craigslist...sellers remorse...what would you do...

toneforhire

• Members

i would never gulit trip someone into selling stuff back to me I sold.

Yeah I really don't understand it, especially if he is going thru hard times, he is better off with money, than a material guitar which won't help him eat if he is that bad off. Not to mention its a Epiphone dot, not exactly a hard guitar to buy again if he ever wanted.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
:lol:

I mean come on...
the guy still has his Marshall and an LP
... and now the OP is going to pamper these guitars for a couple months until the guy can buy them back. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

True. If the seller were really in dire straits he should sell those too in order to get out of the hole. Epiphones are easily replaceable. No big loss.

• Members

One man whines about providing for his kids, another about providing guitars for himself. Life is funny.

You are gentleman for sure but the whole deal sounds shabby..

When I worked at my last factory job, people with mutiple kids always whined about how hard it was to make it. I always said "If you can't afford to feed them, don't breed them." They looked as if I was an asshole, but that's just what I believe. I think you should take responsibility for your actions or know better in the first place. These are the same people that smile whenever they get that healthy tax check at the first of the year ...

Back in 2008, I lost my job and lost my '85 Custom Shop Explorer in pawn. I regretted it and still do, but I didn't go back for it because I didn't have the means to (funding).. Life sucks so bad sometimes and we have to suck it up and live with our decisions on a daily basis. If that means selling something to get by..then so be it.

• Members

Welcome to the welfare state. :)

That's how people
should
think.
:thu:
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people spawning these kids that have a sense of entitlement and want someone else to pick up the slack. I don't get the logic.

• Members

The OP is to be commended for being a good person. I'd probably sell them back to him as well, unless of course the guitars happened to be a 40 year old LP signed by Les Paul himself and a 1947 Martin D-28 in Brazilian Rosewood in mint condition, in which case he would be SOL.

:)

• Members

The OP is to be commended for being a good person. I'd probably sell them back to him as well, unless of course the guitars happened to be a 40 year old LP signed by Les Paul himself and a 1947 Martin D-28 in Brazilian Rosewood in mint condition, in which case he would be SOL.

:)

yes, we all put conditions on our karma. Thats really how it works. Its not some touchy feely hippie ideal but rather , "what can I get out of this?" a new guitar or an E-pat on the back? Id rather have the guitar.

• Members

People's ideas and values change over time

I remember a time in the late 70s when someone I knew was hard up for cash was willing to sell a Gibson Howard Roberts Custom for $600. I took advantage of the situation and went to the bank and got five brand new $100 bills. When the guy brought the guitar to my house, I waved the money under his nose and told him that was all I had "take it or leave it". He was desperate and reluctantly took the $500.

I was proud of myself at the time but now I look back on it as a low point in my life.

There will always be debate on whether we should divorce business and financial affairs from our humanity but the more I experience in this world, the more I choose kindness over material gain. It's getting easier to do - just put yourself in the position of the other person and don't worry about the pat on the back.

• Members

I talked a bit more with him...he is definitely having finance problems...barely making the mortgage, no real job...he has wife and 4 kids...all the kids are in private school...

I told him I could do 2 things...sell the guitars back to him NOW, for the exact amount I bought them...or I promised to sell them back when he is back on his feet...the dude started crying and loved the idea of buying them back once he is back to fulltime work...he is laid off but expected to be called back in the fall...

I felt REALLY good about this...I will take great care of them, and he will get them back set up and with new strings LOL...

I also called a few buds to see if they could use a carpenter/builder tradesman, maybe turn this guy onto a job...

Now you're talking.

Someone here helped me out quite a bit when my wife and I were in a tough situation, and I'll NEVER forget his act of compassion.

• Members

If they weren't guitars that I was really attached to and I had others to go to, I'd definitely do what you did if the guy was in a legitimate spot. Though it was a totally legit deal and you had no obligations at all, being nice is being nice and good on you for showing some compassion.

• Members

I made a mistake and sold a LP custom to a friend. I asked him to sell it back because it was a mistake on my part. I offered 500 dollars more then he gave me and he said "no". Be cool sell back. I would. Have him pay for the gas maybe some lunch. All is well.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

update...the guy never got called back to work...I called him a few times and he called back leaving a message to just keep them, he wont be buying them back any time in the forseeable future...he is moving, house is going through forclosure...probably has a year before they take the house...

what a crappy ending...I even offered to just give him back one of them and he said if I did, he would just have to sell it...he sold his last guitar and the marshall stuff as well...

