08, I think. I just lurked around here and on the effects forum just to gain knowledge on what the best guitars and pedals were and whatever. I actually joined back in march of 2010 but still have been just lurking around, hence the 5 posts :lol:

• Members

I used to write reviews on HC all the time, and for nearly all of my gear. A few years ago, I jumped on the boards just as a way to kill some time, and I think my first post was in the FX forum. I responded to a post about pedalboards on the EG forum here, and someone had mentioned that my answer was helpful. That made me feel good, and I continued to read and post here. I wouldn't say that I'm one of the "respected" members, but I do enjoy wasting time here. There's lots to learn, I can help sometimes, and the community as a whole is pretty good. Some members are endlessly entertaining, others post awesome videos, some have great tips, and most people post pics of guitars, which is once of the reasons I'm here.

• Members

I don't remember how I came upon this forum either. It may have been through a Google search that led me to a thread. Anyways I remember when I first joined Botoman would always answer a lot of my question. He always had good stuff to share about Strats and Squiers. He got banned..... The other member who I miss having their input was Atrox. He still comes around once in a blue moon, but it's honestly very rarely.

One of the major changes I have seen, and don't understand why, is the lack of boobies on NGD threads. I always do my part to put up boobs, but those have definitely lessened in the last couple of years.

• Members

I just found a user review I posted here on June 25, 2000. That's crazy when i think about it. So, I've been around these parts for 12 years now. I found the forums over 10 years ago. Everyone I knew left after HC 2.0. I've had long stints on the KSS, the bass forum, and now I post here and on HCFX when I feel I have something to add. This place has always been a haven for knowledge for me... Of course, there's plenty of shenanigans here too. I find both entertaining usually. Usually... :)

• Members

Not really sure, I think because this was the busiest forum back in the day and was pretty entertaining as well as informative. TGP was way out of my league plus I hate that there are no avatars over there.

If this place got rid of avatars I would likely stop posting or at least post very infrequently... I can only remember users by their pictures, not by their names.

• Members

When I stumbled in here I had already made a couple guitars (after taking a class) and had purchased a SX Telestyle from Rondo and pickups from Guitar Fetish so I could get into modding guitars to my liking.

The forum gave me a social outlet for gear and music in general because frankly it's an interest I share with very few poeple in my social circles.

• Members

I came here August of 06 just as it states under my avatar. I found out about this place when I was on a smaller forum and somebody complained about HC. I visited and decided it might be an interesting place. I found it fun and entertaining.

In my very first thread, I was called a troll. I was only only guilty of acting like a noob.

People have come and gone but I think the behavior has remained about the same. But, I think this place has a way of getting to some people over time. It's a bit like milk that has gone sour.

• Members

My join date says 2007, but I was here long before that...probably 2002 or thereabouts. I first came here for the OLGA tabs and the musicians wanted ads. Then I discovered that the Monster Rack forum was an excellent repository of bewb pics. I either forgot my first forum ID or it was disappeared in one of the updates.

It's too bad a lot of people left during the 2.0 update. It took awhile, but the page got functional again and I honestly can't remember what it was like before.

Archived