Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Trevisol

View Post

I guess it could be soft maple, or just an odd cut of maple.

grain2.jpg

That's soft maple. . . . could be that I guess.

But that looks like close-grained mahogany to me. In any event, it looks like it's real close in color to the mahog, so we'll get a good match out of it.

Also, the realtor came to show our apartment as i was typing the PM. wink.gif

The neck definitely looks like mahogany. Do we know for sure at this point?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

It takes 5 seconds to look up a Les Paul Deluxe in Wine Red which would make it a '71-'75.

Edit--it could be early 80's (lots of colors offered).

Forget about this guitar for a minute.

When it comes to decent guitars, especially those that are 30+ years old, none of us can claim ownership to them. We are caretakers of them while we are here on earth. All of us will die long before our guitars end up in the dumpster. If we happen to be in possession of an instrument that has some sort of historic value, who are we to {censored} it up before we hand it off to the next worthy player? As Neil Young says (referring to a Martin flattop that used to belong to Hank Williams) "This old guitar, ain't mine to keep..."

In this case, the market value, the missing hardware, and the big hole in the top make most of what I said moot. In excellent condition, this guitar is worth $2600 so it is not particularly collectible. I'm very happy that someone is willing to give it a new life and a home.

[--Ratae--I'm not talking about you here.]

Please don't scoff when you see someone trying to preserve a guitar that might have some historical value. We need those reference points, both good and bad, to provide a living record of what the instruments were like 50 or 60 years ago. And maybe you don't think that Honduran Mahogany and Eastern Maple are a big deal when it comes to Les Pauls; but Les Paul, the late Ted McCarty, Slash, Billy Gibbons, Mike Campbell; Tom Petty and scores of guitarists who are a whole lot better than me DO think it's a big deal.

Doc. not sure where you're getting your 5-second facts on this one, but it's an '81 Deluxe. serial number is stamped 8xxx1xxx (where 'x' represents other digits which are insignificant for dating to the year in this case). i will let meandi confirm once and for all whether the neck is maple or not, but it is my firm belief at this point that it's a maple neck.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

blacktop7.jpg

I'm taking the holiday weekend off from everything, so haven't done any more stripping on the neck.

The wood on the neck is a white wood.

The grain lines on the center laminate, as seen in the above photo, are uniformly straight, looking like quarter sawn maple.

The wood on the side laminate seems to have some figuring in it.

Using my thumbnail, I can press a dent into the body wood... not so on the neck...much harder.

When doing the "dent" test on pieces of mahogany & maple that I have in the shop, I get similar results between the two.

I still believe that this instrument has a maple neck.

• Members

View Post

It takes 5 seconds to look up a Les Paul Deluxe in Wine Red which would make it a '71-'75.

When it comes to decent guitars, especially those that are 30+ years old, none of us can claim ownership to them. We are caretakers of them while we are here on earth. All of us will die long before our guitars end up in the dumpster. If we happen to be in possession of an instrument that has some sort of historic value, who are we to {censored} it up before we hand it off to the next worthy player? As Neil Young says (referring to a Martin flattop that used to belong to Hank Williams) "This old guitar, ain't mine to keep..."

In this case, the market value, the missing hardware, and the big hole in the top make most of what I said moot. In excellent condition, this guitar is worth $2600 so it is not particularly collectible. I'm very happy that someone is willing to give it a new life and a home.

Please don't scoff when you see someone trying to preserve a guitar that might have some historical value. We need those reference points, both good and bad, to provide a living record of what the instruments were like 50 or 60 years ago. And maybe you don't think that Honduran Mahogany and Eastern Maple are a big deal when it comes to Les Pauls; but Les Paul, the late Ted McCarty, Slash, Billy Gibbons, Mike Campbell; Tom Petty and scores of guitarists who are a whole lot better than me DO think it's a big deal.

It's just a {censored}ing guitar, get over it.

• Members

That neck is 100% maple. No doubt about it.

I did a job 2 or 3 summers ago (forgot) where I took a guys old white Studio, stripped it and defretted it, bound the body and neck and did a refret, and did the black top/ natural back and sides. Lovely finish... the guy was very happy.

Some of you guys take this guitars thing WAY too seriously. I mean its not an original 59' or something... come on. It;ll be WAY more valuable to the owner as a fixed up, playable guitar than some restored antique.

AJC

studiomods3.jpg

studiomods1.jpg

studiomods2.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ajcoholic

View Post

I did a job 2 or 3 summers ago (forgot) where I took a guys old white Studio, stripped it and defretted it, bound the body and neck and did a refret, and did the black top/ natural back and sides. Lovely finish... the guy was very happy.

Some of you guys take this guitars thing WAY too seriously. I mean its not an original 59' or something... come on. It;ll be WAY more valuable to the owner as a fixed up, playable guitar than some restored antique.

AJC

studiomods3.jpg

studiomods1.jpg

studiomods2.jpg

ooh, what a tease! that looks great, AJ! I have a feeling, with the P90s and reassembly, this Deluxe has the potential to look even better thumb.gif

• Members

View Post

AJC

studiomods3.jpg

studiomods1.jpg

studiomods2.jpg

Thanks AJ, you're just the guy I was hoping would chime in & verify what I strongly felt.

