craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

toneforhire

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This isnt sellers remorse folks its a guy fishing for more $$$ imo.

That's always a possibility. I'm not sure if that would make a difference to me though unless I was in the business of making money from craigslist, in which case I would have already flipped the guitars.

• Members

I don't understand the Karma angle here. It's not like the OP did anything wrong to the seller. He offered him a lower amount than the seller was asking, then the seller agreed to that amount. That is THE defining part of the equation ... he AGREED to the deal. And he agreed 3 weeks ago, not within a few hours.

It's not like the OP is foreclosing on his house and is kicking him out in the street with nothing but the shirt on his back.

Toneforhire, you don't owe the guy anything. There's no need to be {censored}ty with him, but if you like the guitars, even though they'll never be your #1, keep them. Keeping them doesn't make you a bad person so your Karma should be just fine.

• Members

I don't understand the Karma angle here. It's not like the OP did anything wrong to the seller. He offered him a lower amount than the seller was asking, then the seller agreed to that amount. That is THE defining part of the equation ... he AGREED to the deal. And he agreed 3 weeks ago, not within a few hours.

It's not like the OP is foreclosing on his house and is kicking him out in the street with nothing but the shirt on his back.

Toneforhire, you don't owe the guy anything. There's no need to be {censored}ty with him, but if you like the guitars, even though they'll never be your #1, keep them. Keeping them doesn't make you a bad person so your Karma should be just fine.

I agree that he doesn't owe the guy anything and shouldn't feel bad about telling the guy to forget it. I'm just saying what I would do as long as I didn't need the guitars. If I did need them or were guitars that I really really wanted, I'd probably keep them, but if I was just meh about them and it wouldn't make a difference to me, it wouldn't bother me. I have a couple of guitars that I would never consider giving back but I have others that I'd have no problem giving back.

• Members

I agree that he doesn't owe the guy anything and shouldn't feel bad about telling the guy to forget it. I'm just saying what I would do as long as I didn't need the guitars. If I did need them or were guitars that I really really wanted, I'd probably keep them, but if I was just meh about them and it wouldn't make a difference to me, it wouldn't bother me. I have a couple of guitars that I would never consider giving back but I have others that I'd have no problem giving back.

True, if I were just meh about them I'd be glad to have a chance to get my money back with as little hassle as possible. But it doesn't seem that Toneforhire feels the guitars are just meh. He likes them.

Nobody needs to keep just meh guitars around, especially if they have an opportunity to get out of them what they have in them.

Some of the forum members are making it sound as though after the sale the OP kicked the guy smack in the balls and then spat on him while he was down on the ground. And while that may have happened, it wasn't stated as such.

• Members

True, if I were just meh about them I'd be glad to have a chance to get my money back with as little hassle as possible. But it doesn't seem that Toneforhire feels the guitars are just meh. He likes them.

Nobody needs to keep just meh guitars around, especially if they have an opportunity to get out of them what they have in them.

Some of the forum members are making it sound as though after the sale the OP kicked the guy smack in the balls and then spat on him while he was down on the ground. And while that
may
have happened, it wasn't stated as such.

Yeah, like I said, either way he shouldn't feel bad about it. I mean, imagine if the guy in question would have sold his car to Carmax and then weeks later went back and asked them to give him his car back. Or hell, imagine if he would have sold his guitars to Guitar Center and gone back weeks later and asked them to give him his guitars back for what they paid him for them. They'd probably tell him to take a flying leap...unless GC has some kind of consignment policy or something like that...

As I mentioned, personally I'd do it but not because I felt obligated to. And I don't think the OP should feel obligated to either. But if the guy is just in a bad spot in his life and I didn't need the guitars or wasn't attached to them, I'd probably do him the favor of letting him buy at least one of them back.

• Members

If you like them keep them. Otherwise you essentially "loaned" him money and kept the guitar as collateral, much like a pawn shop. He is not a friend so if you want to be nice sell one or both back, but add at least 50 bucks to the price of each.

• Members

I wouldn't sell them back to him if he plans to flip them again though. Screw that.

This!!!

He might want them back because someone offered more. That would be low ball. Unfortunately there is no way to know if he wants them back because they do mean something to him in which case I'd let him have them back but not if he just want to get a better price, he made the decision, it's done.

• Members

Being on the onther end of this situation myself (never asked for a guitar back though, just alot of remorse) I would never expect someone to sell it back nor would i begrudge them for not doing it. I made the deal, and you even gave him the out by saying keep them for now. Having said that if your feeling like doing something really cool id go with selling him one back at what you paid, and provided he comes to you. Thay way you still have one new guit to still enjoy and he gets a little something back to make his remorse feel a lil better, but if you dig them both hey man theyre YOUR guitars now and there isin't anything wrong with keeping them.

• Members

You know, I like to be a nice guy, and depending on my instinct and take on the situation, I might sell the guitars back to the guy.

However I really would have to wonder if he just got a better offer for them.

Bottom line is it's not really fair that he's contacted you after 3 weeks. If he sold them to a store it would be to late.

Tough call.

• Members

I sold a guitar to someone on here a few years ago. Had major sellers remorse a month later. I mentioned wanting to buy it back if he ever thought about selling it. he said he would keep it in mind.

about a week later he offered to sell me the guitar. I didn't have any cash that particular day so he listed it. I found money real quick and bought it back.

If he wants them back, fine. But I would make him pay for trouble (gas and such).

Edit- what I'm getting at is don't feel obligated to sell it back to him. A deal is a deal. I didn't ask the member to hold my guitar when I didn't have the money. He's a grown up, learn to deal with the consequences.

• Members

Forgive me for saying this, but I'd want to see if he grovels.

Call him back and communicate reluctance. If he presses you, tell him you'll think about it carefully, but as far as you're concerned, the deal's done. That leaves him with a carrot: You called him back, so maybe there's an opening for him. He'll stew about that and call you back again, or maybe not.

If he does call back, you want to find out if he's made a big mistake or if he's just using you because you were a nice guy to him in the beginning. If he seems sincere and wants them back because he really cares about the guitars, then he can buy them back at a slight premium (~2-3%).

It's really tricky, and it's probably above my social skill level, but that's what I'd try to do, anyway.

• Members

3 weeks is a stretch IMO. If it were the next day or something, I'd be more likely to think about it. As far as I'm concerned OP, do what you want. You know how the guy treated you better than we do. You're in good karmic space either way.

• Members

Well you probably know the King Solomon story. Giving one back at cost (your decision which one) was a brilliant and compassionate suggestion. Of course you are under no obligation and the folks here are by and large more generous than the overall population I believe.

I had a similar situation where I made a trade of a Brawley Threat custom for a 90's vintage MIM Strat. He was a metal player and wanted something with a bridge bucker. We plugged said guitars into my amps and he was 100% go. The Brawley was mint, the Fender (Squier Series) not so much. I even threw in a Strap as the guitar had dunlop strap locks installed. He said he might want to install some EMGs. A couple weeks later I get an email that he changed his mind. I mean it was a done deal and I really didn't want to go back as I had now changed out the nut and the trem block for better quality plus I was thinking what if he messed up the electronics on the Brawley, but I felt bad. I waited a week to respond and then saw the Brawley on CL for what he had wanted out his Strat. Somebody apparently snapped it right up cause that was the last I heard, just the one email.

Archived