craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

toneforhire

• Members

Why is this even a question?

The deal is done and the guitars are no longer his. Doesn't matter if it has been 3 weeks or 3 minutes, once the deal is done, it is done.

If you want to sell them back to him, that is certainly your prerogative to do so, but you owe him nothing.

This.

Karma, Shmarma, it's Craigslist for krissake!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Another alternate solution: Call him back, let him know you're using and enjoying the guitars, but that you'll call him if and when you ever decide to sell. If he has any class, he could accept your decision or, potentially, offer you a premium to buy them back. Either way, you retain good social standing by calling him back and being a straight shooter about the situation. Karma might not be real, but people do talk, and that's real enough.

• Members

I talked a bit more with him...he is definitely having finance problems...barely making the mortgage, no real job...he has wife and 4 kids...all the kids are in private school...

I told him I could do 2 things...sell the guitars back to him NOW, for the exact amount I bought them...or I promised to sell them back when he is back on his feet...the dude started crying and loved the idea of buying them back once he is back to fulltime work...he is laid off but expected to be called back in the fall...

I felt REALLY good about this...I will take great care of them, and he will get them back set up and with new strings LOL...

I also called a few buds to see if they could use a carpenter/builder tradesman, maybe turn this guy onto a job...

• Members

I talked a bit more with him...he is definitely having finance problems...barely making the mortgage, no real job...he has wife and 4 kids...all the kids are in private school...

I told him I could do 2 things...sell the guitars back to him NOW, for the exact amount I bought them...or I promised to sell them back when he is back on his feet...the dude started crying and loved the idea of buying them back once he is back to fulltime work...he is laid off but expected to be called back in the fall...

I felt REALLY good about this...I will take great care of them, and he will get them back set up and with new strings LOL...

I also called a few buds to see if they could use a carpenter/builder tradesman, maybe turn this guy onto a job...

You are a class act, my friend. Regardless of what happens, and whether or not you "get anything" for your actions ( be it Karma, or whatever)-your true kindness (after all, you owed him NOTHING) is noble. Taking on a little of someone else's burden for a moment, lightening their load -is a rare thing. Thank you for doing that.

Good on'ya boyo.

• Members

Well done! :thu:

• Members

You are a saint.

• Members
Congrats on being a real mensch.

an uber mensch!

I have to applaud the OP for being generally an awesome human being, but I also cant help but wondering- if this guy is in so much financial trouble then why the hell is he trying to buy his guitars back?? :confused:

• Members

Quoted for awesomeness.

That was huge of you, sir. Respect.

• Members

Way to go man. Very kind and selfless of you.

• Members

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

• Members

an
uber
mensch!

I have to applaud the OP for being generally an awesome human being, but I also cant help but wondering- if this guy is in so much financial trouble then why the hell is he trying to buy his guitars back??
:confused:

Probably a moment of seller's regret. Or rationalizing that surely he can get a job soon enough to pay the bills without having to sacrifice his guitars. Or maybe he found some temporary work that allowed him to cover his nut for another month, and wanted to try to get the guitars back before it was too late. Or maybe his financial troubles are leaving him so miserable these days that playing his guitars is his only temporary comfort. There's no telling...

• Members

Beyond respect. Its hard times for a lot of people and the class you have showed is what makes the hard times turn around.

• Members

It really was a win/win...I get to jam on these guitars for probably 1-2 months, he buys them back...either at the same time or one at a time...no one really looses...its not like the money I gave him is loosing 20% interest LOL...

I feel good about the outcome..although I probably wont gig with them anymore, dont want to risk theft or damage...

• Members

I read some of the responses here and wonder how the posters might feel if someone else tried to exploit and/or take advantage of a painful situation in which they find themselves. Honestly, I hope you find some empathy to balance the manic self-interest.

30 years ago, I sold a custom bunk bed I'd had as a kid; it was Danish modern, the guy who built them was friends with my parents and went on to get a little recognition in that domain. They were worth about $1,200-$1,500, at the time a fair bit of cash for a bunk bed.

I put out an ad, people came, etc. etc. etc. At the time I was in grad school, and actually having some issues with feeding myself because student loan money doesn't go far in Boston. A couple who 'collected' furniture came and offered me $1,450, which was the high offer, and I was close to selling it to them. Then this young guy shows up, nice guy, with his 3 kids and wife, all very formal and super nice. He was quiet but deeply appreciative of the craftsmanship. He then hauled out $480 in crumpled twenties and said "I have this to offer. I apologize it is not $500, but we needed to purchase gasoline on the way. I can write you a check for more."

I told him the high offer, and he said "I understand. They're very nice beds." Him, wife and kids get back in ratty car, drive off.

Later I called him and asked when he could pick them up - I would sell them to him for $480, no questions asked. "Why are you doing this?" he asked. I thought about what a nice man he was, how I thought he'd really appreciate the furniture in a way intended by the guy who built it, and that {censored}, bunkbeds are for kids, not {censored}ing collectors. Those kids should be building forts around that thing.

"Psychic income," I told him. "Interesting!" he said. "I'm a rabbi ... I like this idea." Twenty years later, I do not miss the $1,000. But I know that his daughters loved those beds, and he and I occasionally saw each other in Boston and were friendly.

It's two guitars. Tone, you are doing the right thing; there are things in life far more important than money, and I am happy for you that you have such a good understanding of this.

Archived