Guitar with built in effects?!????

Voltaire

• Members

Anyone own any of those type of guitars?

they have built in #1 Phase,#2 normal-effects,#3 delay, #4 vibrato, #5 wah, #6 chorus, #7 distortion

I'm seeing one on ebay an explorer style.. but i've never seen anything like it before.

but.. i just thought it was neat.. and was curious if anyone currently owns something like it.

• Members

yes i own a kay with onboard effects

kaycontrols2.jpg

he has, echo, whirlwind (leslie like sound),tremelo, wah and fuzz.

it's a bolt on lp model with a solid mahogany body, this was the topmodel kay produced in the 70's at that time.

there are also bassguitars around with onboard effects.

• Members

I had an Alesis X-Guitar a few months ago. It was a nice little Gimmick. Sam Ash had them on sale for $169 on Closeout. The guitar itself had a one piece neck and was solidly built (there was not one visible glue spot or bound piece at all) After about 20 days I just couldn't get past the Cheesiness of it and took it back to buy the Digitech RP-250. I think I made a good choice. The novelty wore off real Quick.

The neck on that guitar was a real winner though, but not enough to make me keep it.

• Members

never saw the kay, but i just got an alessis x-guitar for $159 from sam ash in nov. 06, really well built, didn't get the wah pedal, but it sounds great & is well made. you plug headphones straight into it, better headphones make a difference. I'm gonna buy a dunlop or vox wah to go with it.

• Members

Danelectro had some out a few years back:

"The Innuendo ($269) features distortion, chorus, echo, and tremolo built-in, accessible via four buttons on the pickguard. Two knobs are also provided for controlling the distortion and tremolo speed. The Innuendo is available in Blue/Silver Sparkle Burst, Gold Sparkle Burst, and Limo Black. Other hardware features on the Innuendo include a fulcrum tremolo and graphite nut. "

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Danelectro/PR/Danoblasters.html

• Members

i borrowed an electra as a loaner once while i was having a guitar set up. i quite enjoyed it actually, but found the built-in effects to be pretty unusable. a lot of unwanted noise and very little actual effect. not even subtle, just simply not much there. great neck & decent PUs, though.

• Members

The Electras are the ones I've seen before, too. I think GFS makes modules now that you can plop into your control cavity. Personally, I'd rather have a pedal, as I swap effects a lot and rarely like one so much that I keep it forever, but to each their own.

• Members

On the one hand, I think this is an interesting idea because if you got really good a tweaking the controls while playing, you could create some unique sound textures. But, on the other hand, I think it is much more practical to have the pedals on the floor so that you can use them with multiple guitars.

In another forum, I read about a guy who built a delay pedal into his guitar so that he could tweak the controls with ease while playing. It is a cool idea. My Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo has the potential for some crazy sounds if I tweak the knobs while playing. But, it also has the potential to be gimmicky.

:wave:

side20view.jpg
here's one of HCEG's own Archiemax's Danelectros -- he's got two he made, the fx are all Dano plastic pedals rehoused in the guitar, IIRC

• Members

kaycontrols2.jpg

it's a bolt on lp model with a solid mahogany body, this was the topmodel kay produced in the 70's at that time.

there are also bassguitars around with onboard effects.

I'd like one of those. I always thought it was odd that they put all those effects into it but it doesn't seem to have a pickup selector switch.....

What's the neck like on it? And the pickups?

• Members

a friend of mine made one. It was sweet but super heavy. He used boss pedles and built them in. He also, and this is the best part. put a built in wah pedle, not an auto wah, a wah, whitch he used by moveing his elbo in and out, it was crazy hard to use. I played it a few times i only really used the distortion and the wah. I have no clue how much he spent to make it but i'd wager, it was alot.

• Members

kaycontrols2.jpg

I had one of those, it was in the late 70's, but I don't think Kay was name on the guitar, could have been, I might just not recall - seems I bought mine through Sears or Montgomery Wards, but it looked just like that. It's funny, I've never forgotten that guitar - I don't remember any particulars, how it played, or even what I did with it, traded it, sold it or what, but I definitely remember the guitar itself.

• Members

I'd like one of those. I always thought it was odd that they put all those effects into it but it doesn't seem to have a pickup selector switch.....

What's the neck like on it? And the pickups?

the neck is nice ,but the former owner was a very small lady with small hands and she changed the neck radius (shaved some off) that's a shame but still he plays smooth.

pickups are reasonable not that bad, but hey it's still a cheapo for around 200$you must be able to find one.

the pickupswitch is something i missed and added later, but that caused another problem, in certain effect combinations and with the right pu he produces a siren like sound :D.

like a burglar alarm, gave a friend of mine a quit a scare a few weeks ago :D :D.

better left it alone but i want my guitars to be practical also not only collectable, and whitout pu switch and both pu's always on the sound was not that good, it now sounds way better.

much more defined.

Archived