Best non-modeling solid state amp of all time?

honeyiscool

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks View Post
While the OP stated "best".
Iconic =/= best, either. JC cleans are great, but if you don't need it (and many people don't)...

And notice how everyone says about an uncolored, sparkly clean channel that it "almost sounds like a JC"? I've heard that said about everything from Ampeg and Peavey to just plugging straight into a powered speaker (which the JC pretty much is, IMO, with some high boost, maybe). Maybe that means it's an easy sound to get after all. I mean it sounds exactly like the pickup. The only reason why everyone compares it to the JC is because it was the first SS amp that got popular. I don't buy that you could pick out the JC sound in a recording, that somehow it's got that JC character and other amps don't. I think I can get a JC sound plugging into my QSC K10.

Yes, it's the most celebrated solid state amp. I get it. Now onto the other stuff. What do wisdom and experience have anything to do with taste and musical ability? If anything, it seems like wisdom and experience are just as likely to have a negative influence as a positive influence. Don't act like 60 year olds are making amazing new music at a greater rate than 30 year olds.

It's like trying to argue with people who think the KMS 104 couldn't possibly compare to an SM 58 because their grandfathers used 58s. Is the JC120 good at what it does? Yes. Does it have a use? Yes. I had one. I should know. I also got rid of mine. So yeah, I like it, it's good at what it does, I think other amps are better from my perspective. The best amp ever shouldn't have a "but the distortion sucks" attached to it every time it is spoken of, and for that caveat to be a universally agreed upon fact. At least when people say that about the Pathfinder or the Bandit, you can actually find examples of people who use the dirt on those amps to get good (at least acceptable) overdriven tone.

Quote Originally Posted by customtele View Post
Bandit 65 anyone?
Love mine! I think I've raved about it enough. Amazing surf rock sounds. I don't play surf rock or anything, but I've found that an amp that can pull off surf is an amp I will love, since that's where I get a lot of my tones. I really want a TransTube Bandit but I really can't keep buying more Peaveys. I love my new TransTube Envoy, it sounds just great.

The thing everybody says about Peaveys is how good their reverbs are. They really are that great IMO. Why can't Vox ever have that good a reverb circuit?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Iconic =/= best, either. JC cleans are great, but if you don't need it (and many people don't)...

And notice how everyone says about an uncolored, sparkly clean channel that it "almost sounds like a JC"? I've heard that said about everything from Ampeg and Peavey to just plugging straight into a powered speaker (which the JC pretty much is, IMO, with some high boost, maybe). Maybe that means it's an easy sound to get after all. I mean it sounds exactly like the pickup. The only reason why everyone compares it to the JC is because it was the first SS amp that got popular. I don't buy that you could pick out the JC sound in a recording, that somehow it's got that JC character and other amps don't. I think I can get a JC sound plugging into my QSC K10.

Yes, it's the most celebrated solid state amp. I get it. Now onto the other stuff. What do wisdom and experience have anything to do with taste and musical ability? If anything, it seems like wisdom and experience are just as likely to have a negative influence as a positive influence. Don't act like 60 year olds are making amazing new music at a greater rate than 30 year olds.

It's like trying to argue with people who think the KMS 104 couldn't possibly compare to an SM 58 because their grandfathers used 58s. Is the JC120 good at what it does? Yes. Does it have a use? Yes. I had one. I should know. I also got rid of mine. So yeah, I like it, it's good at what it does, I think other amps are better from my perspective. The best amp ever shouldn't have a "but the distortion sucks" attached to it every time it is spoken of, and for that caveat to be a universally agreed upon fact. At least when people say that about the Pathfinder or the Bandit, you can actually find examples of people who use the dirt on those amps to get good (at least acceptable) overdriven tone.

Love mine! I think I've raved about it enough. Amazing surf rock sounds. I don't play surf rock or anything, but I've found that an amp that can pull off surf is an amp I will love, since that's where I get a lot of my tones. I really want a TransTube Bandit but I really can't keep buying more Peaveys. I love my new TransTube Envoy, it sounds just great.

