Name dropper thread - who famous/semi-famous have you met in person?

jetydosa

• Members

For musicians I met Rob Halford, Scott Travis, and the rest of the dudes from his band Fight. I also met George Lynch, Oni Logan, Brian Tichy, and the rest of the guys from Lynch Mob when we opened up for them. I also met flavor flav outside penn station once lol

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When i was about 14 - 18 i was obsessed with satch and vai went to see them anytime they were in the country and hung around the back of the venues for hours to meet them.

So.....

Satch x 3

Vai x 3

Mike Kineally

Mike Mangini

Michael Schenker

Phillip Bynoe

Nuno Bettencourt x2

MAB

Albert Lee x2

Stu Hamm X3

Nick Fyffe (Jamiroquai Bassist)

Martin Taylor

Eric Sardinas

Dave Edmunds

I also have a 'cool story bro' of how i met Steve Vai the 3rd and final time back in about 2000, if anyone cares?

• Members

The drummer in my first band back in 1968-69 did pretty well for himself. We were in the Navy stationed shore duty in Puerto Rico and a group of us sailors started a band that the Commander liked so much that he booked us in all of the military clubs on the island. It was great duty. "Money for Nothin and the Chicks For Free". Well, maybe not so much money. It was the best 2 years of my life. Larry Lee, our drummer went home to Missouri after he got out of the Navy and became a founding member of the "Ozark Mountain Daredevils" and also wrote a hit song (Jackie Blue) which was big on the charts back in the 70's. In the 80's he went on to tour with Jimmie Buffet as part of the "Choral Reefers" which led to a lifelong career as a prominent producer. And what about my career you might ask? Well, Moose Clubs, cowboy bars, and wedding receptions aren't all that bad. Are they?

My first band "The Trilogy" Fort Allen Naval Station Ponce Puerto Rico 1969.

FIRSTBANDWITHLARRYLEEOFTHEOZARKMOUNTAIND

Larry Lee "Jackie Blue"

• Members

Worked on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and in about 1973 Robert Redford and Paul Newman walked onto the floor while they were filming The Sting downstairs in Union Station. A pretty girl who worked with us was awe struck and was afraid to walk on up so I took her. We got to see them both face to face one at a time. Paul Newman also shot a scene or two at the Rock Island Station where I would catch my train in the afternoon and they would ask us to stand back for a moment while they shot a scene only a few yards ahead. It was fun and I'll never forget! :cool:

Also, and not as an afterthought, Kevin Cronin lived in the same hood and watched him play If I Needed Someone and Mister Tamborine Man on a twelve string when he was a Sophmore in HS. I was at my 8th grade graduation school party.

• Members

When i was about 14 - 18 i was obsessed with satch and vai went to see them anytime they were in the country and hung around the back of the venues for hours to meet them.

So.....

I also have a 'cool story bro' of how i met Steve Vai the 3rd and final time back in about 2000, if anyone cares?

I'll listen to the cool story bro :wave:

Since this thread was resurrected I have a couple of additions

Went to a private part where this lady played for about 30 of us

JenniferBatten.jpg

She hung out with Michael Jackson and Jeff Beck so I hear :D

And I met Marky Ramone and his band when they rehearsed at the place I used to get lessons. Super cool guy

• Members

Famous People I have worked professionally with, or met in a professional capacity, either played in bands, have jammed on stage with, have done shows with, and have met or know personally from playing shows together. If I list them, then I actually have known them and not just stood on a stage where they once stood.

Brian Johnson

Charlie Daniels

Brad Paisley

Henry Paul

The Outlaws

Blackhawk

Diamond Too

The Smitherines

Steven Pearcy

RATT

Ricky Rocket

Gary Hoey

Vince Neal

Tommy Lee

Mick Mars

KC and The Sunshine band

Warren DiMartini

Sebastian Bach(SKID Row)

Eddie Money

Ted

Ralph Santola(Deicide, Iced Earth, Obituary, etc)

Morbid Angel

Jehovah Sickness

Lee Brice

Jared Neeman

Randy Travis

Trace Atkins

Luke Bryan

Low Cash Cowboys

Joe Nichols

Tracy Lawrence

Travis Truth

Trisha Yearwood

John Oliva(TSO and Savatage)

Chris Oliva(Savatage)

John Lee Middleton(TSO and Savatage)

Ronnie James Dio

Steve Holley

Tom Keifer(Cinderella)

John Wesley(Merillian,, Joshua Tree)

The Warren Brothers, Bret and Brad(Song writers for Skynyrd, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith, they wrote red solo cup among others) etc.

