Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

drats~ right out of the gates and she's sidelined for a couple days due to the neck relief issue. i can tell you that i've had her in that 'husk' state for three years (maybe 3.5). who knows how long she sat like that prior to being sold.

... and it looks like i have to buy a new tuning key. anyone got one of these keys they want to spare?

tuning%20key%20db%20rg.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDane

View Post

drats~ right out of the gates and she's sidelined for a couple days due to the neck relief issue. i can tell you that i've had her in that 'husk' state for three years (maybe 3.5). who knows how long she sat like that prior to being sold.

... and it looks like i have to buy a new tuning key. anyone got one of these keys they want to spare?

See if you can get one of the trim washers for under the top nut...one has some rust on it.

Murpheys law...well acquanted with it through the years.

• Members

View Post

Careful. Double rings aren't what is shown in those pics.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt

View Post

Careful. Double rings aren't what is shown in those pics.

whew, thanks~ i had a feeling i was going in the wrong direction. can you please post a pic of the right kind of tuner we're needing?

• Members

View Post

whew, thanks~ i had a feeling i was going in the wrong direction. can you please post a pic of the right kind of tuner we're needing?

Well, meandi has to do that. There are about three dozen different keystone tuners available from several manufacturers in a couple of different keyhole sizes

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt

View Post

Well, meandi has to do that. There are about three dozen different keystone tuners available from several manufacturers in a couple of different keyhole sizes

ok, fair enough. here's hoping meandi can come through with a photo of the tuning key in question.

• Members

View Post

The one I took off the guitar looks very much like the one pictured with a couple of exceptions.

On the housing it says Gibson Deluxe, rather than the curlique shown.

also on the knob, the one I have has only one feature ring cut vs two on the one pictured.

Also they seem to be either right of left side, as I discovered from matching them to the impressions left in the paint.

Needs to be left side.

• Members
This is so good!

A shame it's already being delayed by the 1st snag - before the work even started......
:facepalm:

its stuff like this that makes build/restoration/project threads so damn interesting imho.

Its awesome to have the procedure to fix a neck backbow problem documented with photographs. These threads are some of the greatest moments on HCEG.

• Members
A shame it's already being delayed by the 1st snag - before the work even started......
:facepalm:

Guess it's all in how you look at it.
Ya hope for the best...but It's how you deal with the rest....
Given what I DO know about the guitar's history, the important thing is that I'm experienced enough at this to have thought to check the guitars ability to take a set-up at this point in the project.
I can't even imagine trying to do this with fresh lacquer already applied.

• Members

The one I took off the guitar looks very much like the one pictured with a couple of exceptions.

On the housing it says Gibson Deluxe, rather than the curlique shown.

also on the knob, the one I have has only one feature ring cut vs two on the one pictured.

Also they seem to be either right of left side, as I discovered from matching them to the impressions left in the paint.

Needs to be left side.

I think I have a set of the tuners that would have come on this guitar. They're all metal and say Gibson on the back with a little flower.

• Members

I know, it' like DIY, you think you're just gonna steam the wall paper off and give the walls a fresh paint , and before you know it half the plaster comes off & all the electrical sockets have become loose....

Just got to take your time and deal with things in the order they come.

I'm dissing the bad luckin having to attend the neck 1st thing, but am actually delighted it has a problem, as it throws an opportunity for us to learn how to fix that.

So, here's to it being a problem filled thread!!!! (with a happy ending!) :thu:

Archived