Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Threaded bushing (10mm keyhole)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Deluxe-Tuner-EAD-String-Threaded-Bushing-Style_W0QQitemZ390054724343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item5ad112c2f7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Sorry, missed this post earlier.

Yes, threaded bushing, 10mm hole required in headstock.

• Members

I think I have a set of the tuners that would have come on this guitar. They're all metal and say Gibson on the back with a little flower.

The guitar was reamed out for the larger 10mm tuner holes. The originals would have been the 11/32" Kluson repros with push-in bushings. He could still use the old style, but it would require some conversion bushings (Stew mac sells them).

But if they don't want them and you ever want to sell the set, I'm game.

• Members

So are you relaxing the neck in order to make truss rod adjustments a little easier or are you hoping that it just takes?

I noticed the severe relief in one of the earlier pictures and was kind of worried considering there was that much and it didn't even have strings on it. I'm trying to figure out how in the hell that could happen without string tension as well. :confused:

• Members

The guitar was reamed out for the larger 10mm tuner holes. The originals would have been the 11/32" Kluson repros with push-in bushings. He could still use the old style, but it would require some conversion bushings (Stew mac sells them).

But if they don't want them and you ever want to sell the set, I'm game.

The reason I have a set is that I took them off a LP that I have because they didn't work well!

Allparts makes a great replacement for these (which are really nice). They have the correct profile to fit the indentations in your headstock.

• Members
So are you relaxing the neck in order to make truss rod adjustments a little easier or are you hoping that it just takes?

I noticed the severe relief in one of the earlier pictures and was kind of worried considering there was that much and it didn't even have strings on it. I'm trying to figure out how in the hell that could happen without string tension as well.
:confused:

Good question.:thu:
Both.
I'm sure that Gibson would not have released it for sale had it been that way at the factory.
Something has happened to cause it to warp out of shape...and it has taken a set in that position.

By leaving it in the clamps in the back-bow configuration for a while, I'm anticipating that it will re-set itself in a more favorable position.
I've seen it happen before.
It took a set in one direction, should be able to do so in the other direction as well...just gotta nudge it gently & give it time to do it on it's own...
Also, before i take it out of the clamping fixture I'll snug the truss rod nut, which will also help it to stay in that position.

Ideal scenario would be for it to hold slight back-bow under string loads, which would allow me to back the truss rod off slightly for the ideal playing configuration.

As far as how it happened, who knows.
Could be something like, someone left it in their car trunk in summer with a 50 lb box of box of books on top of it...or maby...really no way to know.

• Members

A little time with a hair dryer might be in order too....

That's always a posibility.

I watched Erlewine do an old Martin, with no truss rod, that had severe relief & no way to adjust it.

He put it in his neck jig, pulled the neck slightly past where he wanted it & put heat lamps on it to soften the glue under the fingerboard & then held it in place while it cooled...slippin the board, I think he called it.

p.s. This is a 3 piece laminated neck...any heat applied that would allow the fingerboard to slip, could also cause the laminate glue to soften as well...don't want that, so I'll save that for a last resort type situation.

The ones I've done previously all worked well without heat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

It is pretty cool, isn't it?

YES! I actually wanted to do that after I graduated college, but fell out of love for a while. Only now I'm back in. I even see that Neal Moser is offering classes now! I'm so wanting to do that...

• Members

Just read through the entire thread. This is going to be an awesome-looking guitar when it's done! thumb.gif

One point that I don't believe anyone has brought up regarding the pickups...since you're planning to install P-90s in place of the mini-humbuckers, you should know that there are differences in the way they mount. Looking at your mounting plates (which, incidentally, are identical to the plates in my '80 Deluxe), I believe that you'll be able to use the two interior holes for mounting the P-90. They appear to be the correct spacing, but I would double-check it before placing the pickup order, just in case. Mini-humbuckers use the outer two holes. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I figured I'd mention in the interest of possibly helping you anticipate another stumbling block. Good luck!

• Members

wow, great dialogue going on here after i last logged on late last night! i really appreciate all the interest in this thread.

regarding the neck relief issue; i agree with others here~ i'm going to learn so much about how to address issues like this one, and couldn't be more excited about having them somewhat de-mystified whereas before they may have seemed unsolve-able. very cool.

regarding the tuning key situation; i haven't checked out wyatt's link yet, but it sounds like whatever's on the other end of that link is what we need for this guitar. meandi, is that correct? if so, please let me know and i'll look into buying it and getting it over to you.

regarding the pickups; the P90s were ordered almost two weeks ago from Bryan at BG Pickups. Given what i've heard from other forumites, he should be happy to connect with meandi to give him the spacing measurements and work with meandi in the event there's a variance. i'll PM him about this (and invite him to check out the thread as well).

