Who is the most overated guitarist of the last 50 years ???

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some people may want to be impressed by the player while others may want to be moved by the music. Maybe it's a combination of both and/or other factors.

The "rating system" for guitarists is flawed - not everyone values the same thing in a player.

The way I look at it is that a certain level of technical ability is needed to properly serve the music. As a player, I feel it is my responsibility to be able to execute and articulate the music so I need to keep my chops up but I don't think it is my place to go onstage just to "show off" my skills.

• Members
Short boring story---- in my former life, I owned a Music Shop, and was a dealer of Fender, Mesa, Peavey, Boss, just to name a few.... I had 6 total guitar teachers who taught at various times out of 3 separate rooms I had built on to the back. At one time, I myself had 44 student....and all 6 employees each had many more students than I did....needless to say, the lesson business was going very well, and it was IN FACT what made the business profitable (Not selling a Fender SRV signature for $1299 that I had $1120.00 in) ....anyway, of my 6 guys..... one teacher was always running his mouth about how much Eric Johnson, Satch, EVH, BB King, and everyone else sucked....... 4 of the others would say a negative "hate" comment about another guitarist or genre of music once in awhile, but very rarely. The other teacher there wouldn't say {censored} if he had a 12 inch turd sticking out his mouth..... he loved it all....Eminem to ZZ Top..... Dixie Chics to Slayer.... no matter what was playing over the loud speaker, he would be bobbing his head saying "this {censored} rocks!"

It doesn't take Darwin to see where this story is going..... he was by a country mile the most gifted guitar teacher employed there. Then I started noticing that the customers who were always talking {censored} about others were usually the ones that plug in, turn up to 7, and sound about as tough as unicorn farts.

The great players that came in, never said a word, hardly ever plugged in.

This is the basis of my theory = those with the least talent usually run thy mouth the most.

One hundred times out of 100, give me the instructor who seems to love everything, because he'll be the guy who tries anything, and he'll also be the guy rooting for you and believing in you when you're down on your playing.

Great story, and I'm not just saying that because your new avatar rocks sooo hard. :D

• Members

How many pages? I read 6 0r 7 and didn't see Ace Frehley mentioned.

I almost went with Ace but he's someone I never took seriously. Hey, lots of cats were inspired to play because of Ace. As pedestrian as Ace seemed to be, his tone and playing, at least in the early 'classics' ( I use that term for the faithful) had a basic Cream/Clapton vibe. As such, I couldn't hate him. Seriously, Ace was a classic example of being in the right place at the right time.

• Members

I almost went with Ace but he's someone I never took seriously. Hey, lots of cats were inspired to play because of Ace. As pedestrian as Ace seemed to be, his tone and playing, at least in the early 'classics' ( I use that term for the faithful) had a basic Cream/Clapton vibe. As such, I couldn't hate him. Seriously, Ace was a classic example of being in the right place at the right time.

Ace was a big part of me wanting to play too. It's just when I progressed to the point in my playing where figuring out Ace licks was easy I started thinking "hey, this guy isn't so good" Also the NWBHM and VH were around shortly after the "Good" KISS albums and more adept playing was bombarding my ears.

• Members

While admittedly I don't vist them as often as I should, I own 3 Les Paul CDs. Mindblowing stuff.

I have one with Mary Ford I burned from my Moms collection

but TBH Im not a jazz guitar fan, except for some reason I love wes. I prefer the saxamaphone for jazz. I dont like jazz piano either, and I despise most surf saxamaphone (except for the lively ones) and all rock saxamaphone-go figure.

• Members
I'd throw Jerry Garcia up there. I love the idea of Jerry and the Dead but his solos just doesn't "impress" me that much (relative to other highly-rated guitarists).

some of my favorite solos ever come from Jerry. When he's on its pretty much magic.

• Members

Tbh, the entire blues and blues/rock idioms are overrated. Fanboys fetishize the "soul/tone/emotion" essence of that music as if it's great because it's infused with some intangible magical essence. It feeds a cottage industry of obsolete technology and largely unappealing repertoire reproductions.

