craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

toneforhire

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius

View Post

The guitars are yours now so you can do what you want with them. A deal is a deal, especially if it was made 3 weeks prior. If you like them, keep them. If they aren't your thing sell them back to him or someone else. I wouldn't sell them back to him if he plans to flip them again though. Screw that.

This! No way should you cave in to wishy washy decisions on his part. Likely it's the same reasoning behind his financial dilemmas. He needs to learn and burn...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He got a better offer. He has a Marshall and a Gibson. Ebay has lots of Elitists for sale if he really wants another. You aren't a pawn shop. You even gave the guy a chance to change his mind when you went to buy them, and he said no he wanted to do the deal. I would never in a million years call someone back after a sale- 3 weeks later no less- and expect the deal to be reversed. The guy sounds a little strange. I don't think I would even respond to the guy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by fulcrumpoint

View Post

I am in the Karma train...A deal is a deal, but if you dont have a need/attachment. Its not worth it. Karma is a .....

I just bought back a guitar I sold years ago...and I was beyond happy that the buyer agreed to let it go. I payed a little more but whatever...

I would absolutely up the price a few bucks for gas and the trouble...

Its ok. You can say bitch on the internet. You can also say mother{censored}er. Mother{censored}er mother{censored}er mother{censored}er nya nya na nya nah

• Members

Why is this even a question?

The deal is done and the guitars are no longer his. Doesn't matter if it has been 3 weeks or 3 minutes, once the deal is done, it is done.

If you want to sell them back to him, that is certainly your prerogative to do so, but you owe him nothing.

• Members

This thread reminds me of why I don't like to deal with "musicians". So many feel like they are owed something and so many are willing to cheat others, and so many are just {censored}ty people in general. I think it's the "feeling owed" something that bothers me the most.

My take is similar to others in this thread. You are under no obligation to deal with this guy, but if you feel so inclined, sell them back and do it with a glad heart. Whatever he does after you sell them back is on him and you can't control him, so just LET IT GO if you choose that path.

I would probably choose the middle road. If you like the guitars and feel you got a good deal on them, and don't REALLY want to let them go, but can live with letting ONE go, then offer to sell him one back. No extra money, nothing in return, just sell it back for what you paid. You will be lessening his loss, and you still got a good deal. And you are being a good person. But again, do it with a glad heart and move on.

But take the necessary precautions as others have stated.

• Members

If your not bonding with them I don't see why not either. He did give you a deal in the first place. Not that you owe him anything, but maybe he genuinely misses them and wants them back. Get your money back and buy something or multiple things that you would really bond with.

I would personally take that way. Clean, easy, no mess, no fuss and no one leaves empty handed. Look at it like a free rental/test run or whatever.

But then there is this route which I feel you would be entitled to take if you have the patience to negotiate.

I think about a few things I sold off that I miss greatly, but wouldn't dare to try and contact the buyers to get them back. He does have a lot of nerve and was a bit out of line to call you up. He should of at least offered you a bit more than you paid to really show that he wants them back for good reason. Makes you think if there was any truth in his original story.

He doesn't know you really aren't into them. These things could be your new #1's for all he knows.

• Members
This thread reminds me of why I don't like to deal with "musicians". So many feel like they are owed something and so many are willing to cheat others, and so many are just {censored}ty people in general. I think it's the "feeling owed" something that bothers me the most.

People's sense of entitlement hits a raw nerve with me also.

• Members

what about double secret sellers remorse? how do we know these will not in fact become the OP's number 1s? If they do then what? Ask the guy to resell them back to him? Ive had guitars that I was ambivalent about at first, but after ive grown accustomed to their faces they did become my favorites. Happens all the time. This could lead to a Mexican Standoff.

Just delete his message and move on with your life. At most, keep his email and if you decide to sell these down the road give him the first shot at them.

for all we know he could have some spurious reason for getting these back, anything from his wife is pissed at him, to he found a buyer to offer more.

You are not a pawn shop

• Members

Or the guy could have gotten a better offer after the fact and feels he can re acquire for more $$$.

3 weeks later Id keep them.

The guy allready has A gibby and Marshal wtf would he be missing from the 2 elitist's.

I smell he wants more $$$ and see's the OP as likely too waffle in his favor.

Look the way I see it you paid a fair price when he was desperate something GC and pawns wouldnt have done.

You saved him and should reap at least a minimal reward ala good deal.

Tell him sorry but thats just not right on his part especially a few weeks later.

Or if you decide too sell them back a loan fee should be order.

This isnt sellers remorse folks its a guy fishing for more $$$ imo.

1st thing I thought about. He's probably got a good offer for those now that they are gone and wants to make some $$$ back.

• Members

If you go out of your way to sell them back, he may change his mind a week later and call you to buy them again. His personal pawn shop that comes to him and charges no interest! Or he may flip them for more money.

I wouldn't return his call. If he calls again, let it go to voicemail and see what his story is. I'm guessing he would get the clue if you don't return his call, but maybe not.

Whenever I buy a used guitar, I remove the strings, clean the fretboard, polish the frets, set up the guitar (truss rod, action, intonation), and just get it all up to like new condition as best I can. I may spend 2-3 hours on a guitar if it needs a lot of work, or just 20 minutes if it's clean. Either way it's my time - and if someone were to call me to buy their guitar back, I'd definitely put a price on the setup fee. 2-3 hours? That's at least $100.

• Members

Karma is bull{censored}. Nothing more than superstition.

If you like them and want to keep them then keep them. You've done absolutely NOTHING even remotely close to wrong, unethical..or even the tinniest bit 'taking advantage' of him. You offered him a choice and he took it. End of story.

Archived