The thing everybody says about Peaveys is how good their reverbs are. They really are that great IMO. Why can't Vox ever have that good a reverb circuit?
Im curious as to why you would ask a pretty broad and subjective question, and then argue against the most widely accepted answer?

The JC is pretty much the definitive, most popular and widely used SS guitar amp. It takes pedals like nobodies business, and it can get those super clean tones that pretty much nothing else can match, while those other amps you mentioned probably do a good impression of a tube amp at best...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Spike Li View Post
Im curious as to why you would ask a pretty broad and subjective question, and then argue against the most widely accepted answer?
Because he already knows it all.. No point arguing with him. Someday it'll hit him, like a bolt of lightning, that jussssssssst maybe, other people might have a clue what they're talking about and that he DOESN'T know everything just because he read it on the internet. I doubt it, but it could happen..

• Members

The JC is pretty much the definitive, most popular and widely used SS guitar amp. It takes pedals like nobodies business, and it can get those super clean tones that pretty much nothing else can match, while those other amps you mentioned probably do a good impression of a tube amp at best...
I had a JC 120 for several years. I sold it after I got the much more versatal Lab L5. No contest IMO.

The only problem with the Lab is that they didn't build them long enough to become a classic.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by profgalen View Post
IMG_0916.jpg
I bought one of these in a pawn shop a while back. Plugged it in to a Laney 2X12 yesterday and fell in love with it again all over.
Nice. I had forgotten that they made a separate head version of that amp.

• Members

1. Is it the most accepted answer? I've read threads where JC-120 gets named among people's least favorite amps as well as most favorite amps. It's not a universally loved amp and many people have divided opinions about it.

And really, I'm not necessarily arguing against the JC-120. For the umpteenth time, I like the amp. And how many times do I have to say "I think" before people just accept that "I think," that it's far from "I know"? I think the Roland BC-60 is better than JC-120. I think the Pathfinder 15R is more fun than it. I think the Peavey Bandit 65 has more character than it. I'm not saying that you should agree with me, it's not an argument. It's rather that I currently have or have had these amps and the JC-120, so that's my honest opinion. Have you compared them head to head?

2. I've read here and there that the Peavey Bandit at some point was the best selling amp in the world. If that's true, well, I don't know. Regardless, looking at second hand shops, I would think that Peavey has the crown for most popular solid state amps in the world. As for taking pedals, a high end powered speaker takes pedals better than a JC, IMO. I really don't know what people had in the 80s that people thought they made good keyboard amps because a JC doesn't work for me in that role at all. Maybe if the cabs were closed and chambered...

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD View Post
Because he already knows it all.. No point arguing with him. Someday it'll hit him, like a bolt of lightning, that jussssssssst maybe, other people might have a clue what they're talking about and that he DOESN'T know everything just because he read it on the internet. I doubt it, but it could happen..
Someday it might hit you that if I say "I" enough, and make it clear that it's "my" opinion, that I am not arguing that other people should have my opinion. This is all subjective anyway.

There's no point arguing with me because every time I express my opinion, you're assuming that I'm trying to convince you that I'm right, when I'm not, I am expressing my opinion. And at some point, it becomes about me, instead of what I'm saying.

(And if I believed everything I read on the Internet, I would think the JC-120 was the best solid state amp in the world.)

See this? This is what I used to play with. What does that amp on the right look like to you? Only RaVen would accuse someone who's comparing amps he's had of reading about it on the Internet.

setup.jpg

(Or it's someone else with a Hello Kitty guitar w/ a Seymour Duncan pickup and stacked knobs and a mini-toggle and a Roland JC-120 in the same picture that I found on the Internet. You never know what RaVen would say.)

