No Effects! Best Rig: Guitar + Amp.... What is it?

Heartbreaker1

• Members

In what respect do the reissues blow?

They're (most) covered in poly, they don't look or feel like the originals and they don't sound like them either. Plus they use cheap imported parts. If they were $400 I could call them good for the money but for the prices they cost I don't like them. YMMV.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're (most) covered in poly, they don't look or feel like the originals and they don't sound like them either.
Plus they use cheap imported parts.
If they were $400 I could call them good for the money but for the prices they cost I don't like them. YMMV.

That's just bizarre. Why would a Japanese-made guitar use imported parts? You mean imported from the US? Other than the Bigsby, the rosewood and the maple, I'm thinking they use Japanese made parts. In any case, I've owned a couple of early-60's American-made Gretsches, a couple of recent Japanese-made Gretsches and a couple of Electromatics. Electromatics aside, there's really no difference in the sound or feel of the Japanese models to the vintage models. I can't tell you for certain, but the Japanese models are probably better made :wave:

• Members

That's just bizarre. Why would a Japanese-made guitar use imported parts? You mean imported from the US? Other than the Bigsby, the rosewood and the maple, I'm thinking they use Japanese made parts. In any case, I've owned a couple of early-60's American-made Gretsches, a couple of recent Japanese-made Gretsches and a couple of Electromatics. Electromatics aside, there's really no difference in the sound or feel of the Japanese models to the vintage models. I can't tell you for certain, but the Japanese models are probably better made
:wave:

A lot of the 60s stuff was junk too. I'm talking about the 50s stuff. I have had some 60s stuff that was kind of cool but most of it needed a lot of work (neck work, re-binding, etc...). The 50s stuff when they were making the really cool stuff that was high quality was great - and has held up. That's why I posted my never repaired '57 6120. I have owned a bunch of the reissues and none have felt/played/sounded anywhere near as good. The exception would prob be the Stills Falcon that Heritage made (I have never owned one though). YMMV.

As far as the necks not being different I played a reissue 6120 and the neck was nothing like any of the old ones I have owned/played. Maybe they're using 60s profiles under all that poly.

• Members

I gotta agree with bjcarl...

having played a lot of the reissues side by side with the same vintage models, the reissues nail the tone, and are often more playable than the originals. And the Japanese build quality is really outstanding. I would put them up against any USA production guitar. Even the Korean made ones smoke.

As for the thought on the neck shape - back in the day, the big chunky necks were all the rage. Today's player prefers a slimmer "60s style" neck. If they made the reissues with the baseball bat neck, no one would buy them.

• Members

I gotta agree with bjcarl...

having played a lot of the reissues side by side with the same vintage models, the reissues nail the tone, and are often more playable than the originals. And the Japanese build quality is really outstanding. I would put them up against any USA production guitar. Even the Korean made ones smoke.

As for the thought on the neck shape - back in the day, the big chunky necks were all the rage. Today's player prefers a slimmer "60s style" neck. If they made the reissues with the baseball bat neck, no one would buy them.

never played an old model with a "baseball neck" or a "big chunky neck". Which are you referring to? Someone should tell Fender, Gibson, etc... that nobody buys guitars with big necks. Maybe they'll discontinue the 52 Tele, Historic LP, etc... as they all have very large necks - much larger then an old 6120 - that's for sure.

So you're saying a 50s 6120 has a baseball bat style neck. I have to say that if that's so you must think an Ibanez Wizard neck is slightly chunky.

• Members

Telecaster / VOX AC30

televox005.jpg

OR

White Falcon / Roland Jazz Chorus

PICT0696.jpg

The Strummer Tele's sweet...did you get one of the first 1500 or is that an "aftermarket" sticker? I would've said the White Falcon is gorgeous but apparently(according to BG76) it "blows" lol.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
The Strummer Tele's sweet...did you get one of the first 1500 or is that an "aftermarket" sticker?
Thanks.

Yeah, I got one of the first batch with all the stickers, stencils, and other stuff. But the IGNORE ALIEN ORDERS sticker that comes with the guitar is not like Joe's at all, so I purchased the correct glossy aluminum one from a seller online. I also painted the pickguard to look more like Joe's

It is an ugly guitar, but I have to tell you, it is some fantastic guitar. The '60s vintage bridge, pickups, neck make the Strummer Tele absolutely incredible. I was stunned by just how great a guitar it is.

jscc1gd.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BG76 View Post
never played an old model with a "baseball neck" or a "big chunky neck". Which are you referring to? Someone should tell Fender, Gibson, etc... that nobody buys guitars with big necks. Maybe they'll discontinue the 52 Tele, Historic LP, etc... as they all have very large necks - much larger then an old 6120 - that's for sure.

So you're saying a 50s 6120 has a baseball bat style neck. I have to say that if that's so you must think an Ibanez Wizard neck is slightly chunky.
necks in the 50s were most definitely bigger than today's necks. Those reissues have the old specs, so they use the big necks like they old ones had. You only see huge necks on reissues like that, never on standard series production instruments.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just giving my .02 idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

In what respect do the reissues blow?

They don't. Some people just like to convince themselves that Oder is always better but it's a load of crap. Of you spend some time on the gretsch forums you will find that many die hard gretsch fans feel the current Japanese made guitars are have better build quality and QC than the vintage ones. I checked out a couple of vintage gretsch guitars when getting my 6128 and for my money ill take a modern one over an old any day of the week.

Archived