No Effects! Best Rig: Guitar + Amp.... What is it?

Heartbreaker1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
303861426_2c232e1d34.jpg

into a Fender Twin Reverb (ideally a Fender Twin Reverb preamp section into a McIntosh power amp, but that's a little extreme).

a buddy of mine plays in a big jerry tribute band around here and he's got that full setup. Twin preamp into the power amp. Nuts how much gear he hauls around with him haha

• Members

I used to have an AOR back in the early 90's, loved it! Had both a VC30 and LC30 with weber bluedogs some 13yrs ago.

Can't find a dealer local or else i'd have another laney. Nothing but love for laney
:)

I'm a big fan of the Laney VC series...a VC15 210 Made in the UK is one of those pieces of gear I desperately regret selling...you can find Laney on Amazon, Zzounds and a few other places, FYI-I'd also imagine there's a shop in SoCal that stocks Laney amps...

• Members

Is that a 5E3 circuit amp?

Honestly not sure. I'm not really an electronics guy, so I couldn't tell you. All I know is that it just oozes greesy, sludgey snarling blues rock tones all over your face. It has a built-in attenuator, so that is a HUGE plus for recording and playing at bedroom levels.

• Members

Honestly not sure. I'm not really an electronics guy, so I couldn't tell you. All I know is that it just oozes greesy, sludgey snarling blues rock tones all over your face. It has a built-in attenuator, so that is a HUGE plus for recording and playing at bedroom levels.

5E3=Fender Deluxe and(some would say) Silvertone 1472/1482. I ask because it's listed as a 12W amp...kind of a strange wattage if it's not. If it is, it must be sweet...and based on your description, I would guess that it is. Furthermore, assuming it is, you can pick up one of those old Silvertones in the $250-$500 range and that would get you fairly close, tone-wise :thu:

• Members

I'm a big fan of the Laney VC series...a VC15 210 Made in the UK is one of those pieces of gear I desperately regret selling...you can find Laney on Amazon, Zzounds and a few other places, FYI-I'd also imagine there's a shop in SoCal that stocks Laney amps...

I had 112's and yep...regret getting rid of 'em. But such is life.

There used to be a couple of small shops that had (or could order) laney several years ago...but not now. I haven't called the ship, but there might be one about an hour north of me. Before i spend 2hrs in a car + noodle time, i'd want to know that they had every laney amp model ever made -ha!

• Members

5E3=Fender Deluxe and(some would say) Silvertone 1472/1482. I ask because it's listed as a 12W amp...kind of a strange wattage if it's not. If it is, it must be sweet...and based on your description, I would guess that it is. Furthermore, assuming it is, you can pick up one of those old Silvertones in the $250-$500 range and that would get you fairly close, tone-wise
:thu:

Ahh ok. It definitely has way more growl and bite than any fender I've ever payed. It just responds to dynamics so well. I thought it was a 15 watt?

• Members

For about 15 years my "rig" consisted of my les Paul and jcm800 combo and a cable. Great setup, never let me down nd covered a surprisingly lot of ground. Over the years the things I have to have has grown considerably, and probably needlessly.

• Members

Ahh ok. It definitely has way more growl and bite than any fender I've ever payed. It just responds to dynamics so well. I thought it was a 15 watt?

Just looked it up...12W and I'm 90% sure it's a 5E3 with an attenuator...the old tweed fenders and silvertones were point-to-point handwired and are famous for responding to picking dynamics. If you dig the Tone King Falcon, check out an old silvertone...there are a ton of demo videos on youtube, this one's not the best but I'm feeling lazy:

Archived