• Members

Ah...my first amp! I gigged it until it died numerous deaths, and eventually left it in my bassist's garage. Never had somebody call me numerous times to remove an amp before. icon_lol.gif

Nah, decent but not great. I vote Traynor or Roland for great SS stuff. Oh, and Randall...really good sound for a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2 View Post
For me? No question:

DSC_7220a1.jpg

I've never owned a Jazz Chorus of any kind but I used them for two years in high school jazz band. We had two JC120s and three or four of the 2x12 version of this generation Yamaha and even back then, to my ears, the Yamaha sounded MUCH better. It sounds more 'amp like'. The Jazz Chorus pretty much sounds like plugging into a board to me. Very dry though I can't say it really does anything 'wrong.' The Yamaha is like plugging into a clean amp. It gets a little dirty as you really crank it. A lot of folks would say that a bigger Fender Blackface is the definitive clean sound. It sounds great, but to my ears, it sounds pretty distinctly scooped. Not saying that's good or bad, but it definitely sounds scooped to me and having said that, I'd imagine 9 out of 10 folks that have played through a nice Blackface or Silverface Twin for 20 years and plug them into a JC120, they'll be pretty disappointed. The primary exceptions, I would think, are folks that tend to dial in a darker jazz tone that avoids that top 'edge' of a Twin.

The gain side of the Yamaha is definitely a Dumble/early Mesa-inspired thing. Low, singing gain with more sustain than 'gain' really. Paula Rivera was involved in the design of the original G100 series.

No shortage of big name players that have used this generation of Yamaha at one point or another. Robben Ford used one for a while when he didn't want to take his Dumble. Mike Stern used one as his primary amp with EVM 12Ls. Allan Holdsworth and Pat Metheny have also been known to use them at some point.

• Members

I've owned a JC-120, gigged it for many years so it gets my vote. People speak of it being sterile and/or too cold but to me its more clinical response was its greatest strength. Its extremely dynamic as the tone is uncompressed and uncolored. You can dial em in big and warm for jazzy stuff, thin and bright to get the sheen, or even kick up the mids to get that clean "Metallica One" clean tone. IMO, the JC is the best solid state amp because it reveals in its solid state-ness and doesn't try to imitate a tube amp in any way shape or form. I sold mine and have regretted it, though its way too big and heavy for my needs these days.

I also owned a BC30, a good amp for sure but I'd take a Transtube Peavey Bandit or Tech 21 Trademark 60 over those personally. Honorable mention also goes out to the Vox Pathfinder 15r and Yamaha G series.

• Members

Peavey lap steel amps are darn nice. LOUD.
I played some 80s Marshall MOSFET amp recently that was pretty sweet.
My brother has an old Earth amp from the 70s that sounds good.
One that truly surprised me was an old USA Crate bass amp. 35 watts and sounded terrific with a guitar.
I don't know if any are "the best," but they all sounded darn good.

Have never played a JC.

EG

• Members
1. Is it the most accepted answer? I've read threads where JC-120 gets named among people's least favorite amps as well as most favorite amps. It's not a universally loved amp and many people have divided opinions about it.

And really, I'm not necessarily arguing against the JC-120. For the umpteenth time, I like the amp. And how many times do I have to say "I think" before people just accept that "I think," that it's far from "I know"? I think the Roland BC-60 is better than JC-120. I think the Pathfinder 15R is more fun than it. I think the Peavey Bandit 65 has more character than it. I'm not saying that you should agree with me, it's not an argument. It's rather that I currently have or have had these amps and the JC-120, so that's my honest opinion. Have you compared them head to head?

2. I've read here and there that the Peavey Bandit at some point was the best selling amp in the world. If that's true, well, I don't know. Regardless, looking at second hand shops, I would think that Peavey has the crown for most popular solid state amps in the world. As for taking pedals, a high end powered speaker takes pedals better than a JC, IMO. I really don't know what people had in the 80s that people thought they made good keyboard amps because a JC doesn't work for me in that role at all. Maybe if the cabs were closed and chambered...

Someday it might hit you that if I say "I" enough, and make it clear that it's "my" opinion, that I am not arguing that other people should have my opinion. This is all subjective anyway.

