Would you refret / restore an old guitar you love or buy a new one?

bluesnapper

• Members

That's a Nagoya Suzuki, and a D35 copy if I'm not mistaken, I don't know my Martin's very well, and very nice they are too. I'm also guessing that has a good bulge at the neck joint.

Hmmmm, thing is I'm also guessing that that guitar is still playing quite well, notched frets down at the lower end don't really affect playability a great deal.

If you want a finger picker then splash out on a Tanglewood TW73 if you can find a used one, you'd like a 12th fretter?

If son there are Recording Kings, Tanglewood

This may not even attract a bid as the seller hasn't listed a model

Nice Crafter

Also if you can find a used faith Mercury, I had to turn to a Series 1 last montha at 200 quid:( and that's a

• Members

A refret saved my #1 from collecting dust to being back to my #1. As a matter of fact it was better than ever because the 6105 frets are worlds better than the original stock Gibson "school bus" fret work. A $275 investment (more than a 1/3 of what I paid for the instrument in '93) that made the guitar better than stock and will last for a 10-20 years.

72_lp_1.jpg

• Members

I have yet to find a guitar that is perfect. If it isn't the p/ups being swapped or frets being resized or something with the electronics getting customized...its the neck being replaced or some other thing.

And it usually isn't because anything is inherently wrong with the guitar to begin with. its just that I have yet to find a guitar that perfectly fits me. I'm too fat for a pointy guitar. it will pop me :poke:

So all of that to say this: do whatever you want. its your guitar :facepalm:

• Members

I saw the pics and this guitar has character

Fix it and keep it

So what if it's not a Martin.

I once had a Harmony Sovereign that was made in Korea during the late 70's.

It held it's own against "better" guitars

In fact I wish I still had it

• Members

Fix it. I had a guitar that I absolutely loved, and when I moved I left it behind because I didn't know that I would meet someone who would've been able to restore it. DOH. I wish I still had that guitar, but there was no point at that time in me carrying what was ostensibly a dead guitar from one continent to another.

• Members

No real idea what it is / when it was made... some pics below... you're right - major notching all over the first 3 or 4 frets, and above that not much better. It's a pretty guitar, lovely to play and sounds really nice, but it's part-laminate construction and probably isn't worth a great deal.

I'm not really after a specific style of acoustic - if I had the

• Members

I'm in the same boat...I have a 40 year old Yamaha acoustic given to me by my mother-in-law that sounds great and I don't really want to part with it. It mostly sits in its case but I've contemplated having it refretted as there's almost nothing left of 'em.

• Members

I have a 1970 Les Paul Custom (bound neck) that I bought used in 1974. Needless to say I've owned it a long time. I stopped playing it a couple of years ago because the frets were so worn it was unplayable. I found a guy who came highly recommended by friends to do the refret. I actually had jumbo frets put on it. I love the guitar now more than ever, it plays way better than it ever did. Find a good trusted tech and do it!

Archived