Who is the most overated guitarist of the last 50 years ???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

So far.... let's recap some popular choices....

Slash- Do some of you feel that without Axl, Slash would have never been on the map? In your mind do they both suck?

Cobain- Did his attitude & personality have more to do with his success than his music?

Santana- Many say he brought it at Woodstock in 1969.... than many loved his SuperNatural album 30+ years later.... was he consistently awesome through that gap in time...or was he about as impressive as a limp pecker?

Clapton- Many state that "there are many players in many bar bands across the country that are better than this guy." ...do you agree with this? Are you one of these players that could blow Clapton away?

And some of you mentioned his tone sucks.... which era of tone suckage are you referring to? Cream era, 80's? please explain when the sucking began, and when Bobby Joe, or Billy Ray (every town has one) of your local bar band not only had better chops than EC, but also better tone.

Hendrix- Do you agree with the idea that he "ghettofied" guitar playing..... and that perhaps the death of Hendrix at a mere age 27 gave him perhaps a immortal status that makes people sometimes forget that had he put out albums for another 30 years.... surely some of them would have sucked.

Page- Awesome guitar god, or sloppy drunk/heroin addict that should be thanking his fortune that 3 better musicians propped him up, and made him a guitar hero in Zeppelin?

Eddie Van Halen.... Surely he has made his mark on modern rock music with his style and equipment..... but is it for the better or worse in your mind? Are their other players you have witnessed who you believe really blow this guy away?

Kirk Hammett- Amazing metal god.... or total wanker that plays at the intermediate level through what appears to be 10 wah wah pedals?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These "millions" of "better" "bar" players ... where the {censored} are they? If they're better than Clapton, we should have heard about them, right? These funking prodigies don't just play for themselves in their living rooms, right? They do play out, don't they?

Because here's the thing: I've seen bands in
hundreds
of Texas bars in my quest to have the toughest liver in the Southern US, and only
very
rarely have I come across anyone who could even
approach
Clapton. One of those guys (and he surpassed EC, even by EC's own admission) was Stevie Ray Vaughan, whom I've seen like 8 times, half of which included small clubs; another is Doyle Bramhall II; and there's Chris Duarte; and Ian Moore; and Ronnie {censored}ing Earl. And I saw Johnny Winter tear it right the hell up a couple of times. And that's pretty much it.

So tell me: these "millions" of "better" "bar" players: where are they?

Up your ass, that's where, because they don't {censored}ing exist.

And let's even not get started on tone .....

Not to get off topic...but since I started this bull{censored}, I am allowed.....

1) I agree with 99% of your post

2) Of those you listed..... while all fantastic.....SRV is the only one on the list that can/could approach Clapton if he is having an "on" night..... if Clapton is "in the mood" (note: Clapton may seem pretty approachable, but he actually a pretty complex and moody person) but if he is in the mood.... the likes of Doyle Bramhall II and Chris Duarte are not even going to be in the same building with Clapton.

Keep in mind, Clapton was the only person Hendrix feared as his "playing contemporary" ..... Duarte/Bramhall II/Ian Moore.... while all super talents, wouldn't have been a zit on the ass of Hendrix/Clapton in their primes.

• Members

Eric Clapton by a wide margin. He just slipped in at the right time in the right country. His tone sucks too - always has. There are million guitar players out there in bars everywhere that are better players.

220px-Bluesbreakers_John_Mayall_with_Eri

This thread in a nutshell.

• Members

f those you listed..... while all fantastic.....SRV is the only one on the list that can/could approach Clapton if he is having an "on" night..... if Clapton is "in the mood" (note: Clapton may seem pretty approachable, but he actually a pretty complex and moody person) but if he is in the mood.... the likes of Doyle Bramhall II and Chris Duarte are not even going to be in the same building with Clapton.

The strange thing is, I'm not very much of a Claptonophile; lots of the stuff he came out with in the 70s I hated. "Lay Down Sally" and "Blues Power" my ass .... But I've seen way more than enough to show me that Eric Clapton is -- behind BB King, Buddy Guy and Gatemouth Brown -- the living embodiment of The Blues. These millions of guys better than Clapton, as a blues guitar player and fan, I want to see these guys.

The problem is, they're nowhere near as common as Mouthflap McTalk{censored} would have you believe .... why? Because they don't {censored}ing exist, that's why.

EC doing the living DOG mess out of a Stevie song. And if you can't get behind this, you are a blithering idiot.

(The video embed apparently didn't work the first time; operator error I would expect)

• Members

No. Just no. Almost inarguably the most influential guitarist in rock & blues behind Hendrix, and would be third most influential in the worst case scenario (behind either Page or Keef but not both).