There's no point arguing with me because every time I express my opinion, you're assuming that I'm trying to convince you that I'm right, when I'm not, I am expressing my opinion. And at some point, it becomes about me, instead of what I'm saying.

(And if I believed everything I read on the Internet, I would think the JC-120 was the best solid state amp in the world.)

See this? This is what I used to play with. What does that amp on the right look like to you? Only RaVen would accuse someone who's comparing amps he's had of reading about it on the Internet.

setup.jpg

(Or it's someone else with a Hello Kitty guitar w/ a Seymour Duncan pickup and stacked knobs and a mini-toggle and a Roland JC-120 in the same picture that I found on the Internet. You never know what RaVen would say.)
This {censored}ing kid is brilliant. Leave him alone.
The truth is that some people are wise beyond their chronological years, and others can live to be centenarians and never gain an ounce of insight. That some of you assume that you're wiser just because you're older just proves that you've gained no wisdom at all.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsMok... View Post
Ah...my first amp! I gigged it until it died numerous deaths, and eventually left it in my bassist's garage. Never had somebody call me numerous times to remove an amp before. icon_lol.gif
He probably didn't wanna carry it upstairs. Mine weighs 54 lbs with the stock speaker. A current reissue Twin weighs about 63. I actually thought about putting one of my EVM 12Ls in this amp but man... that would put it to right around 70 lbs.

Honestly, my biggest beef with the amp is the weight but if you want 100 clean watts, even SS watts before the whole Class D thing came along, you gotta have big iron.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue View Post
Fender Princeton Chorus:

princeton.jpgprincetonback.jpg
Used to have a 2x10 redknob 25+25 P/C -- great clean sound, rubbish drive channel. If you turned both chorus knobs up full, you had a pretty good approximation of classic Fender vibrato.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TerjeW View Post
The one ss amp i still keep after playing for more than fifty years is the Peavey Bandit transtube. Mine was produced in 1998, and I still use it in a big band setting. . .
I love the Peavey amps, esp the SS's. I have a few Transtube Bandits. I think they're amazingly overlooked.

I'm interested in Roland Cubes, though - but have only played one. That is to say, I am judging an amp by more than how much it sounds like a tube amp. Things like, tone at all volume levels, lightweight, cost, etc.

Greg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen

View Post

IMO, the JC is the best solid state amp because it reveals in its solid state-ness and doesn't try to imitate a tube amp in any way shape or form. I sold mine and have regretted it, though its way too big and heavy for my needs these days.

I honestly think the "tubiness" thing in tube amps is a bit... I don't know... forced. If someone designed a 15 watt amp that could be pushed to 15 watts without distorting, and did it with tubes... well, look at the hi-fi industry today. There are plenty of tube amp designs out there that can go loud and clear and not distorted. Part of the reason why tube guitar amps sound the way they do is because the circuit isn't really meant for loud reproduction, and really they sort of failed at what they were designed to do, amplify the signal faithfully, but now we've gotten used to the sound of what initially arose out of cheap transformers and such. What I'm saying is that tube amps are trying hard to sound like old tube amps, too, so I can't fault solid state amps for having guitar friendly tone controls.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue View Post
This {censored}ing kid is brilliant. Leave him alone.
The truth is that some people are wise beyond their chronological years, and others can live to be centenarians and never gain an ounce of insight. That some of you assume that you're wiser just because you're older just proves that you've gained no wisdom at all.
i'm w this. seems to me honeyiscool is guilty of being articulate, insightful, and interesting. this is a great thread, and it seems to me to be typical of hic's gift for forum ju jistu.

okay, that's my 2 cents (exact change)!

