Who is the most overated guitarist of the last 50 years ???

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But everyone has been reluctant to name the REAL overrated RockeR!

It's MALCOLM YOUNG!

Oh ya. How many times have you heard the "theory" of how AC/DC is all Malcolm! You've heard it, admit it, very popular with non players and wannabe's who want to sound like they know music.

Puhleeease.

Now I'm not an AC/DC fan, but when Angus insists that Malcolm makes the band, it's hard to argue against it, even if he's just being nice to his brother.

• Members

Not a Clapton fan boy, but Layla unplugged is too lovely for words. On topic: The Edge, Kirk Hammet,

I thought layla unplugged was even lamer than layla electric, which was pretty weak to start with.

It was almost as if he said how can I make this lame song any worse?

Hey! I know!

Listen to,THIS!

snore.................. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Members

Not a Clapton fan boy, but Layla unplugged is too lovely for words. On topic: The Edge, Kirk Hammet,

I thought layla unplugged was even lamer than layla electric, which was pretty weak to start with.

Hey! I know!

Listen to,THIS!

• Members

I don't really get what the big deal is about Peter Frampton. Just sounds like someone screwing around with effects.

Unfortunately everyone associated Frampton with the voicebox effect since he helped make it famous and it helped him famous.

That effect has little to do with what made bin great.

His melodia, phrasing and note choices, and just overall musicabilitu was just gonococcal enough to make familiar musical sense, but is always on the edge of taking left and right turns that border on the unexpected and keep things really fresh.

It wasn't his effects, his technical prowess, or anything like that. It was just his choice of notes that was always just one step ahead of being typical like the masses and he was just a breath of fresh air compared to everything else out at the time.

Plus, his double live album which is what really blew up his career was just a really well recorded album,with a handful of massive iconic songs on it.

The effect for which he is famous was hardly needed. The songs, the solos, the playing would be just as good without it, it just helped to deliver it to the masses since it was just one more later of something cool and fresh that was added to help seperate himself from the masses.

It's too bad some people

Only associate him with that effect because he was playing great stuff underneath it.

Personally, I like his use of it, it was tastefully done and added to the vibe of the music, but he didn't really need it because the stuff would have still been good without it.

• Members

Here's the thing, most people (besides the cat) are not saying Clapton is not / was not a great guitarist - just the most overrated. Ask someone who does not know much about music or guitar who the best guitar player ever is and many will say Clapton by default. He was important in his era, but not the best in his era. So, I think many people who are exposed to more musicians resent the "Clapton is God" position.

You can be great AND overrated at the same time......

• Members

Clapton is an easy target - you listen to him now and go 'so what' but he really cut it with The Yardbirds/Bluesbreakers/Cream. His phrasing is perfect - makes it sound so easy.

Peter Frampton is mince.

Can think of a lot more underrated guitarists. Lets be having that instead.

• Members

If this thread goes on long enough, every guitar player will be included.

Maybe guitar playing is overrated.

Wise words! We're nearly there!

I'll add, frets99, Joey Santiago.

Whom I am a fan. But they are overrated.

Sorry.

• Members

Unfortunately everyone associated Frampton with the voicebox effect since he helped make it famous and it helped him famous.

That effect has little to do with what made bin great.

His melodia, phrasing and note choices, and just overall musicabilitu was just gonococcal enough to make familiar musical sense, but is always on the edge of taking left and right turns that border on the unexpected and keep things really fresh.

It wasn't his effects, his technical prowess, or anything like that. It was just his choice of notes that was always just one step ahead of being typical like the masses and he was just a breath of fresh air compared to everything else out at the time.

Plus, his double live album which is what really blew up his career was just a really well recorded album,with a handful of massive iconic songs on it.

The effect for which he is famous was hardly needed. The songs, the solos, the playing would be just as good without it, it just helped to deliver it to the masses since it was just one more later of something cool and fresh that was added to help seperate himself from the masses.

It's too bad some people

Only associate him with that effect because he was playing great stuff underneath it.

Personally, I like his use of it, it was tastefully done and added to the vibe of the music, but he didn't really need it because the stuff would have still been good without it.

he is good.

[video=youtube;6MGXNb27QeA]

• Members

In my opinion ZAKK WYLDE is completely overated. Ive never seen the guy play anything outside a damn pentatonic scale! Ok, yes some of the songs with Ozzy were definitly killer but I just dont see the hype behind him. My most underrated has got to be TONY MACALPINE. That guy is absolutely a genius on so many levels!

• Members

Hey! I know!

Listen to,THIS!

LOL, I knew this was coming ;)

• Members

Buddy Guy:

Could never understand why people talk so much about his guitar playing.

Shrill tone, bad choice of notes, horrible bending...

To each his own, but I have a hard time finding anything pleasant about his guitar playing, even though he seems to be a great guy and I like his singing.

Jimmie Vaughan:

Can play one and only one lick and it gets old very fast. Boring as {censored}.

• Members

If this thread goes on long enough, every guitar player will be included.

Maybe guitar playing is overrated.

I think you may be right. Guitarists do tend to overrate the influence of other guitarists. On the grand scale of things, very few guitarists could be considered great or influential musicians.

Archived