Yes, but he still blows.

When he is not busy sucking, of course.

• Members

So far.... let's recap some popular choices....

Slash- Do some of you feel that without Axl, Slash would have never been on the map? In your mind do they both suck?

Cobain- Did his attitude & personality have more to do with his success than his music?

Santana- Many say he brought it at Woodstock in 1969.... than many loved his SuperNatural album 30+ years later.... was he consistently awesome through that gap in time...or was he about as impressive as a limp pecker?

Clapton- Many state that "there are many players in many bar bands across the country that are better than this guy." ...do you agree with this? Are you one of these players that could blow Clapton away?

And some of you mentioned his tone sucks.... which era of tone suckage are you referring to? Cream era, 80's? please explain when the sucking began, and when Bobby Joe, or Billy Ray (every town has one) of your local bar band not only had better chops than EC, but also better tone.

Hendrix- Do you agree with the idea that he "ghettofied" guitar playing..... and that perhaps the death of Hendrix at a mere age 27 gave him perhaps a immortal status that makes people sometimes forget that had he put out albums for another 30 years.... surely some of them would have sucked.

Page- Awesome guitar god, or sloppy drunk/heroin addict that should be thanking his fortune that 3 better musicians propped him up, and made him a guitar hero in Zeppelin?

Eddie Van Halen.... Surely he has made his mark on modern rock music with his style and equipment..... but is it for the better or worse in your mind? Are their other players you have witnessed who you believe really blow this guy away?

Kirk Hammett- Amazing metal god.... or total wanker that plays at the intermediate level through what appears to be 10 wah wah pedals?

1. Without GNR you would never know who Slash is. That doesn't mean I don't like him as a guitar player but he is rather repetitive.

2. Cobain was good songwriter but a {censored} guitar player and he admitted that many times.

3. Santana I never got into. Same Dorian, blues and harmonic minor licks.

4. Clapton- There are plenty of guitar players that were better than he was.

5. Hendrix died at an early age and that help cement his status but he was an original.

6. Page was a sloppy player but he fit Led Zepplin

7. Eddie Van Halen was the first player since Hendrix that really stood out and sound like nobody else. But once the 80's came out every guitar player started copying him and he became overexposed. He actions in later years didn't help the way people feel about him now.

8. Kirk Hammett is better than what people give him credit for but his tone is something to be desired.

• Members

7. Eddie Van Halen was the first player since Hendrix that really stood out and sound like nobody else. But once the 80's came out every guitar player started copying him and he became overexposed. He actions in later years didn't help the way people feel about him now.

who did Leslie West sound like? or Johnny Winter? Mick Taylor? Richie Blackmore? Ronnie Montrose? Rory Gallagher?

• Members

The strange thing is, I'm not very much of a Claptonophile; lots of the stuff he came out with in the 70s I hated. "Lay Down Sally" and "Blues Power" my ass .... But I've seen way more than enough to show me that Eric Clapton is, behind Buddy Guy and Gatemouth Brown, the living embodiment of The Blues. These millions of guys better than Clapton, as a blues guitar player and fan, I
want
to see these guys.

The problem is, they're nowhere near as common as Mouthflap McTalk{censored} would have you believe .... why? Because they don't {censored}ing exist, that's why.

EC doing the living DOG mess out of a Stevie song. And if you can't get behind this, you are an idiot

Saying eric clapton is the best, makes a tiny but more sense when you say he is the best at the blues.

Even if this was true, which it isn't even close, who cares?

Saying someone is the best at the blues is like saying someone is the best water drinker, or the best tire changer, or the best laundry folder, or the best scab peeler, or the best air breather, or the best nose picker.

Were are talking about the best at the blues, man.

Nobody cares.

• Members

how can someone who nobody thinks is an actual good guitarist, be overated?

Nobody? Uh, I do. Not good? That's stupid.

But of course he is not overrated. Obviously. Nobody that can play guitar well(:poke:) would "rate" him as a great guitarist. Nor do they care. Only haters jump on this opportunity to trash him, players who couldn't play and sing at the same time(well) if their life depended on it. That takes a lot of talent, and makes wankers jealous.

• Members

Hendrix. Would hardly be talked about if were still alive and playing dad rock.

So, if Jimi was still alive........in your theory..........(laughing)....he would hardly be talked about? (still laughing)

Are you happy with that assessment?

• Members

So, if Jimi was still alive........in your theory..........(laughing)....he would hardly be talked about? (still laughing)

Are you happy with that assessment?

Yep. Nothing has ever trumped a premature death when it comes to instilling fanboi idolatory.

Archived