• Members
I honestly think the "tubiness" thing in tube amps is a bit... I don't know... forced. If someone designed a 15 watt amp that could be pushed to 15 watts without distorting, and did it with tubes... well, look at the hi-fi industry today. There are plenty of tube amp designs out there that can go loud and clear and not distorted. Part of the reason why tube guitar amps sound the way they do is because the circuit isn't really meant for loud reproduction, and really they sort of failed at what they were designed to do, amplify the signal faithfully, but now we've gotten used to the sound of what initially arose out of cheap transformers and such. What I'm saying is that tube amps are trying hard to sound like old tube amps, too, so I can't fault solid state amps for having guitar friendly tone controls.
I hear what you're saying and part of me agrees. And I'm not a 100% 'must be toobz 4everz' guy by any stretch to to me, the difference between the Roland JC/older Cube approach and the Yamaha I posted approach is about the same as the difference between a big headroom amp like a Twin and a more modestly powered amp like Super or Pro Reverb. They are in the same general ballpark, but the Super and the Pro react rather than leaving the tone super-de-duper crystal clear. One side isn't right and the other isn't wrong, but an awful lot of guitarists... probably a majority of guitarists... prefer that extra bit of complexity that comes from the more responsive amp... at least once they are exposed to it and have a year or so with both types of amps and learn to run them both to their fullest capability.

idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Wow, that's one big bite of subjective reasoning. And demonstrates ta complete lack of grasp of the concept.

First off, we have to separate out the preamp and poweramp. The preamp is the voice of the amp, the power amp is for clean, uncolored reproduction. It doesn't matter if the amp is tube or SS; Fender or Marshall or Mesa...the power amp is just there for volume, it's identical to a tube hi-fi amp in many cases.

And a 15-watt tube amp can provide 15 clean watts as easy as a 15-watt SS amp. Tube amps are rated for RMS wattage. A 15-watt tube amps provides 15-watts of clean headroom but can be pushed to provide up to 30 peak watts of overdriven power. Don't blame the amp if you turn it up to loud.

By comparison, a 15-watt SS amp can only provide 15-watts period, it's limited to it's RMS wattage and not allowed to peak over that. It actually only averages ~10 watts in under to not push the RMS ceiling.

You want clean tube amp with no hint of overdrive...they are out there. But they aren't common because only pedal steel players buy them. Steeler's love Standel 25L15's, real BF Vibroverbs, real BF Twin Reverbs, Dumble Steel String Singers, etc. because they don't overdrive no matter how loud you crank them.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cratz2 View Post
I hear what you're saying and part of me agrees. And I'm not a 100% 'must be toobz 4everz' guy by any stretch to to me, the difference between the Roland JC/older Cube approach and the Yamaha I posted approach is about the same as the difference between a big headroom amp like a Twin and a more modestly powered amp like Super or Pro Reverb. They are in the same general ballpark, but the Super and the Pro react rather than leaving the tone super-de-duper crystal clear. One side isn't right and the other isn't wrong, but an awful lot of guitarists... probably a majority of guitarists... prefer that extra bit of complexity that comes from the more responsive amp... at least once they are exposed to it and have a year or so with both types of amps and learn to run them both to their fullest capability.

idn_smilie.gif
idn_smilie.gif indeed.

I feel like just about any competent solid state amp tends to get good, clear cleans, up to a certain level. It's what happens after that. Most of them made after 1990 have a pretty good gain circuit that's reminiscent of a dirt pedal (after all, they are just SS/op-amp based clipping circuits after all), and with the gain up, you pretty much get the same tone no matter how you play. On clean, most of them sound just like a clean amp, picking louder just makes you louder, picking quieter makes you quieter. For me, I like somewhere in the middle, where the tone sparkles with neck + bridge single coils, but gets saturated with a boost pedal, and pick attack matters.

It's hard to find solid state amps that quite nail that region for me, and to nail it effortlessly. I prefer to have that thing, what you called "complexity," that makes it more responsive. I don't care if I find this middle ground in the clean channel, dirt channel, or if it has one channel. And honestly, the fact that it always teeters on being a little more brittle than I like is why I, despite loving the Vox tone, often do not enjoy playing them (even the Pathfinder, a bit). There are a lot of amps whose tone I love but response I do not. I guess the JC-120 is one of them.

