You have $600 (inc tax or shipping) to spend on an electric guitar. What do you buy?

Hand Amputation

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation

Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX

How would it fit into your already-too-big collection of guitars?

I don't understand the question confused.gif

What would it offer that you don't already have?

I simply meant to exemplify the point that I, nor most other members of this forum, could ever have an already-too-big collection of guitars wink.gif

However, since you extended the scope of the question, allow me to elaborate...

I love the body styles of the PRS SE and the ESP MH and F series... they all have a wide range of finishes available as well. While the PRS pups would not give me a much different sound than what I have now, I do eventually want something with an EMG 81/85 combo... Or perhaps I could just throw some different pups in the PRS... but then we get past that $600 cap...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Amputation

Quote Originally Posted by RedJamaX

How would it fit into your already-too-big collection of guitars?

I don't understand the question confused.gif

What would it offer that you don't already have?

I simply meant to exemplify the point that I, nor most other members of this forum, could ever have an already-too-big collection of guitars wink.gif

However, since you extended the scope of the question, allow me to elaborate...

I love the body styles of the PRS SE and the ESP MH and F series... they all have a wide range of finishes available as well. While the PRS pups would not give me a much different sound than what I have now, I do eventually want something with an EMG 81/85 combo... Or perhaps I could just throw some different pups in the PRS... but then we get past that $600 cap...

• Members
I was looking at the $500-$600 Gibsons and was very underwhelmed by the fit and finish on every one that I picked up. So I picked up this used off of craigslist for $250.

PRS1_zps4c0b7c70.jpg

To answer your question about where it fits and what it adds? I already have a Strat and a 335 type (Sheraton). This fills the gap in between. I've wanted a P90 guitar for a long time. My first electric was a 65 Gibson SG Jr. and I've wanted that sound back in my arsenal for a while. That's why I was looking at the cheap Gibsons, but after looking at the fit and finish they were just too rough for me. Plus, this PRS is light, balances well and is a dream to play. The fit and finish is great. At this price it isn't a guitar that I need to baby so I can leave it out, pick it up whenever, take it with me on trips, play it on the couch, whatever.

• Members
I was looking at the $500-$600 Gibsons and was very underwhelmed by the fit and finish on every one that I picked up. So I picked up this used off of craigslist for $250.

PRS1_zps4c0b7c70.jpg

To answer your question about where it fits and what it adds? I already have a Strat and a 335 type (Sheraton). This fills the gap in between. I've wanted a P90 guitar for a long time. My first electric was a 65 Gibson SG Jr. and I've wanted that sound back in my arsenal for a while. That's why I was looking at the cheap Gibsons, but after looking at the fit and finish they were just too rough for me. Plus, this PRS is light, balances well and is a dream to play. The fit and finish is great. At this price it isn't a guitar that I need to baby so I can leave it out, pick it up whenever, take it with me on trips, play it on the couch, whatever.

• Members

OT: I'm about to trade my 70's Tribute LP for a Joe Strummer Tele. Having spent $500 on the Gibson, I think it's an equitable trade, possibly leaning slightly in my favor thumb.gif

If I didn't just score a Goldtop Deluxe, there'd be no way I'd be letting the Tribute go, however...

• Members

OT: I'm about to trade my 70's Tribute LP for a Joe Strummer Tele. Having spent $500 on the Gibson, I think it's an equitable trade, possibly leaning slightly in my favor thumb.gif

If I didn't just score a Goldtop Deluxe, there'd be no way I'd be letting the Tribute go, however...

• Members

Hrmm... I'd probably try to find a used or well-negotiated Eastman AR403 or AR371 or something in that ballpark.

If I actually had $600 on the table, I'd save a few more $$$ until I could manage a used Peerless Manhattan or New York.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

Buy his tribute and then he can just buy the Tele?!?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gardo

View Post

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsnHbKMjJk96lSNcLFMCP

This

Completely different than anything I have

Hey gardo, I picked one up about 10 weeks ago, for slide in open tunings, currently playing it in open E. The only thing I've done to mine is put on a set of Martin Resonator strings...I like and play the hell out of it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Funkytone View Post
Hey gardo, I picked one up about 10 weeks ago, for slide in open tunings, currently playing it in open E. The only thing I've done to mine is put on a set of Martin Resonator strings...I like and play the hell out of it!
Sounds like a good time.
How does it work with an amp?

Archived