Name dropper thread - who famous/semi-famous have you met in person?

jetydosa

• Members

I have a friend who is close with Jack White (Gillis). I have met him and the gang in Dead Weather (Dean Fertita from QOTSA, Jack Lawrence from Greenhornes/Raconteurs, Allison from The Kills, whom I think is one of the if not THE best female rock goddess out there right now..), got to do the afterparty, etc. Met his family....Very cool. Nice guy. This show was fantastic. I think this is Jack's best 'other' project, but, I have been a big fan since White Stripes.

Met the Meg White and her bf, Patty Smiths son post show when the Greenhornes were in town. Meg looks like Bjork with the body of Jessica Rabbit in person. Stunning.

Met Jaco 2 weeks before his death and talked with him one on one for about 30 minutes. He was beaten then, having just tangled with a bouncer upstate ( he played the Pub at Hawks Cay where I worked at the time).

Met Eddie Money in the early 90's when he rented a Kb from us at the store I worked at. Got to take it down and be instudio while they performed to navigate patches for the KB dude, then did the show and after party. Great show, nice guy, freaking tall.

Met Badfinger, or rather the two guys who were left. Very nice guys.

Met the Dead Milkmen. Odd birds, nice, but weird.

Met Timbuk 3 who my ex and I saw on our 3rd wedding anniversary. They were nice, sat and talked,etc.

Met Steve Howe. Total Dick. The guy in front of me asked him to sign a YES album he did not play on, he scoffed..

Met Chick Corea, Frank Gambale and his bass (who I spoke with the most, but whose name escapes me) player post show. Nice guys. Humbling to watch them play.

Met Cory Glover when Living Color were touring. Pretty stand offish.

All in all, meeting celebs is not that high on my agenda. Most of these were stumbled into. The only one I would really like to spend time with musically is Jack just because he is all over the map interest wise, and I think generally underrated as a musician and writer. I would still love to meet Geddy and the boys, but, since I have had backstage meet and greet passes three times and it has been cancelled each time, not hopeful.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SRV used to play in various clubs here in H Town back in the day before got famous outside the region, so I met him a couple of times. He was really nice and generous with his time once, and he was trashed and kinda out of it the other time. Dude had hands the size of {censored}ing trashcan lids.

Same kinda deal -- met the artist while seeing their show: Delbert McClinton, Jerry Jeff Walker, Zebra, Gibby Haynes, Kings X, Chris Duarte, Kim Wilson, Rev Willy G (who was checking out a Johnny Winter show I was at)

Non-guitar: (used to be a waiter long and long ago) I once waited on Hakeem Olajuwon (of course he was 'Akeem' back then) and Meadowlark Lemon. Real good tippers.

• Members

When I was working at Uhaul in Victoria BC a big tour bus came in with some trailer issues. Being their trailer hitch installer I got first crack at it. Then I find out it is Social Distortions tour bus :D!!

I am in the middle of repairs when Mike Ness comes rolling up with his parents in a police cruiser just to see how things where going :D!! Free tickets to the show and a very cool memory too boot!

On a side note, bus drivers for touring bands are the coolest dudes on the planet. Some very interesting stories.

Archived