Classical music is also overrated because it's constructed to be the pinnacle of artistry, technique, and culture. That's what the shred guys are in competition with and explains why their music often falls short of being interesting. It's a genre based inferiority complex. The emergence of neo-classical metal was about making rock/metal legitimate.

• Members

some of my favorite solos ever come from Jerry. When he's on its pretty much magic.

I only saw the Grateful Dead twice. The first time (? 88 or 89?) in Phoenix Arizona, I think Jerry may have been suffering from the heat. It was mostly bad with a few decent moments.

I saw them years later in Denver. It was the early 90's and Santana opened for them. I dragged along a friend who was into Metal and Hard Rock. Both of us were blown away that night! Jerry was on it in a very big way. Definitely, a magic night.

Years ago, I saw the Dead with Warren Haynes in Denver. Haynes was amazing and his voice was so smooth and soulful. Haynes was coping the best of Jerry all night and mixing it with his own bag of tricks. I was blown away by that performance!

• Members

I only saw the Grateful Dead twice. The first time (? 88 or 89?) in Phoenix Arizona, I think Jerry may have been suffering from the heat. It was mostly bad with a few decent moments.

I saw them years later in Denver. It was the early 90's and Santana opened for them. I dragged along a friend who was into Metal and Hard Rock. Both of us were blown away that night! Jerry was on it in a very big way. Definitely, a magic night.

Years ago, I saw the Dead with Warren Haynes in Denver. Haynes was amazing and his voice was so smooth and soulful. Haynes was coping the best of Jerry all night and mixing it with his own bag of tricks. I was blown away by that performance!

Garcia was in declining health by the time of either of those shows, although there were certainly some good ones from '89-'91.

For anyone interested, Amazon MP3 is having a huge sale on Dead MP3 downloads, most of the albums are $2.99. and there are dozens of love shows. One of my favorites is the Europe '72 Volume 2 compilation, which is $4.99 and includes the Dark Star and Other One from the Bickershaw festival. a show I had on a poor quality tape years ago.

• Members

How many pages? I read 6 0r 7 and didn't see Ace Frehley mentioned.

Ace Frehley was one of my earliest heroes (ca. mid 70s).

I think he isn't mentioned much because he's only overrated by kids. When the kids grow up, they realize their mistake. I sure did. :D

• Members

But everyone has been reluctant to name the REAL overrated RockeR!

It's MALCOLM YOUNG!

Oh ya. How many times have you heard the "theory" of how AC/DC is all Malcolm! You've heard it, admit it, very popular with non players and wannabe's who want to sound like they know music.

Puhleeease.

• Members

But everyone has been reluctant to name the REAL overrated RockeR!

It's MALCOLM YOUNG!

Oh ya. How many times have you heard the "theory" of how AC/DC is all Malcolm! You've heard it, admit it, very popular with non players and wannabe's who want to sound like they know music.

Puhleeease.

Tone is in the missing neck pickup.

• Members

Well I thought at least one of my all time favorites would stay of this High School level idiotic thread but on page 9 Jeff Beck was named lmfao. Sorry to tell you but he is probably the most looked up to player on the planet -By His Peers- which is what really matters. This thread should of stated who do you think is overated and who is your favorite and then we could tell what is going on in some minds.

In no particular order my a list of my 20 favorite players of all time would go something like this-

Hendrix

Beck

Clapton

EVH

SRV

Danny Gatton

Page

Les Paul

Vai

Yngwie

Santana

Those 11 have already been mentioned so I will add the other 9 overated players so I do not have to look at this thread again and before they are mentioned by the time it hits page 20.

Setzer

Blackmore

Brian May

Gary Moore

Harrison

Satch

Keef

Albert Lee

By the way Clapton was 19 in the Yardbirds and 20 when he started playing with the Blues Breakers and 23 when he was finished with Cream. If the guy never picked up a guitar again he laid down a body of work for a lifetime up until that point. Sure he was influenced by the great Blues players just like everyone else, but his licks in Hideaway are way different then what Freddy King played. The guy is going on his 6th decade as a pro and does not play small clubs but arenas and stadiums- just like all of you who say how much he sucks lol.

Archived