Has Billy Gibbons ever played a stack?

RockNote

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

great pic! what year was that? Looks circa Harry Potter era zee zee top. thats gotta be 1971-same cuban heeled boots as my pic, same drumset, same strap Billy has, maybe even the same flower/paisely shirt on Dusty, they even all have the same length hair

I saw them at this show at Lake Spivey...he had a double stack just like Dusty's...

zzTop.jpg

• Members

I can only offer this. While being led backstage for a meet and greet with the band during the Afterburner tour I only saw one amp, it was a Peavey Special 130, or a Bandit 65, with a Sennheiser 421 in front of it, under the stage.

I've heard tell Billy (at least for a time) favored Peavey SS amps. Nothing would surprise me with that guy.

Interestingly I knew a guy who worked for some Kansas City clubs back in the 70s and 80s and he swears he once ran sound for a Joe Walsh solo concert where he had some impressive cabs onstage but was actually playing through one of those mini Pignose amps that was mic'ed and run through the house PA. :idk:

• Members

Interestingly I knew a guy who worked for some Kansas City clubs back in the 70s and 80s and he swears he once ran sound for a Joe Walsh solo concert where he had some impressive cabs onstage but was actually playing through one of those mini Pignose amps that was mic'ed and run through the house PA.
:idk:

Frank Zappa used to mic a hidden Pignose as well.

• Members

Modern touring PA's have so much power and clarity that ANY stage bleed into the audience makes it sound bad. The same sound arriving at your ears at different times (reflections and amps/pa) cause time smear and bad sound in layman's terms.

Best to have amps mic's in iso boxes, off stage, etc. I can EQ the mic'd or direct tone to be as fat as I want in a good PA.

You needed stacks back in the day when all the PA could handles was vocals and some drums. Then in the early 70's things got better such as the Dead's Wall of Sound.

• Members

It's like why lie or be misleading though as far as telling people your using something different from what is really being used.....i mean i just dont get it if thats the case? I understand the props for stage presence and the empty cabs..but i dunno...and im not implying that is what the Reverend is doing...

• Members

supposedly those Rio Grande amps were modded marshalls with the only mod being a nameplate swap.

Yes, back in the 70s up through the early 80s he played his "Rio Grande" heads and cabinets. The heads were just Marshall 100 watt heads with front panels labeled in Spanish. The cabinets did appear to be custom made. Some were 2 x 15" and some were 4 x 12". I saw them a few times back in those days, and I got a pretty good look at the amps.

Archived