You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Members

^^^ I agree. The new 2012 American Standard Strats have the second tone control wired to the bridge pickup. Personally I prefer a master-tone, or the G&L wiring which has one for master treble and one for master bass.

Wow. I did not know that. After 60 years, someone at Fender actually noticed that they have been wiring their strats wrong all this time!!!

How long will it take for them to realise that 2 tone controls for 3 pickups is not ideal?

I also prefer master tone and volume controls.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wiring tone for the bridge is one of the simplest electrical mods ever. You simply jump the bridge lug on the 5-way to the middle lug.

Ok, but do you still have tone on the front and middle?

I never understood why its not a master tone control.

• Members
Volume knob is in the way of punk rock and is therefore stupid.

Pinkie swells are only for people who wish they'd picked up a real instrument like violin

LOL

a good volume pedal works too.

you may appreciate strats more when you are 40. :p

• Members

I'm not a strat lover as some of you know. It's not the sound I dislike but the shape of the thing. The pickup and wiring arrangement would be something I would not have a problem with but in a Tele or LP body. More likely would be an LP or hollow body with split humbuckers. I know that's not quite the same as a single coil but it would be close enough for me.

• Members

The Strat is a finicky beast. A lot of factors have to be in alignment for them to work. If anything I think Strats are the most unforgiving of guitars, not the Tele. Teles are very plug n play. For this reason I used to hate Strats too. I liked the sound of them when others played them, but I could never get mine to sound or play good. Finally I got a good one and now its my #1. And Ive never had a problem hitting the volume knob while I play. Wiring a tone knob to the bridge pickup is an easy mod. I also recommend installing a baseplate to the bridge pickup. I did this to my Lollar Blackface bridge pup and now I love to play in the bridge position on my Strat, as long as I roll the highs off a bit it sounds great by itself. Fat and raunchy like a P-90.

I have this crazy theory that everyone's playing styles are different and thats why theres so many vareities of guitars. . .and its not really a competition to see whos favorite guitar is the best, just find the guitar that works for you and enjoy it.

So based on that theory, making a blanket statement like "Strats Suck" is really ignorant and selfish. Why dont you just say, "I dont like Strats, therefore they suck"

• Members

Strats are the most comfortable guitars to hold. Very ergonomic and sexy feeling.

And theres no other sound like the front and front/middle on a strat.

Its all the other stuff that bugs me. Too damn many pickups and limiting controls, and a finicky as hell trem system.

But without the extra pickup and that springy bridge, you can't get the classic strat tone.

Life is a compromise I guess. I really like strats in a lot of ways, and hate em in other ways.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DarthElvis

View Post

All these people complaining about hitting the volume knobs, middle pickups, switches etc. must flail around like {censored}ing epileptics. Get some technique FFS.

I don't flail. It's just you ever notice that Strat players naturally pick close to the neck when they're doing a full strum as to avoid the pickup switch? Also, you'll notice that when playing genres like hard rock, a Les Paul player will usually palm mute with the blade of the hand right up against the bridge. Meanwhile, a Strat player will often approach the bridge at a slope, so that the pinky doesn't jam into the volume knob. When doing palm muted down strokes, Strat players usually limit their motion in ways that Les Paul players often don't. To me, Strat players seem to move their hand a lot to avoid the controls. Strat players probably don't even think about this stuff, but they definitely do it. I can show you lots of videos of Strat players and they do these things.

If you play a guitar where you have a different set of restrictions, then you have a different style. For instance, I hear some people bitch about the LP pickup switch or the Jaguar pickup switches. I don't even know how anybody can ever hit these while playing because my style of playing avoids that region entirely, but if you grew up playing a Strat and trying to avoid Strat controls, then now you're strumming right into the path of Jaguar pickup switches. I figure it's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima

View Post

I have this crazy theory that everyone's playing styles are different and thats why theres so many vareities of guitars. . .and its not really a competition to see whos favorite guitar is the best, just find the guitar that works for you and enjoy it.

So based on that theory, making a blanket statement like "Strats Suck" is really ignorant and selfish. Why dont you just say, "I dont like Strats, therefore they suck"

That's what I say, though, if you actually read what I've said in this thread and not just the title (which is trollish, I admit).

I think what a lot of people like to ignore is the fact that not only does everyone picks instruments based on playing styles, people develop their playing style based on the equipment they have. Since Strats are ubiquitous, a lot of people learn to play guitar in a way such that Strats are ideal, but for those of us who didn't start on them, Strats are often uncomfortable in ways that Strat lovers just won't understand.

For instance, I have this theory that part of the reason why Teles have such a reputation for being twang machines is that sure, the pickup is twangier, but perhaps just as importantly, a Tele doesn't punish you for playing close to the bridge, where a Strat makes it somewhat uncomfortable, so Tele players just play closer to the bridge and get an even twangier tone as a result.

• Members

I understand that Strats are uncomfortable for you to play. Fine I get it. Dont play Strats then. I dont care. But when someone says they enjoy playing them and that they don't experience any of the supposed draw backs or defects then you have to just learn to accept that as well.

If I do alter my playing style to accomodate a Strat, Im not aware of it. I don't notice any glaring problems when I switch between guitars, like say from a LP to a Tele to a Strat. Then again I like to think of myself as being very flexable when it comes to guitars. I dont really have a favorite Style of guitar. I genuinely enjoy playing the major types of guitar equally. Strat, Tele, LP, SG, etc, I like em all. I know what I don't like, but Im not real particular. For me its more about the particular neck shape and set-up than the brand or model. And like I said Im not consciously aware of altering my technique when changing guitars. Maybe Ive been playing guitars so long I just dont think about it anymore, like its all muscle memory.

