Best non-modeling solid state amp of all time?

honeyiscool

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, it would probably be the Roland Jazz Chorus.

I have never really been a huge fan of them but they're the only solid state amp I can think of that has been widely used for close to 30 years, had some innovations (stereo chorus) and has a distinctive sound (love it or hate it).

It's the only solid state amp I can think of that has become a standard alongside a bunch of tube amps. Marshall 1/2 stack, Fender Twin, JC-120 - all of these have been on stages right next to each other for many years.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Special J View Post
Definitely the Roland JC120 (and to some degree it's smaller variants).
I'd like to hear the BC-60 though.
+1. I have a JC-120 so I'm familiar with its +'s and -'s, but it is the #1 iconic SS amp, whether deservedly or not is another question.

But I've also never heard the BC but it is interesting that I do hear some praise for that series from time to time these days but they didn't seem to catch on in their day. confused.gif

• Members

Best one I've ever used was the Kustom Quad 100DFX. I wouldn't say it was the best out there, though. The distortion sounds a bit limp, even with the gain boost on. It's got two drive channels, UK and US, but the only difference I see is that the UK sounds thinner. But for clean tones, it's got two channels "Brilliant" and "Neutral", plus a full EQ. Coupled with the onboard digital effects, though there are only 8, you can get some nice sounds out of it. For the price (389 GBP RRP) I wouldn't get one. I paid 100 GBP new because no one's really heard of Kustom over here, so the shop just wanted them gone.

DSC001442.jpg

And yeah, that is my limp attempt at a recording setup. RockBand USB microphone. Surprisingly good...

Oh, and if no one believes the price I paid new, I kept the receipt rolleyes.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Special J View Post
Definitely the Roland JC120 (and to some degree it's smaller variants).
I'd like to hear the BC-60 though.
I've had a JC-120, and I think the BC-60 beats it hands down.

JC-120 is more of a one-trick pony than anything IMO. The average person would be far well served with a BC-30 or 60.

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man View Post
+1. I have a JC-120 so I'm familiar with its +'s and -'s, but it is the #1 iconic SS amp, whether deservedly or not is another question.

But I've also never heard the BC but it is interesting that I do hear some praise for that series from time to time these days but they didn't seem to catch on in their day. confused.gif
Consider the crowd they were trying to appeal to...

• Members

For me? No question:

DSC_7220a1.jpg

I've never owned a Jazz Chorus of any kind but I used them for two years in high school jazz band. We had two JC120s and three or four of the 2x12 version of this generation Yamaha and even back then, to my ears, the Yamaha sounded MUCH better. It sounds more 'amp like'. The Jazz Chorus pretty much sounds like plugging into a board to me. Very dry though I can't say it really does anything 'wrong.' The Yamaha is like plugging into a clean amp. It gets a little dirty as you really crank it. A lot of folks would say that a bigger Fender Blackface is the definitive clean sound. It sounds great, but to my ears, it sounds pretty distinctly scooped. Not saying that's good or bad, but it definitely sounds scooped to me and having said that, I'd imagine 9 out of 10 folks that have played through a nice Blackface or Silverface Twin for 20 years and plug them into a JC120, they'll be pretty disappointed. The primary exceptions, I would think, are folks that tend to dial in a darker jazz tone that avoids that top 'edge' of a Twin.

The gain side of the Yamaha is definitely a Dumble/early Mesa-inspired thing. Low, singing gain with more sustain than 'gain' really. Paula Rivera was involved in the design of the original G100 series.

No shortage of big name players that have used this generation of Yamaha at one point or another. Robben Ford used one for a while when he didn't want to take his Dumble. Mike Stern used one as his primary amp with EVM 12Ls. Allan Holdsworth and Pat Metheny have also been known to use them at some point.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
I vote for this:

BC60.jpg

Roland BC-60.
I had a BC-60 for ten years, and it never let me down. It was a clever design, and when you dug in, sounded like a tube power supply and rectifier sagging. Great amp.

My second favorite non-modeling SS amp (on the cheap) is the Vox Pathfinder 15 or 15R... Vox chime for $120 USD new. Loud little bugger too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cratz2 View Post
For me? No question:

DSC_7220a1.jpg
That amp has by far my favorite clean SS tone ever. Really good spring reverb and parametric EQ in addition to a regular 3 band EQ. The dirt channel is pretty much useless, though.

Oh, and a freaking wall power outlet on the back. Like a boss.

• Members

Others I'd be interested in if I found the right deal would be an original Roland Cube 60 - no XLs or XTs or whatever, just the reduced feature set type JC.

And I wouldn't mind getting a Randal MG80. On of the local GCs had one late last year... I was tempted, but I was in a 'getting rid of stuff' phase so I passed. It also didn't include the footswitch and it's a pretty funky footswitch.

And, thought the smallest ZT doesn't really interest me much, I'd definitely go for the right deal on the 1x12 Cub.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lz4005 View Post
That amp has by far my favorite clean SS tone ever. Really good spring reverb and parametric EQ in addition to a regular 3 band EQ. The dirt channel is pretty much useless, though.

Oh, and a freaking wall power outlet on the back. Like a boss.
Hrmm... but it's not meant to be a typical 'dirt' channel. Actually, for what it is, I'd say it's pretty incredible. It does pretty much exactly what the Zendrive or Wampler Ecstasy do, but those pedals cost $200 to $250 and these amps are available for $100 if one looks long enough. Most of the jazz fusion guys that used these particular amps did so because of the gain channel, not in spite of it. But it most assuredly wouldn't not make any classic rock, metal or punk player happy without a pedal in front of it.

Archived