Neurotica

Marylin Manson

Tommy Shaw

Damn Yankees

Jack Blades

Robin Zander

Rick Neilson

Tommy Cash

Lillian Axe

Rick Allen(Def Leppard)

Saigon Kick

The Stranger Band(Famous mostly in Florida and georgia)

Bonnie Pointer

Will Ray

Scott Rockenfield

REO Speedwagon

Gary Allen

David Allen Coe

Debbie Gibson

The Outfield

I have had professional working relationships with everyone mentioned above in some capacity or other, anywhere from just opening up for them or them for us, jamming with their bands, them jamming with my bands, or actually being in bands with them full time, to filling in for MIA musicians in their bands, etc. etc.

Any of these people pique your interest and I'll tell you how I know them and my relationship with them.

There are dozens more, I can't even remember all of them but I'll add to the list as I think of them.

I'm not even going to mention people I have merely met but have no other relationship with.

There would be hundreds of them.

• Members

Met all of AC/DC back in 80, even the "new guy" Brian Johnson before BIB came out. Talked to Paul McCartney on the phone, he likes Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Met Pres Bush #1 and Bill Clinton. Every Senator and Congressman you can imagine in the early 90s. My biggest thrill though was Colin Powell, 7-8 times. FUNNY guy!

• Members

Heather Locklear. Knew her in college before she was famous. Really nice, down to earth woman who was waaay better looking in person than on screen. She lived upstairs from some friends of mine, came over to our place a few times to party. One of my roommates got her falling down drunk one time playing quarters.

Met Mickey Rooney in the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland.

Related by marriage to Lisa Banes, who has been on Royal Pains, Son of the Beach and a bunch of other shows. See her at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings.

Knew all the gymnasts from the 1984 gold medal winning US team. It's funny that Tim Daggett turned out to be a TV commentator; he was so painfully shy back then that you could hardly get a word out of him. Also knew Shirley Babashoff (medal-winning swimmer), Evelyn Ashford (one time world's fastest woman), Jackie Joyner-Kersee, who were all super nice.

I've met a few other actors, but can't remember them too well. Weird that I don't think I've ever met a famous musician.

Met Ross Perot in the lobby of a hotel when he was running for President. Couldn't believe how short he was.

• Members

Firefall!

Burke Shelley

Phil Mogg, Michael Schenker, Pete Way, Paul Raymond & Andy Parker

Glen Hughes, Mel Galley & Dave Holland

Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, Stu Hamm at BX3

Leland Sklar

Phil Keaggy

Run

Jesse James Dupree

took lessons from Paul Lidel (Dangerous Toys)

edit: thread necro big-time! I posted in this with my old account in '07!

• Members

Heather Locklear. Knew her in college before she was famous. Really nice, down to earth woman who was waaay better looking in person than on screen. She lived upstairs from some friends of mine, came over to our place a few times to party. One of my roommates got her falling down drunk one time playing quarters.

Met Mickey Rooney in the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland.

Related by marriage to Lisa Banes, who has been on Royal Pains, Son of the Beach and a bunch of other shows. See her at Thanksgiving and other family gatherings.

Knew all the gymnasts from the 1984 gold medal winning US team. It's funny that Tim Daggett turned out to be a TV commentator; he was so painfully shy back then that you could hardly get a word out of him. Also knew Shirley Babashoff (medal-winning swimmer), Evelyn Ashford (one time world's fastest woman), Jackie Joyner-Kersee, who were all super nice.

I've met a few other actors, but can't remember them too well. Weird that I don't think I've ever met a famous musician.

Met Ross Perot in the lobby of a hotel when he was running for President. Couldn't believe how short he was.

Mmmm mmmm mmm! Heather!

• Members

some I can remember.

Chris Duarte

Paul Westerburg

Janey Street

Pat Benetar and her husband (Neil whatever)

Charlie Daniels

Tanya Tucker

Lita Ford

Rick Medlocke

Jeff Carlisi

Dave Pirner

Martin Zellar

Sheryl Crow

Pete Stroud

The keyboardist from Head East

Shawn Colvin

Liz Phair