Would you refret / restore an old guitar you love or buy a new one?

bluesnapper

• Members

My 1970s Suzuki MIJ Martin copy acoustic has seen better days. The frets, nut and tuners need replacing and I want to fit a good pickup because I've been having the obvious feedback problems when miking up at gigs. I've been borrowing my singer's cheap Yamaha but I really don't enjoy or feel comfortable playing it.

I love the Suzuki, but it's not worth a great deal and all this work would probably cost over

• Members

I'd say it depends on how much you really want to keep playing with that guitar. If you think that after getting some work done on it, that it'll be something you will keep playing for a long time, then I'd say go for it. But if you think it's more of a beater at this point, I'd just look to buy a used acoustic for now. Then you can sell this used one when you finally have the funds to get the higher end model that you want.

• Members

First of all, I try to buy Stainless Steel frets to take refrets out of the equation but if they were not SS and I really liked the axe, I would refret (with SS) and restore. Acoustics can be tricky though, as in, more can go wrong with them, or so it seems.

If you really like the Suzuki, refret it. That's my 2 cents. Nuts and tuners are easy fixes and don't come into the equation for me.

• Members

Fix it. As in, fix it yourself.

Does it really need a complete refret or would a dress do? Fretwork is not really anything magical. The nut is dead easy. Tuners are even easier - if they actually need replacing.

If it sounds good and the non replaceable parts are in good order then why not go for it?

• Members

I've got a friend who has about $500 invested in a $200 guitar that he restored. His expensive guitars come and go but this "cheap" guitar is his player.
If you like it and plan to keep it restore it but if you plan to sell it expect to lose money

• Members

It's a guitar you love. Why turn your back on it in its time of need? biggrin.gif

First thing I'd do is have the frets looked at and get an estimate. I'd get things done one by one as I can afford them.

Just think of how much more you'll love that old guitar when you get its issues sorted out. Some things are just worth the price.

• Members

This is HCEG. We would, after posting numerous GAS threads, buy a Squier, upgrade it and proclaim it to be the ultimate guitar, only to quietly sell to fund a craigslist prize. During all this, we would have our old guitar fixed, and we'd eventually go back to it, on account of it being our favorite.

So I think you should just have the guitar fixed since you like it so much. That's what I'd do.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed View Post

Does it really need a complete refret or would a dress do? Fretwork is not really anything magical. The nut is dead easy. Tuners are even easier - if they actually need replacing.

If it sounds good and the non replaceable parts are in good order then why not go for it?
Yeah, I don't have the skills or the tools to do my own refrets - one day perhaps I'll find time to practice on an old neck but too busy for the time being. Frets definitely need to be replaced - worn right down to the fretboard at the first three frets and fairly worn above that too. Tuners are on the way out - they're the cheap unopenable kind - the pegs are getting loose and they rattle a bit.

I've got a reliable tech who will fix the frets for a good price, but I'm not sure if it's worth shelling out the money for a good acoustic pickup too...

• Members

I have a similar age Suzuki acoustic, and had it refretted around 15 years ago. Basically, it's not the same guitar that it was - sound and feel - and it has little love from me now.

However acoustics vary hugely, and you may never find another that plays or sounds as good as this one does to you. On that basis I'd say it's worth a gamble to get it repaired so you can keep an instrument you like, rather than trying to find a cheap replacement that's nowhere near as good.

• Members
I love the Suzuki
That sez it all raht there. You'll never, ever, ever find something that does what this one does for you. Lemme guess, you wore the thang out, right? IMO take your tried and true friend to the best luthier you can find. Spend whatever it takes. 'nuff said.
BTW y'ever hear of this cat named Willie Nelson? Ya think HE wants a new geetar? Not hardly.

• Members

I have an old Art and Lutherie "beater" that needs some bridge help, maybe a replacement. I think new, it was less than 400 dollars. Def not top of my list, but I am going to get it fixed when I get some extra cash. It's not worth anything but I love playing the damn thing. Lots of good memories too, it has been to more campfires and such than I can remember, and even survived a couple tumbles into the fire with me (thankfully I got that out of my system early facepalm.gif)

So I say if you like it, then yeah, get it fixed. A new higher end one might sound better, or whatever, but it's nice to have an old favorite around.

• Members

Of the 40 guitars that I currently own, none of them are even remotely close to needing a refret or any kind of restoration.

I have guitars that are more than ten years old and have less than an hour of play time on them to this date and most of them are still on factory strings.

My main instrument is saxophone and I like collecting guitars.

• Members

I have a 28 year old MIJ Fender 62 re-issue Tele that I bought new in Sam Ash back in 85 for $490 and it cost me $300 to have it re-fretted 8 years ago- I did not hesitate for a second! It all depends on the guitar as that ax was magic from the minute I plugged it in and others from that era are long gone.

• Moderators

The frets on 70s MIJ guitars weren't at all made from a brilliant alloy. and so I'm guessing your seeing big notching on the GBE from frets 1-6?

Is it a Nagoya Suzuki or a Kiso?

I'd be tempted to splash out the

• Members

fix it.

I fixed my 63??? Arbiter acoustic just because I have had it from new and I felt it was worth replacing the bridge and saddle plate, un bellying the top, putting a new nut etc etc.

Now thinking about frets.

Do it.

It will make you happy.

• Moderators

No real idea what it is / when it was made... some pics below... you're right - major notching all over the first 3 or 4 frets, and above that not much better. It's a pretty guitar, lovely to play and sounds really nice, but it's part-laminate construction and probably isn't worth a great deal.

I'm not really after a specific style of acoustic - if I had the

Archived