I guess some poeple are just really particular and fussy about what guitars they can play. Im glad Im not like that.

• Members

I've never questioned anybody's enjoyment of their Strats so I have nothing to learn to accept because I already do.

You might make small adjustments in playing that you just don't notice, or you might just have a style that works equally well for all the guitars you play. But I have to think, if you start going down the list of other body styles, there'd be some where you feel that your technique doesn't work. I mean, guitar shapes don't stop at the four you named.

There's something I really like doing, where I half mute the treble three strings and play little melodies and chord progressions. I like to control the volume by resting the pinky on the bridge saddles while I do downstrokes. I find that really hard to do on a Strat the way I want to do it. I can fake it by playing it closer to the middle pickup, but then I can only full mute it, I can't half mute anymore, so it's a different sound. Maybe if I'm a Strat player, I would have never developed that quirk to my playing. But it's something I don't want to give up now that I have it, since I have songs that have to be played that way.

• Members

I take back part of what I said. I do notice having to alter my playing style when playing some guitars. For instance one thing I dont like about my Melody Maker is where the switch is located. Its on the lower bout in the front and I can't strum over the neck pickup without hitting it. And sometimes if Im playing sitting down I accidentally flip it up with my leg. Something like that is pretty minor tho and I can alter my playing enough to where its not that much of a problem. Im not gonna go start a "Melody Makers suck" thread over it. wink.gif

When I switch between a 25 1/2 scale guitar and a 24 3/4 one I notice I have to adjust my bending technique to prevent out-of-tune bends because LPs are easier to bend on. Again, Im so used to doing this its not really a problem. Lets see. . I dont like Vs because they're hard to play sitting down. really hate super skinny necks so I don't like most shredder style guitars, like Ibanez RGs, Jacksons, etc. And I dont like super hot humbuckers. Other than that it's hard to think of a kind of guitar I genuinely don't like to play. As long as it doesnt have a skinny neck, hot HBs, a weird, uncormfortable body shape or extra jumbo frets Ill play it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

Can't even play chugga chugga without turning off the volume every two minutes.

/troll thread

Sounds like you need some guitar lessons. Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Knopfler etc. never complained. A poor craftsman usually blames his tools.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

View Post

Popularity isn't the same thing as quality. Enjoy your McGuitar.

In this case, those two scenarios mentioned go hand-in-hand. This guitar reeks of quality! It even has a McMustard pick guard. Fries are not included.snacks.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=350291&d=135

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

I don't flail. It's just you ever notice that Strat players naturally pick close to the neck when they're doing a full strum as to avoid the pickup switch?

No, they do that because a Strat in the neck position played there is one of the most amazing sounds a guitar can make.

Also, you'll notice that when playing genres like hard rock, a Les Paul player will usually palm mute with the blade of the hand right up against the bridge. Meanwhile, a Strat player will often approach the bridge at a slope, so that the pinky doesn't jam into the volume knob.

Les Pauls are hardtails, Strats aren't.. Did you miss the day "leverage" was covered in physics class?

When doing palm muted down strokes, Strat players usually limit their motion in ways that Les Paul players often don't. To me, Strat players seem to move their hand a lot to avoid the controls. Strat players probably don't even think about this stuff, but they definitely do it. I can show you lots of videos of Strat players and they do these things.

When I drive my truck, I don't care to avoid potholes or mud. When I drive my wife's car, I do. Two tools, two different approaches. Neither one prevents me from getting where I'm going.

If you play a guitar where you have a different set of restrictions, then you have a different style. For instance, I hear some people bitch about the LP pickup switch or the Jaguar pickup switches. I don't even know how anybody can ever hit these while playing because my style of playing avoids that region entirely, but if you grew up playing a Strat and trying to avoid Strat controls, then now you're strumming right into the path of Jaguar pickup switches.

I play differently no matter what guitar I'm holding. The Strat design doesn't limit me any more than an SG or Tele would.

I figure it's like that.

You figure poorly...

That's what I say, though, if you actually read what I've said in this thread and not just the title (which is trollish, I admit).

I think what a lot of people like to ignore is the fact that not only does everyone picks instruments based on playing styles, people develop their playing style based on the equipment they have. Since Strats are ubiquitous, a lot of people learn to play guitar in a way such that Strats are ideal, but for those of us who didn't start on them, Strats are often uncomfortable in ways that Strat lovers just won't understand.

For instance, I have this theory that part of the reason why Teles have such a reputation for being twang machines is that sure, the pickup is twangier, but perhaps just as importantly, a Tele doesn't punish you for playing close to the bridge, where a Strat makes it somewhat uncomfortable, so Tele players just play closer to the bridge and get an even twangier tone as a result.

Never afraid to put forth your opinions as fact.. Even when you're completely wrong, you're sure you're completely right. Some things never change around here.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD

View Post

No, they do that because a Strat in the neck position played there is one of the most amazing sounds a guitar can make.

What does that have to do with selecting the neck pickup? You know you don't have to pick right at the pickup you've selected, right?

Strats have the thinnest tone of any guitar I know of. I just listened to Sultans of Swing. The guitar sounded like it was recorded through one of those 9v battery amps.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

View Post

What does that have to do with selecting the neck pickup? You know you don't have to pick right at the pickup you've selected, right?

Strats have the thinnest tone of any guitar I know of. I just listened to Sultans of Swing. The guitar sounded like it was recorded through one of those 9v battery amps.

Because people that actually understand tone know that picking near the neck (even is it isn't right at the pickup) will give you a smooth, warm tone. Couple that with the brighter tone of single coil pickups, you get a really funky, cool sound. Don't worry, you'll get there one of these days.

Archived