J.Backlund design announces new Korean made models!

Bruce Bennett

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kevin you must be talking about me. I DON'T wanna talk pollitics. However, I admitted guilt of having bipartisan perception, and perhaps even errantly placed R-CAD on one side. I didn't say it was bad...in fact I said I respect those views. The only thing that frustrated me was the impression that his concern for workers' rights seemed to contradict anything else I figured he stood for.

I feel like I have fanned the flames too much and will shut up on the topic. My apologies to John & Bruce. So back to guitars: After giving it thought for a couple days I for now have settled on the R-800 tremolo model in butter yellow with rosewood board. I will try waiting on the forthcoming details before making my pledge.

• Members

I really wish i had disposable income right now. If I could just feel a neck, lol. Tell ya what guys, I'll raise the rest of your money for a freebie. =P If I wasn't in the middle of a move and being screwed by movers dammit.

• Members

AxeGrinder, politics asaide I think that is an excellent choice on guitars.

I just get sooo sick of politics being brought into every discussion it seems (ok many).

I don't see how anyone's political views have much if any bearing on guitar choices. I mean unless the* boogie man* starts churning out $100.00 Strats.

The bummer isn't that there were political references made on page 10 or 11 its that we all saw it coming on page 1. Hence my original post in this thread.

• Members

(possibly off-topic...)

Bruce, John, et al. congratulations! It's exciting that you're taking the plunge to expand your business and manufacture guitars that more people can afford. It works for Gibson (I own an Epiphone) and for Fender (I've owned multiple Squiers), and I'm hoping it works well for you.

You're starting with beautiful designs, you've got an abundance of domain expertise, and I have no doubt you'll end up with a fantastic product.

Small businesses---small business owners---taking these kinds of risks and putting in this kind of effort is the core driver of economic growth. I wish I had your skills and courage. The least I can do is pony up for a t-shirt, if not for a guitar.

• Members
:lol:
even if this place was 100% men you're stats are surely off. Look in the quote box man.
:lol:

don't look at me.. I like Guns, Girls, Guitars and Vodka... and not neccessarily in that order. but you can find at least 2 of them on my person at any given time.

• Members

I'm working up a little drawing for a new Bridge to take with me to NAMM.

Based on the Hipshot baby grande, but perhaps a bit more "in tune" with John's "Automotive" theme..

I'll send John a copy when it's done, and get his tweaks on it. MAYBE we can get a quote on a custom bridge.

and Heck I'm sorry about my comments. I'm not here to hurt anyones feeling or stomp on toes..

the worlds never gonna reach a perfect situation becuase its always changeing. so if your and activist then thats good. be active. get something done thats good for this world.

just know that ole Bruce will open his mouth, pour Stolie in it and then say something stupid...

• Members

I wish Mr. Bennett and Mr. Backlund the very best.
:thu:

And you tards that {censored} all over this thread ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Can't you keep your rhetoric to yourselves for just 1 freaking thread? Are you 8 years old?
:mad:

:facepalm:

You just insulted Tards and eight year olds by comparing them to the usual suspect resident no life having losers that have to validate their otherwise meaningless existence by coming to threads like these and smearing feces all over the place like some kind of animal playing with their own excrement.

It's the same toolbars over and over again. I'm embarrassed for them because they don't know enough to be embarrassed for themselves. Absolute lack of class.

John and Bruce will have the last laugh at all the nay sayers, and jellous haters with their inevitable success.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett

View Post

yes, they started out in Korea. but have switch since then. there is a thread about it over at TGP.

This is false. Our guitars are built in South Korea, and we have never had plans to make them in China.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Naylor

View Post

This is false. Our guitars are built in South Korea, and we have never had plans to make them in China.

but.. but.. theres a thread on TGP, it MUST be true!

in any case, some of the people posting in this thread need to seriously re-asess their lives. just... wow.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett

View Post

yes, they started out in Korea. but have switch since then. there is a thread about it over at TGP.

lots of rants in it.

Really? Which thread is this?

Reverends are made in Korea, not China.

This is from Ken Haas at Reverend:

Nope, nothing doing.

We have a great relationship with the company that builds our guitars, Mirr Music Co Ltd, and have no intention of taking the business elsewhere.

You really should get your facts straight, Bruce. Spreading false information about another company's products in a thread promoting your own products doesn't look good. Korea has been making excellent quality guitars for years now, there's no need to talk down another company to try to make your own look better.

• Members

Ah well, looks like I'm in on a hard tail. facepalm.gif

Count me as one - maybe the only one here - who isn't really in love with the looks of the piano-shaped bridge. It was the one thing I always thought looked sorta "tacked-onto" Backlund's designs. Kinda like "here's the funkiest-looking bridge I can find" but, to me anyway, it never quite meshed with the rest of the design.

If, as Bruce aluded to, a more "automotive-themed" bridge design could be implemented, I think it'd make a huge positive difference in the guitar's aesthetics. But I'll take it like it comes, whatever it is. Thanks for the opportunity!

• Members

They are lovely guitars. You two must be so proud of your achievements; congratulations. I may get in on a trem; also will wait to see the specs, and if I'm over my twice-per-decade GAS spree.

