Name dropper thread - who famous/semi-famous have you met in person?

jetydosa

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the time i met beyonce i was working for fun with my uncle who owns a sound company. they were hauling things that i couldn't have lifted (13 at the time) and he told me i could play my music through the soundboard. so i hooked my mp3 up and put on heartbreaker by zeppelin. then about 2 minutes later my uncle comes in because he wants to act like he gives a {censored} about beyonce, and he introduces me to her and i act all nice and tell her i'm a fan
:freak:
so i skip a song forward to living loving maid and then she says "ugggggggghhhh, will you stop playing your music" and at that point i got mad and said "only if you'll stop making yours"

:D
true story.

I give you my heartfelt gratitude for that.

• Members

I've met a number of bands in the past, but the one that sticks in my mind is meeting Dream Theater. The whole band was really nice, and it was really cool chatting with Mike Portnoy, and Derek Sherinian.

I've also exchanged e-mails with Steve Jobs before.

Edit:
How can I forget, when I was a kid I met Sargent Slaughter, and Lou Pinella!
I have an autographed baseball and glove from Lou, and a cool picture with Sarge! :)

• Members

well nobody probably knows who these dudes are, but:

Kevin Rose

Martin Seargent

Leo Laporte

Amber MacArthur

Scott Bourne

Andy Inatkho

I also briefly met Alex Albrecht, but we just said sorry to each other because we collided in a hallway at MacWorld...

EDIT: Almost forgot, I met Tom Merritt from Cnet's Buzz Out Loud show on the street in Oakland once...no idea where he was going or anything, but I recognized him and shouted "Hey Tom!" and he looked up and waved

Wow the old Tech TV crew. I was going to be a mod for Kevin's The Broken board. We exchanged emails.

I've met:

Matthew Sweet

Paul Westerberg (great talent and was great to meet in person!)

Adam Duritz

The Dead Milkmen

• Members

We met the guys from Machinehead last summer in London. They were staying in our hotel (Royal Lancaster). We caught the show at Wembley w/ Metallica earlier in the day. They gave us T-shirts, guitar picks and backstage passes to the Denver show (a couple of weeks ago).

I met Joni Mitchell in Denver, one of my heroes, and Jackson Browne in Los Angeles a few years ago.

During my last sabbatic leave, I worked in the post production department at Warner Brothers in Burbank and met dozens of famous non-musicians including Martin Sheen, Drew Carey, and Jennifer Aniston.

• Members

In 1995, I was hired By Brian Johnson to play in a band that he put together as a project away from AC/DC. He didnt sing, but he wrote all the lyrics and melody lines and co produced the songs. We would do all original live shows around florida, and as an encore, Brian would come out and We would do AC/DC covers. It was a preety huge thrill to actually be playing with one of my childhood heros. If he read this he would laugh because of the word hero.
He is about the nicest ,most downt to earth, most approachable "star" Ive ever met. His attitude is so cool. So what if Ive sold 100,000,000 records? Im just a regular guy like you or me. I had never seen him get even the slightest bit annoyed when people hounded him for a pic or an interview even in moments when he would have prefered his privacy.

Other than that, I have met and jammed with so many famous people that the name dropping gets a little embarassing. I have played in Bands, all over the country for many years and have met, opened for, or jammed with alot of "famous" people.
Around 1988-9? Marylin Manson opened up for My band. He wasnt called that at the time. There was no one in the bar at the early time they started playing exept about 5-6 really wierd goth type vampire wannabes sitting at a table in the corner. We all just thought he has a little wierd. Im sure he thought the same thing about us.

• Members

James, Kirk and Jason twice. Never met lars and not sad about it.
John Marshall (metal Church)
Gary Cherone
Gregg Bissionette
Rich Robinson
Steve Gorham
The guys in Tesla
Robin Zander
The fat dudes in the Screaming Trees
Some of the guys in Ok Go
Tom Keifer
Jeff LaBar

Literally walked right into Vivian Campbell in front of a hotel

Sat next to Eddie Money on his tour bus while he smoked weed and gave me life advice.

I used to work for AC/DC's management company, which got me in touch with Brian Johnson and Angus Young. Didn't meet them in person, but talked to them on the phone. Also met and hung out with Jaosn Bonham through that job. I would have jammed with him at an open-jam night at a Philly bar, but i was underage and the guy at the door didn't care who I was with. I still get pissed thining about that one.

Got into Alice In Chains dressing room. The guy I was with at the show got hurt by their security so we had to go talk to their manager about insurance. Was eating the catering food with Jerry Cantrell. I mockingly asked "...and you are" to the drummer. I still can't remember his name.

Should be meeting the guys in The Cult in a few weeks.

• 4 years later...

Archived