Name dropper thread - who famous/semi-famous have you met in person?

jetydosa

• Members

Allan Holdsworth (aka The Nicest Guy on Earth), Brad Gillis & Jeff Watson (Night Ranger), Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple), & Steve Walsh (Kansas).

Oh yeah, all the guys in Head East. We opened for them once and the bastards blew up a monitor of ours. Wouldn't pay for it either.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I met Rod Price shortly before he died. It was kind of wierd because no one else in the room had any idea of his level of fame. He was just an ordinary Joe. I think that's probably why he chose to live in that town. Nice guy - you'd never in a million years have suspected that at one time he played for Foghat.

I met Hiram Bullock briefly in Baltimore before he played guitar. He was playing bass in a local band. He stole the heart of a girl I had a crush on. But he didn't return her affection any more than she returned mine. At least that's my recollection of the situation.

• Members

Alan Jackson, but it was before he was famous. A friend of mine was a guitarist in Alan's local band. I got to attend a band practice in the drummer's basement. Alan was a good mimic. He could sound like Hank Jr. or George Jones when he wanted to.

Robert Plant - OK, I didn't actually meet him, but I was sitting on a bench watching some ice skaters & turned my head & saw him standing 5 feet away from me. I refrained from being a complete goober & left him alone.

Sutherland Bros. & Quiver - I got to visit them backstage at a club they were playing.

Nancy Travis - She was shooting a movie in my hometown. She's a tiny little thing & as cute as can be. She was slightly drunk, but still came across as a nice person.

Jerry Clower - I met him not too long before he died.

Okefenokee Joe - He was a nice guy. We must have talked for 20 minutes or so.

• Members

Robert Plant - OK, I didn't actually meet him, but I was sitting on a bench watching some ice skaters & turned my head & saw him standing 5 feet away from me. I refrained from being a complete goober & left him alone.

He's actually an awesome, awesome guy. And tall as hell!!! Like 6' 5" or so.

When I first got out of the Army, I worked security for a company in Boston that owns 2 hotels, 2 restaurants, and a 24-hour bowling alley/pool hall. Plant is quite the tenpin bowler, and came in at like 1am after a gig in Boston.

This place was packed even at 1am, so a crowd quickly formed around his lane. We kept people from bothering him, but he couldn't have been nicer. He'd bowl his frame, then come over to the crowd, sign autographs, pose for pictures, then go back to his bowling. He kept that up the entire time he was there, almost 2 hours. He then worked the crowd for another 30 minutes before leaving. Before he left, he agreed to call a guy's girlfriend from a pay phone (before cell phones) and sing "Happy Birthday" to her, which I guess freaked her out.

So Robert Plant = :thu: in my book.

• Members

fI grew p with Steve J (drummer) from Sum 41, so I've met them and a group of similar players last yearat HOB....

Miked up all the top poker players when I was A2 for the Heads Up poker (NBC) shoot last year..

James woods and were there.

Met Will ray of the Hellecasters at a workshop.

Doobie Brothers, was in the green room after a concert, really nice guys!

Probably a bnch more, it's late and I'm tired...... damn getting ol sucks.

• Members

Ive got a pretty long list myself, having worked as a backstage bartender for a huge music arena, small stint doing freelance music journalism, and to an extent working for guitar center.

My favorite would probably be hanging out with and interviewing Jerry Only (the Misfits) in his tour bus, while James Hetfield kept jumping in and adding his 2cents despite me not wanting it...

• Members

I've met mostly "local talent":

Marshall Tucker Band (see them around town and @ benefits, etc.)

Cravin Melon (see above)

Hootie & the Blowfish

Edwin McCain (used to shop frequently at an outdoors outfitter store I managed)

Duncan Sheik

the girls from Christian band Point of Grace

4Him

Bob Dylan's touring guitarist (forgot his name)

• Members

-Went to middle school with Springsteens son so I know the whole family.

-Met Bon Jovi three times

-Played football with Little Steven, Bruce, and Nils

-Personal friend with Roy Bittan

-Met and on first name basis with Denny Lane (Moody Blues/Wings) Spencer Davis (Spencer Davis Group: got Steve Winwood famous), Terry Sylvester (replaced Graham Nash when he joined The Hollies) and the guy who put Beatles and Stones on radio whose name I currently forget.

-Met guys from Velvet Revolver ie Slash, Duff, Matt Sorum, etc.

-Conan O'Brien

- first name basis with Max Weinberg

- Jessica Alba

- Girl from show "Veronica Mars"

- Tom Hanks

-Billy Crystal

- Jeff Levine (trained by Billy Preston, producer/player/arranger for Joe Cocker, Chambers Brothers, and Hall and Oates. Also played with Mike Bloomfield and SRV..coolest part, hes my boss!

*Edit*

I forgot to add that when I USED to like punk I met some of those guys

H20

Dropkick Murphys

(International) Noise Conspiracy

Bouncing Souls

Killswitch Engage

• Members

Not that many.

Billy Idol before he went to the states..used to bump into him a lot.

Sting- spent the evening in the dressing room with the Police at the rock Garden in London.

Rick Huxley- A good family friend, bass player for the Dave Clark five.

Toyah- used to play at her club "Mayhem" in Battersea, London.

And I'm currently in a band "Westway" where the other guitarist is Eddie Macdonald, former bass player with the Alarm, and co writer of "68 guns"

I also used to know a guy called Doug, who worked for VOX in their heyday, and was part of the team who did the sound for the Beatles at Shea stadium.

I've also met Jim Marshall- the father of loud.

I'm sure there are others!:thu:

Archived