It's profoundly disappointing to see all of the juvenile and foul-mouthed responses to someone who is politely advocating for the better treatment of other people. You may disagree, or find it uninteresting, but the attempts to silence are embarrassing. Democracy is built upon permitting others to have different points of view, and thinking them over. The angrier and pettier the response, the more I assume the poster is simply uncomfortable with their own incomplete thoughts or ignorance. Just saying. Strong people permit themselves to care for others. Refusing to care is the province of the weak.

I will also vote against the piano bridge ... looks too much like a jaw harp to me, and visually doesn't match the weight of the rest of the guitar's design. I do like that it's different, though.

Somewhere in there, you also stated medium-jumbo frets. True not everyone can be pleased on a first run, but I truly hope you guys would be able to pull off an option where I could get smaller, vintage type frets. Esp. on a "L O W action" guitar, I just prefer them.

Usually I'm picky about fretboard materials and finish, but I think these designs will lend themselves to light or dark, glossy or no. Another wish is for the pups; I don't agree that most people always swap them out. I think that *sometimes* they do and esp. if you're looking at a mass produced guitar, people may be purchasing them with no intent to mod them. Your selection of tappable hb's is fantastic; what about some tappable lipstick buckers? would look SO righteous in that body shape ....

And the pastels: honestly, ick. I don't know why, I like pastels on a lot of offsets and etc., but the guitar's design is so aggressive, the pastels just feel kinda wormy. Can't we get some metal flakes going? The tangerine metal flake sounds {censored} hot.

Joe, thanks for setting us straight about the Reverends. They are terrific guitars. The Internet has taken over from the media as the birthplace of modern misinformation.

Again for all the folks who are having trouble with the subtleties of human interaction and who, filled with an equal parts an excessively overblown sense of self righteousness and passive aggression, feel that, regardless of context, it is their mission to set the world straight to the tune of their particular agendas, I will explain my overly important views and agenda. This is a public forum funded by private dollars. We probably allow the greatest amount of free speech of any guitar forum on the web. I have not banned people with whom I disagree, I have not generally disagreed with the agendas of people with whom I have a disagreement about their sense of time and place. I have not removed posts of a political nature. I don't believe I should have to.

If I invite all of you to a barbecue at a local park, please don't chastise me for my support of a "corrupt" or insensitive meat industry. Please don't lecture me on the obvious immorality of eating meat while expounding your views of vegetarianism. Please do have a beer and a bun and enjoy yourselves, or just STFU or leave if you can't. Time and place.

If I invite you to the wedding of my 17 year old daughter who is getting married because she is pregnant but who feels that the boy is the love of her life, please don't make a toast about abortion and how her life would ultimately have been better without the yoke of a child and a marriage that statistically is doomed to failure. Please do have a glass of champagne and dance with your date, if you can find someone who would spend 4 hours with someone as insufferable as yourself.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

I'm sorry to hear that. It also sucks that American workers have lost many of the rights they fought so hard for from the 30's through the 50's. I respect your talent and think your designs are fantastic. I'm sure you are probably hopelessly under compensated for the service you provide your current employer.

But I'm not going to let your situation make me feel guilty for asking these questions. Nor will I be intimidated by the mob harmony central mentality that I'm some how being a "hater" or that my questions "don't belong" in a thread like this. They do.

When Korean factories are willing to just close up shop and move their factory over seas because their workers make just a little noise about not wanting to loose 30 fingers a year, and have respiratory diseases caused by the factory work, etc.....well....it's not hard to imagine that workers in other Korean factories and going to keep their mouths shut and not say anything for fear of loosing the job they have.

I think they deserve a voice too.

wow....go away for a few hours and come back and it's nothing but {censored}ing constant stupidity from you. page after page of stupid comments.

But of course I'M sooooo angry right?

Seriously though...how the {censored} do you get to be so stupid? I really want to know. Did you practice it? Is it inherited? Are your parents this stupid too?

Come on...tell me...my scientific mind needs to know...is this Nature stupid or Nurture stupid?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Frets99

View Post

Joe, thanks for setting us straight about the Reverends. They are terrific guitars. The Internet has taken over from the media as the birthplace of modern misinformation.

Again for all the folks who are having trouble with the subtleties of human interaction and who, filled with an equal parts an excessively overblown sense of self righteousness and passive aggression, feel that, regardless of context, it is their mission to set the world straight to the tune of their particular agendas, I will explain my overly important views and agenda. This is a public forum funded by private dollars. We probably allow the greatest amount of free speech of any guitar forum on the web. I have not banned people with whom I disagree, I have not generally disagreed with the agendas of people with whom I have a disagreement about their sense of time and place. I have not removed posts of a political nature. I don't believe I should have to.

If I invite all of you to a barbecue at a local park, please don't chastise me for my support of a "corrupt" or insensitive meat industry. Please don't lecture me on the obvious immorality of eating meat while expounding your views of vegetarianism. Please do have a beer and a bun and enjoy yourselves, or just STFU or leave if you can't. Time and place.

If I invite you to the wedding of my 17 year old daughter who is getting married because she is pregnant but who feels that the boy is the love of her life, please don't make a toast about abortion and how her life would ultimately have been better without the yoke of a child and a marriage that statistically is doomed to failure. Please do have a glass of champagne and dance with your date, if you can find someone who would spend 4 hours with someone as insufferable as yourself.

wouldn't the more correct analogy be....

We are in the middle of having a BBQ when some other friends arrive trying to sell you some meat from their store?

Archived