What's weird to me is that there are several Boss pedals that have good response IMO (OD-3 particularly). It seems like if you stuck on in a JC-120, who would miss the old distortion knob? But that's the price of fame, I guess.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Wow, that's one big bite of subjective reasoning. And demonstrates ta complete lack of grasp of the concept.

First off, we have to separate out the preamp and poweramp. The preamp is the voice of the amp, the power amp is for clean, uncolored reproduction. It doesn't matter if the amp is tube or SS; Fender or Marshall or Mesa...the power amp is just there for volume, it's identical to a tube hi-fi amp in many cases.

And a 15-watt tube amp can provide 15 clean watts as easy as a 15-watt SS amp. Tube amps are rated for RMS wattage. A 15-watt tube amps provides 15-watts of clean headroom but can be pushed to provide up to 30 peak watts of overdriven power. Don't blame the amp if you turn it up to loud.

By comparison, a 15-watt SS amp can only provide 15-watts period, it's limited to it's RMS wattage and not allowed to peak over that. It actually only averages ~10 watts in under to not push the RMS ceiling.

You want clean tube amp with no hint of overdrive...they are out there. But they aren't common because only pedal steel players buy them. Steeler's love Standel 25L15's, real BF Vibroverbs, real BF Twin Reverbs, Dumble Steel String Singers, etc. because they don't overdrive no matter how loud you crank them.
There are lots of SS amps rated for RMS wattage, too, you know. Ratings for guitar amps are kind of all over the place anyway. Don't give me this line about tubes are rated for RMS, SS is rated for peak. The rating is whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean.

In any case, there are many guitar amps with one volume knob, and the power amp in guitar amps is FAR, FAR, FAR from a tube hi-fi amp. Even in solid state amps, they are far from a hi-fi amp. Hartley Peavey says as much in this document that was linked here the other day: http://peavey.com/support/technotes/.../chapter_3.pdf

Really great read, btw. Some real wisdom from a guy who's made a lot of great tube and solid state amps over the years.

• Members

I'm not a Boss hater but this day in age with the higher end pedals that absolutely KILL for certain tones... man. The Barber LTD SR is a great example. It does an absolutely spectacular job at adding just a hint of some Marshall flavor. Other great Marshall pedals like the Direct Drive, the Lovepedal Superlead and the MI Audio Crunchbox do a great job getting medium to high gain tones, but, to me, they really fail at capturing any of that 'fairly clean, but kinda cranked' type vibe which, not being much of a gain user, is what I'm all about. I've NEVER personally used any Boss pedal that even did a 1/10th way decent job at that type of vibe. Maybe the newer COSM pedals can as I think most of the 'classic' BOSS pedals were more about pushing tube amps in different directions rather than making clean amps sound like cranked tube amps... if that makes sense.

Of course, all that assumes everyone is after the tones that I'm after which in at least 75% of the time, is not the case.

If you like that 'complexity' I mentioned, you really ought to try to find a Barber dealers are near you and hopefully offer a no question return policy. Give an LTD or an LTD SR a chance.

• Members

Well, I don't care for the DS/SD pedals, and that's what I think of when I think of Boss pedals. The OD-3 is very different, it's more like a Blues Driver but better IMO. I'm scared to try out your Barber pedal. It sounds expensive and I don't want to like expensive things.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by dparr View Post
I had a JC 120 for several years. I sold it after I got the much more versatal Lab L5. No contest IMO.

The only problem with the Lab is that they didn't build them long enough to become a classic.
I've never owned a JC but agree that the Lab Series is a great sounding amp. I was shocked when I got mine, tge guy I got it from had just been using it for an ext cab! He or I had never heard of them, and assumed it was some crummy SS. Big suprise, a fat sounding ss amp with punch and ya I have to say it, "tubelike" feel. Built in compressor, and active eq that thing IS versatile!

I also really like the fender chorus and the bandits.

Archived