• Members

Offer to sell them to him market value.

Due to the situation offer him a payment plan if you feel guilty say give you half up front and the rest over a couple weeks (and keep the stuff until he pays).

I feel for the guy, but you're not a pawn shop (where he could have gone if he needed a loan).

Guy sounds like a POS deadbeat that thinks CL is an interest free pawn shop.

• Members

update...the guy never got called back to work...I called him a few times and he called back leaving a message to just keep them, he wont be buying them back any time in the forseeable future...he is moving, house is going through forclosure...probably has a year before they take the house...

what a crappy ending...I even offered to just give him back one of them and he said if I did, he would just have to sell it...he sold his last guitar and the marshall stuff as well...

It seemed like the guy was having trouble with perspective and priorities. Apparently, he didn't realize just how dire his situation was when he first sold the guitars and then wanted them back. They are Epi's after all, which are not difficult to find and purchase at reasonable prices.

Now that he's had to sell the Gibson and Marshall, he's finally gotten some perspective on his desperate situation.

I love gear and guitars too but it's all just stuff. There's so much great budget gear these days that, if I was in that guys shoes, I'd make do with something ultra cheap, or even nothing, until my life improved.

In his situation, the guy is lucky to have a wife and children. That's the main thing he should be trying to hold onto, not his gear. It does seem like he has finally come to terms with that reality.

It's a very sad story. I hope he finds work somewhere soon.

• Members

OH wahhh his kids are in private school and hes not got enough money wahh. 4 kids in private school too,

give me a break how much is that a year? Pull their pampered asses out to public school.

He could then buy a few guitars then.

Under the same circumstances, I'd probably part with some of my gear before pulling my kids out of private school. If I pulled my kids out and put them in public school just so I could keep my gear, I'd be putting my own interests ahead of my kids, which I think is unfair. If they should be pulled out of private school, I'd delay it as long as I could. My gear doesn't come before my kids.

I don't have a kid in private school yet, but when my daughter gets old enough, I'll consider it, not because I'm a rich snob, but because I remember my own experiences in public schools, and in a number of ways (without weighing the pros and cons of a public education here) I would not wish that upon my children.

• Members

I've sold stuff back to the original owner before....at the point I was approached I was 'done' checking it out, nice to get the money back out of it. Personally, I don't see it as a big deal...it's a selling opportunity....if the guy wants it back that bad...then I would probably tack on what I had into new strings, the set up, cleaning it up, some trouble for dealing with this crap...he should understand....if not, he's a nut job, it's all off the table....

• Members

Under the same circumstances, I'd probably part with some of my gear before pulling my kids out of private school. If I pulled my kids out and put them in public school just so I could keep my gear, I'd be putting my own interests ahead of my kids, which I think is unfair. If they should be pulled out of private school, I'd delay it as long as I could. My gear doesn't come before my kids.

I don't have a kid in private school yet, but when my daughter gets old enough, I'll consider it, not because I'm a rich snob, but because I remember my own experiences in public schools, and in a number of ways (without weighing the pros and cons of a public education here) I would not wish that upon my children.

I feel so lucky to be living in an area that has an excellent school district. I don't have to send my child to private school for a great learning environment...at least compared to most of America.

If I lived in Arizona, private school would likely be a must. No offense to AZ residence but your schools are some of the worst!

This poor guy is now losing his home! He's going to be dealing with many harsh realities beyond lost gear and public schools. I just hope the poor guy manages to keep his family together through all of this! So sad.

• Members

Let me start with -Toneforhire- you are a total class act! Through the first four pages of this thread I was very skeptical that he had a better offer and was playing the pity card to make a few more bucks. But as it turned out the guy has serious financial issues and has fallen on hard times and by telling you to just keep them as he will only sell them proved his problems were legit. What really {censored}ing turned me off were the douche bags who after reading that kept insisting for you to keep them and basically saying "{censored} it it aint your problem". Though I do believe in a deal is a deal in this situation I would of conducted myself as you have. But do not get too caught up in CL or forum sales as this was a rarity! I have seen countless for sale threads with sellers playing the pity card that they have to move a piece of gear due to financial issues only to see that the moment they sell a week later they are posting a NGD thread. On another forum it is actual a guy I am rather friendly with MO!

Archived