Backlund Neptoon 1500

J Backlund

• Members

The guitar was shipped from the Netherlands last Monday but is currently stuck at FedEx in Memphis due to a minor import paperwork snafu, but it should be back on the road within a day or so, if not sooner. This is the only image I have of it finished, so it will have to do for right now...

Image74.jpg

• Members

Bucksstudent wrote:

Do you mean that someone's going to play that thing?

I actually think it's pretty cool.

I'll probably have a few casual demo videos of it being played by some local guitar talent, but I don't play guitar much anymore myself, so it's probably not destined for a lot of use other than as a display piece at a NAMM show or two. Otherwise, I expect that it will mostly be an interesting wall-hanger at home.

• Members

J Backlund wrote:

The guitar was shipped from the Netherlands last Monday but is currently stuck at FedEx in Memphis due to a minor import paperwork snafu, but it should be back on the road within a day or so, if not sooner. This is the only image I have of it finished, so it will have to do for right now...

Image74.jpg

Wild  for sure

reminds me of this

ray gun

I also like the black tele style hanging next to it on your wall.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Do you make these on order for people or is this for yourself?

Do you sell many of these guitars?

I don't personally sell or build guitars at all.

I had this guitar commissioned for myself based on my design illustrations of it. I just received the basic pre-fab parts to complete another one yesterday, so there will eventually be three of them in existence, my two, and a third being made by the Dutch luthier who's made three of my guitar designs for me, Marco Krijger in the Netherlands. There are no plans that I am aware of to produce any more of them. As it stands now, I won't allow any of my guitar designs to be built as special order custom shop instruments. The few designs currently being made are marketed by Retronix and are of Korean manufacture.

Here's the Neptoon 'kit' I received yesterday, along with Neptoon #1....

• Members
I like it' date=' but not the two tone. All orange would do for me. Cool.[/quote'] +1. Freakin' sweet nevertheless, I'd hit a MIK version for sure. Well, ok, depending on price, my expendable income isn't boundless. Let's say I'd make a serious stretch for it.

• Members
+1. Freakin' sweet nevertheless' date=' I'd hit a MIK version for sure. Well, ok, depending on price, my expendable income isn't boundless. Let's say I'd make a serious stretch for it.[/quote']

Thanks!

I highly doubt that this guitar will ever see production, I expect it to remain a rare oddity. If, by some quirk of fate, it was to become available as a Korean-made production guitar, I would estimate that it would retail between $1200 and $1500, with a 'street price' somewhat below that, but that's just an uneducated guess. If the Neptoon was built as a special order custom shop guitar like the JBD-400 was, I would expect a hand-built U.S. Neptoon to cost around $4000, maybe more. My orange/cream Neptoon #1 cost me around $2,600 to have made and painted, and there's no profit figured into that, just my personal costs to be able to have one for myself, and it was a bargain at that price. There's no way I could have afforded to have a well-known U.S. luthier build this guitar for me, not on what I make. It could have easily gone north of $5000 with all the unique fabricated parts it required, and that might include a gig bag to carry it around in at that.

• Members
... Neptoon #1 cost me around $2' date='600 to have made and painted, and there's no profit figured into that, just my personal costs to be able to have one for myself, and it was a bargain at that price. ...[/quote']

That is an awesome price for such a high end, detailed, and unique build. I would have easily guessed double that price. I've been very impressed with all the work Marco has done for you, he is a very talented craftsman.

Archived