Guitar with built in effects?!????

Voltaire

• Members

yes i own a kay with onboard effects

kaycontrols2.jpg

he has, echo, whirlwind (leslie like sound),tremelo, wah and fuzz.

it's a bolt on lp model with a solid mahogany body, this was the topmodel kay produced in the 70's at that time.

there are also bassguitars around with onboard effects.

OHG MY GOODNESS! I owned one of those back in like 77', or 78'. It was actually a very cool guitar. I ran thru batteries like crazy. That is very nice considering it is 30 years since I have seen one. I never knew it was a Kay though. There was no name on it. Good post! I just had a flashback!:thu: The guitar was given to a female I knew by the name of Kay Smith. She was a Nancy Wilson Look-a-like and very cool.

• Members

The only guitars that I know of that come with build't in effects are Corts.To this day my stepbrother is still on the quest for the Explorer of wich you speek.

Like this one 'eh? Looks to be in decent shape. But alas, not local for him to check out in person.

Cort Effector

• Members

hey I live right up the road from that store! maybe I'll check it out...

It's been listed on the website for at least 2-3 years. It's possible they are getting sick of it "sitting" around.

"IF" you do make it over there, do me a favor and check out that Peavey Patriot for me. What I want to know is, in the picture, it looks like a scratch where the body and neck meet. It maybe just the lighting, so if you happen to spot it in the store, maybe you could let me know if you see that in person (scratch).

http://www.tradingmusician.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=122&id=7369

That friggin Floyd Rose Discovery with the fly pickguard has been "calling" me

as well.

http://www.tradingmusician.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=122&id=7912

Send me a PM if you check out what shape the PV or Floyd Rose are in, thanx.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

ive costomised my fender squier with an in build over drive with an on off switch ...now i can blend it with a blues driver and it gives a very smooth sustaining sound and tone if i dont mix it with boss blued driver it still sounds like the one on eric claptons tones on songs like sunshine of your love  or cross road am extremely happy with it ,,,a student of mine build me the overdrive in a cigar packet so i thought the board was very small to fit in inside the fender mechanisms in side si designed one arrangement ...i pic mail it to you guys.

n0fx wrote:

In the mid 70's...Electra MPC...LP copy with plug in modules...pretty cool

actually.

I had a friend in the early 80s who had a double cutaway Electra with onboard effects.

Also, has anyone mentioned the Gibson Firebird X? It is probably the most modern version of the concept. 

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Since that thread is resurrected, I might as well add my contribution.

My very own Aria Pro II RS X80, made in Japan in 1983.

It has a 3 way rotary switch. 1St position is just the guitar, no fx.

2nd position is a boost or light overdrive with its own dedicated gain knob.

3Rd position is a pretty heavy distortion, again with its own gain knob.

Out of the 5 black knobs, 2 are regular volume and tone controls, 1 is a pointy 3 way rotary switch, 2 are gain controls for boost and distortion.

It needs 2 9V battery to work, and is a truly amazing guitar, as good a s anything.

DSC_2089_zpstr6gvnuz.jpg

• Members
yes i own a kay with onboard effects

kaycontrols2.jpg

he has, echo, whirlwind (leslie like sound),tremelo, wah and fuzz.

it's a bolt on lp model with a solid mahogany body, this was the topmodel kay produced in the 70's at that time.

there are also bassguitars around with onboard effects.

I'd like one of those. I always thought it was odd that they put all those effects into it but it doesn't seem to have a pickup selector switch.....

What's the neck like on it? And the pickups?

​I have one of the Kay Effector Guitars also. It was sold by Sears and has no name on the headstock. It plays OK and sounds like most of the cheap guitars of the period. The effects are pretty derivative.without much difference from effect to effect. It occupies a spot deep in the closet. Mine is all original and still has the plastic on the pickguard.mlXYts.jpg0UKhCq.jpg

Archived