Who is the most overated guitarist of the last 50 years ???

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So far.... let's recap some popular choices....

Hendrix- Do you agree with the idea that he "ghettofied" guitar playing..... and that perhaps the death of Hendrix at a mere age 27 gave him perhaps a immortal status that makes people sometimes forget that had he put out albums for another 30 years.... surely some of them would have sucked.

Page- Awesome guitar god, or sloppy drunk/heroin addict that should be thanking his fortune that 3 better musicians propped him up, and made him a guitar hero in Zeppelin?

I want to clarify myself here in response to the term "ghettofied" as I believe you are attaching a racial stigma to the term. That is not what I meant. What I mean was that players of all stripes got fixated on the Jimmy Page/Jimi Hendrix way of playing guitar so much that trying to find any electric guitar player with any imagination or originality was almost impossible for awhile. They were stuck in this "ghetto" of blues based wankery that had lost all meaning and soul and were pale imitations of Jimi and Jimmy which were already drawing from influences of previous generations...but had put their own stamp of originality on the damn thing! Jimi had his psychedelic love of far out sounds and Page had his Celtic and English folk roots that they both combined with blues based rock. Minimalist and processed approaches (a la Cobain, Summers, and the Edge) were really in contrast to that approach and came from somewhere other than that "ghetto of the mind" that most guitar players were (and still are for {censored}s sake) stuck in. Part of the reason I just can't get into most "classic rock" is because it is so much pentatonic blues wankery. No imagination at all...the only thing that SAVES it is some decent songs done in that idiom.

YMMV

• Members

Dave, Dave. Don't stoop to the summer scene. These are children you're agreeing with, not seasoned musicians.

Being a hater is like playing in the sandbox. And you're way too old for that to be acceptable.

I'm disappoint.

• Members

Dave, Dave. Don't stoop to the summer scene. These are children you're agreeing with, not seasoned musicians.

Being a hater is like playing in the sandbox. And you're way too old for that to be acceptable.

I'm disappoint.

• Members

OVER
ated? I've never even heard him rated. At all!

Never heard of Michael Nesmith??

He INVENTED guitar playing.

In fact, " guitar " means "boat paddle" in spanish and no one even thought of using them for music until Michael Nesmith showed us the way!

• Members

Never heard of Michael Nesmith??

No, that's not what I said.

I know Michael Nesmith very well. I'm actually a fan of some of his work.

What I said was, he isn't rated as a guitarist.

He's known as a singer, songwriter, novelist and producer ... not as a guitarist.

I've never heard anybody say, "Wow, Mike Nesmith is a great guitarist".

Thus, I would not consider him an "overated guitarist", as he is not rated at all (as a guitarist).

Archived