You know what sucks? Strats.

honeyiscool

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jimi Hendrix never had a problem with the volume knob. So, perhaps, the solution for those challenged by a Strat is to flip it around. You can buy a lefty Strat, flip the nut, string it righty, flip it upside down and all the knobs are completely out of the way.

As for the middle pup, if that gets in your way, grab a screw driver and lower it into the body until it's flush with the pickguard. Problem solved.

• Members

Jimi Hendrix never had a problem with the volume knob. So, perhaps, the solution for those challenged by a Strat is to flip it around. You can buy a lefty Strat, flip the nut, string it righty, flip it upside down and all the knobs are completely out of the way.

As for the middle pup, if that gets in your way, grab a screw driver and lower it into the body until it's flush with the pickguard. Problem solved.

Hendrix was on enough drugs not to notice it was upside down.

• Members

What I hate most about Strats is I can't make up my mind which one I want: Eric Johnson Strat, John Mayer Strat, or Mark Knopfler Strat. I was leaning toward the John Mayer Strat this morning, but then I came across this video of John Mayer playing a Jeff Beck Strat.

• Members

Been playin' mine for 14 years and we get along just fine.

cimg1163u.jpg

Controls never really bothered me. (mostly)
Had to rig the bridge pup to the mid pup tone control though.
Easy fix, 2 inch wire bridged at the switch selector. Now I have better control and she's just perfect.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

inspired by J-E-M's strato I did mine up today and Love it , it's so nice not hitting into that pickup I never use . I also added some sweet Bourns pots and I wired the neck pup direct to volume ( no tone control for the neck ) She rocks !

s1.jpg

s_pots2.jpg

s_pots.jpg

GaneshaStrat.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Members

The only thing that really bugs me about a strat is the lack of a tone control on the bridge pickup.

My strats bridge pickup is really icepicky and if I use it I gotta tweak the tone on the amp.

I don't know enough about wiring and modding to change that.

But if I were to wire the bridge for tone, what do I have to give up re the other two pickups?

Am I gonna loose the tone on one of those? What else will change?

• Members

The only thing that really bugs me about a strat is the lack of a tone control on the bridge pickup.

My strats bridge pickup is really icepicky and if I use it I gotta tweak the tone on the amp.

I don't know enough about wiring and modding to change that.

But if I were to wire the bridge for tone, what do I have to give up re the other two pickups?

Am I gonna loose the tone on one of those? What else will change?

Wiring tone for the bridge is one of the simplest electrical mods ever. You simply jump the bridge lug on the 5-way to the middle lug.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2446198-Strat-Bridge-PUP-Tone-Mod

Archived