Name dropper thread - who famous/semi-famous have you met in person?

jetydosa

• Members

some I can remember.

Chris Duarte
Paul Westerburg
Janey Street
Pat Benetar and her husband (Neil whatever)
Charlie Daniels
Tanya Tucker
Lita Ford
Rick Medlocke
Jeff Carlisi
Dave Pirner
Martin Zellar
Sheryl Crow
Pete Stroud
The keyboardist from Head East
Shawn Colvin
Liz Phair

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John Foggerty; Pomona Fairgrounds; Guitar Show; about 15 years ago.

I recognized him while checking-out the various vintage guitars, and was struck by how short he was in person. We spoke a few words of acknowledgement to him, and shook his hand. Nice fellow.

Oddly, this event, shared with two friends, has evolved--in a purely humorous way--and when it is told to others, it is the story of how we were dissed by Foggerty, and one of us had to be held-back by the other two from engaging him in fisticuffs.

• Members
I'll listen to the cool story bro
:wave:

Thanks Nuke :cry: Thankyou for caring! V.Cool u met JenBat btw!

So....... Back in 2000 I went to see Vai at Glasgow Barrowlands (fricken awesome venue btw), on his ultrazone tour. Eric sardinas supporting (Hi-Octane Blues on Steriods). Anyhoo...... at the end of the show, I went to the stalls, and bought a Vai tour T-shirt as you do. It was around

• Members

Hmmmmm ....semi-famous, perhaps...Ranking Roger and Dave Wakeling (General Public, formerly of English Beat), Lene Lovich, Leonard Graves Phillips and Stan Lee (Dickies), James Cotton, Skyla Burrell, Biscuit Miller, Rick DiFonzo (met him playing bars in The A's, met him again in the "house band" on a WMMR Zoo Cruise on our honeymoon after having toured with Waters doing The Wall).....a few more I can't really remember, nobody uber famous...

• Members

I've met Nugent and Gibbons.

If you've heard of The Gaslight Anthem, I got to hang out with them after a show, Brian Fallon wished my friend a happy birthday via the phone.

They were all just regular guys, and were really happy after their show. It was cool to see how stoaked they were just to play. Still probably the best show I've been to.

10525_146951268586_5315896_n.jpg

I don't know what was up with my hair, nor the Ed hardy shirt :facepalm:

• Members

I met Alex Lifeson at a gas station in Dallas last summer. He was asking for directions to a children's hospital, and seemed a bit annoyed I didn't recognize him "I play guitar in a rock band..." he told me. "Oh, cool..." and I kept trying to give him directions. After I was done, he told me he was Alex Lifeson and shook my hand.

I bought a guitar amp from Reverend Horton Heath about 20 years ago, via some mutual friends. The amp was beat to hell and had a blown speaker, I fixed it up and it's still my main amp today.

• Members

I met Vanilla Ice at Jillian's (one of those places like Dave & Busters where they have arcades and a restaraunt) where we were both playing pool about 8-9 years ago. He had his whole posse with him. I won a private party and he was doing a show later that night. Other than his posse, he seemed pretty normal.

• Members

I haven't met much in the way of rock royalty, but I HAVE met every FIFA referee in North America over the past 15 years and most of the well-known USMNT and MLS players as well as a few choice internationals like Messi, Ibrahimovic, etc. (from when European teams do their barnstorming tours of the US during the Summer...)

• Members

Carlos Santana and Paul Reed Smith (at the same time)

Phish (a bunch of times)

Dickie Betts

BB King

Buddy Guy

Sheryl Crow

Robert Randolph

Kevin Bacon

Chris Barron

Ian Anderson

John Popper

Arlo Guthrie

Tom Smothers

Derek Trucks

Susan Tedeschi

Joan Jett

Rick Danko

Paul Kantner

Bobby Weir

Jorma Kaukonen

Sarah MacLaughlin

Grace Potter

Kevin Bacon

George Clinton

Bill Clinton

George the Animal Steel

A bunch more...

• Members

I wrote the theme music to "Jack Hannah's Animal Adventures" TV show and also the bumper music for Julie Scardina's TV segment at the Sandiego Zoo. Through Jack Hanna, I also got to meet Steve Erwin, Jeff Corwin and Steves daugher, Bindy.

My brother dated Brad Johnson's wife, Nicky Richt, sister of Mark Richt, College football head coach, who I knew, with Brad, and also Bobby Bowden.

My brother dated Nickie before she married Brad, of course, but they are still friends to this day, years later.

Another of my brothers exes was a close friend of Robin Leach, who I met on multiple occasions.

I don't know what the fascination of meeting celebrities is.

I've met probably hundreds of them and never saw them as anything other than regular people with cool jobs.

Out of all the people I have ever met, I don't think I have ever asked one of them for an autograph or to take a picture with them.

Just never saw the fascination with it.

• Members

I've met probably hundreds of them and never saw them as anything other than regular people with cool jobs.

Out of all the people I have ever met, I don't think I have ever asked one of them for an autograph or to take a picture with them.

When you're working with celebs, it's considered unprofessional to ask for autographs/photos, and I never have. It would take a lot for me to be starstruck, but I also feel lucky to have had the opportunity to meet a few of my musical heroes.

• Members

I wrote the theme music to "Jack Hannah's Animal Adventures" TV show and also the bumper music for Julie Scardina's TV segment at the Sandiego Zoo. Through Jack Hanna, I also got to meet Steve Erwin, Jeff Corwin and Steves daugher, Bindy.

My brother dated Brad Johnson's wife, Nicky Richt, sister of Mark Richt, College football head coach, who I knew, with Brad, and also Bobby Bowden.

My brother dated Nickie before she married Brad, of course, but they are still friends to this day, years later.

Another of my brothers exes was a close friend of Robin Leach, who I met on multiple occasions.

Every time I see Bindy I get choked up thinking how proud Steve would be/ or is. Such an amazing young lady, who obviously will continue where Steve left us. She will make a big impact, in her lifetime...no doubt. What a guy he was!

• Members

Musician, sort of... My mate and I went to see Tommy Chong way back in the late 80's. After the show, we approached him and asked if he wanted to smoke a joint. It was a pretty casual place and he obliged but didn't want to do it publicly so he invited us into his room where we played a little guitar thereafter. He used to play a bit of guitar when he was doing stand up, as part of his routine. He was really cool and funny.

• Members

Every time I see Bindy I get choked up thinking how proud Steve would be/ or is. Such an amazing young lady, who obviously will continue where Steve left us. She will make a big impact, in her lifetime...no doubt. What a guy he was!

Totally agree.

When I met them, Steve was exactly as you know him from tv, very enthusiastic, extremely polite, happy, good natured, and just a great guy. He would not stop talking about animals and conservation. Bindy was really small, she was just learning to talk and she already had the it factor.

I knew she could be a bigger star than either of her parents if that is where she chose to go.

Looks like she is well on her way. An absolutely adorable little girl.

It chokes me up a little too to see her shows where they interweave clips of her father in there as if he is still around and right there with her.

Hard to believe he has been gone for five years already.

The Irwin family are amazing people.

Archived