This is already a great thread, and the real fun hasn't even started yet!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

Oh yes!!

Since your going all out, I wonder if maybe a full tuner "upgrade" is in order?

I say "upgrade" in quotes, because I have never had any problems with that model of tuners, but the guitar is going on 28 years old, it might be easier just to get a new set of something, to save hassles later on. Plus since there is a refinishing going on, you wouldn't have to go with that particular brand (to cover the dimples left behind, as they will be gone).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sxyryan

View Post

Oh yes!!

Since your going all out, I wonder if maybe a full tuner "upgrade" is in order?

I say "upgrade" in quotes, because I have never had any problems with that model of tuners, but the guitar is going on 28 years old, it might be easier just to get a new set of something, to save hassles later on. Plus since there is a refinishing going on, you wouldn't have to go with that particular brand (to cover the dimples left behind, as they will be gone).

good thought; i've also never had a problem with this style of tuner. also, these are not original to the guitar. i bought them on a wihm off of eBay at the last minute because they were so cheap (i think i paid $8 for the set). little did i know that one of them was stripped. oh well. it would be great if i could get one new one, so i didn't have to worry about getting a whole new set.

• Members

View Post

wow, great dialogue going on here after i last logged on late last night! i really appreciate all the interest in this thread.

regarding the neck relief issue; i agree with others here~ i'm going to learn so much about how to address issues like this one, and couldn't be more excited about having them somewhat de-mystified whereas before they may have seemed unsolve-able. very cool.

regarding the tuning key situation; i haven't checked out wyatt's link yet, but it sounds like whatever's on the other end of that link is what we need for this guitar. meandi, is that correct? if so, please let me know and i'll look into buying it and getting it over to you.

regarding the pickups; the P90s were ordered almost two weeks ago from Bryan at BG Pickups. Given what i've heard from other forumites, he should be happy to connect with meandi to give him the spacing measurements and work with meandi in the event there's a variance. i'll PM him about this (and invite him to check out the thread as well).

I couldn't get the link to work when I tried it.

View Post

good thought; i've also never had a problem with this style of tuner. also, these are not original to the guitar. i bought them on a wihm off of eBay at the last minute because they were so cheap (i think i paid $8 for the set). little did i know that one of them was stripped. oh well. it would be great if i could get one new one, so i didn't have to worry about getting a whole new set.

Now we know why they were such a bargin.

• Members

View Post

I couldn't get the link to work when I tried it.

i ended up copy/pasting into the address bar and got to the page that way. thanks for the tip, wyatt!

Now we know why they were such a bargin.

facepalm.gif story of my life... icon_lol.gif

• Members

I have used the method meandi is using to correct the neck a few times with good results. As much as I'm not a fan of Erlewine, he does have good ideas every once in a while wink.gif

Only once have I had to remove the fretboard and do the "clamp and heat" daily for a week or more to correct the issue. Also, I replaced the truss rod with a dual action to help compensate even more. That neck had some really severe relief though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by atrox

View Post

I have used the method meandi is using to correct the neck a few times with good results. As much as I'm not a fan of Erlewine, he does have good ideas every once in a while wink.gif

Only once have I had to remove the fretboard and do the "clamp and heat" daily for a week or more to correct the issue. Also, I replaced the truss rod with a dual action to help compensate even more. That neck had some really severe relief though.

This is the worst one I've encountered.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1491117

Truss rod had been cranked so hard that it crushed the bulkheads in the neck that the truss rod worked against.

Bought it for $100...turned out great...it's one of my sons 2 main gig axes now.

• Members

View Post

This is the worst one I've encountered.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1491117

Truss rod had been cranked so hard that it crushed the bulkheads in the neck that the truss rod worked against.

Bought it for $100...turned out great...it's on of my sons 2 main gig axes now.

Nice. the guitar I had issues with was a Gibson Explorer. Is Gibson/Epi using some green wood or what?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by atrox

View Post

Nice. the guitar I had issues with was a Gibson Explorer. Is Gibson/Epi using some green wood or what?

Yea, that neck was severly warped.

I always suspected that green wood was the problem, due to the way it was warped.

The guitar was 9 years old when I bought it, so plenty of time had passed for it to cure & settle in.

It's been extremely stable since the repair.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEye

View Post

YES! I actually wanted to do that after I graduated college, but fell out of love for a while. Only now I'm back in. I even see that Neal Moser is offering classes now! I'm so wanting to do that...

Then you should do it!

You only live once.

Practical skills are a valuable thing...if you don't you'll always wonder, what if.

Archived