No Effects! Best Rig: Guitar + Amp.... What is it?

Heartbreaker1

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

They don't. Some people just like to convince themselves that Oder is always better but it's a load of crap. Of you spend some time on the gretsch forums you will find that many die hard gretsch fans feel the current Japanese made guitars are have better build quality and QC than the vintage ones. I checked out a couple of vintage gretsch guitars when getting my 6128 and for my money ill take a modern one over an old any day of the week.

I'm pretty sure everybody knows that. I used to have a '61 Gretsch(ok, it was a 6118, not a 6120) and yes, it had class, style and mojo, but in no way was it superior to the couple of post 2000 Japanese Gretsches that I've owned. I'm amused by anyone who thinks that they don't build 'em like they used to necessarily means that they used to build them better. Don't mean to stereotype but I'd take the precision of a modern Japanese luthier in the rigidity of a modern Japanese production facility over God-knows-who back in the 50's(almost) every time thumb.gif

(incidentally, the "golden" era of Gretsch ended in 1962, so yes, my '61 was, presumably on par with a '57)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All new guitars are perfect these days, so the only real difference is the grade of the materials. It's hard to build a marketing and growth strategy on that, so they perpetuate the "old is better" myth to allow them to put "magic marketing desirability mojo" into models to cream some free extra profit from the people that believe the marketing. Then they can bump up the price of the bread and butter versions and they still look cheap by comparison. It's just business.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

I don' know about best but pretty much anything plugged into my Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne sounds great. The only negative is the reverb control being on the rear.

I feel that way about my Heartbreaker combo as well, sounds great with both hums and singles - Mesa makes some great stuff. The same could be said of my old Magnatone Custom 413, though my Fender Pro Jr only likes singles and harps through a green bullet.

Still to give a fair response to the question, I've been very impressed with a couple of Blues artists I've seen playing a Strat through a Dr Z. Not sure what specific models but sounded like a match made in Heaven to me.

Archived