Inspirational work there.

I assume the neck on it was mahogany, or did you do a tint on maple to achieve the color match?

Although the maple on GreatDane's neck is more of an amber color than some of the maple in my shop, it's still considerably whiter than the mahogany in the body.

Part of how I'm spending the weekend is researching formulas that will allow me to shoot a dye tinted wash coat on the neck to bring it more into sync, color wise, with the body woods.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Trevisol

View Post

Wow, seriously, caretakers while we are here on earth? Is someone having a 3/4 life crisis?

Some people wouldn't know a good Les Paul if it jumped up and bit them in the ass, but great instruments are few and far between.

Even in the 1950's, Ted McCarty and Les Paul recognized that Honduran Mahagany worked best with the Les Paul guitar. McCarty did tests to figure out which combination of woods gave them the optimal sustain and tonal properties. This stuff is no longer available. And, even 50 years ago, McCarty recognized that African mahogany was "junk" as he put it.

The bottom line is that there are a finite number of guitars that have the magic formula of tonewoods. We need to protect them so that 50 years from now they are still making great music by guitarists that have yet to be born.

If some of you would read something besides HCEG, you'd start to appreciate what the pioneers of the modern electric guitar gave us. Their knowledge goes far beyond what you'll find on the internet. Les Paul understands tone. So did Ted McCarty, Seth Lover and all of the other founding fathers of the Les Paul and the ES335.

They provided us with a reference point upon which we still judge tone today. Without those reference points, the electric guitar might be irrelevant and we could all be playing [shutter] keyboards.

So, show a little appreciation of history, and understand that this thing is a lot bigger than your little world of $89 SX's.

And try reading a {censored}ing book once in awhile. I'd recommend:

Lawrence, The Early Years fo the Les Paul Legacy, 1915-1963

Carter, The Gibson Electric Guitar Book

Hembree, Gibson Guitars, Ted McCarty's Golden Era, 1948-1966

Then come back to HCEG and you folks might be able to speak intelligently about Les Paul guitars--rather than taking a cheap shot at someone who says something to which you disagree like you were in 2nd grade.

• Members

We should all send the person who owns this guitar a check for $100.00, as we are all responsible for the care and well being of this guitar.

Maybe President Obama can raise our taxes and start a program to care for the guitars of America.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

We should all send the person who owns this guitar a check for $100.00, as we are all responsible for the care and well being of this guitar.

Maybe President Obama can raise our taxes and start a program to care for the guitars of America.

Yall can send them there checks to me while it's in my care...icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Wow. You are an extremely irritating twat.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Bass

View Post

Anything with P90's = better.

That guitar above with P90's = AWESOME! thumb.gif

Black covers would look better than creme though. idn_smilie.gif

No. They won't.

• Members

View Post

Some people wouldn't know a good Les Paul if it jumped up and bit them in the ass, but great instruments are few and far between.

Even in the 1950's, Ted McCarty and Les Paul recognized that Honduran Mahagany worked best with the Les Paul guitar. McCarty did tests to figure out which combination of woods gave them the optimal sustain and tonal properties. This stuff is no longer available. And, even 50 years ago, McCarty recognized that African mahogany was "junk" as he put it.

The bottom line is that there are a finite number of guitars that have the magic formula of tonewoods. We need to protect them so that 50 years from now they are still making great music by guitarists that have yet to be born.

If some of you would read something besides HCEG, you'd start to appreciate what the pioneers of the modern electric guitar gave us. Their knowledge goes far beyond what you'll find on the internet. Les Paul understands tone. So did Ted McCarty, Seth Lover and all of the other founding fathers of the Les Paul and the ES335.

They provided us with a reference point upon which we still judge tone today. Without those reference points, the electric guitar might be irrelevant and we could all be playing [shutter] keyboards.

So, show a little appreciation of history, and understand that this thing is a lot bigger than your little world of $89 SX's.

Then come back to HCEG and you folks might be able to speak intelligently about Les Paul guitars--rather than taking a cheap shot at someone who says something to which you disagree like you were in 2nd grade.

Doc,

I understand you're feeling attacked. You could argue that your sanctimonious comments were taken out of context...but really it all started because your sanctimonious comments were GIVEN out of context.

The guitar in question was "compromised" (i.e. jacked up) when it was 'Kahlerized" 80's style. I believe even you have acknowledged that. The fact that you continue to defend your sanctimony in this thread misleads your attackers into believing you are discrediting this project...or at the very least soiling/highjacking the thread. You're okay with this project, right?

Is there really any need to throw a fit and belittle everyone? Based on the beginning, this has the makings of a memorable thread. Do you really want to play antagonist throughout?

• Members

View Post

Whoa, back up, Doc. The point of this thread is to salvage a guitar that has already been butchered. Just because you don't agree with the method chosen doesn't change the ultimate goal - to preserve and use a classic guitar.

• Members

View Post

Its crap like this that makes me come here maybe once a month at most now. boring.gif

I am sure Meandi will make this poor, abused LP into a GREAT instrument.

Meandi, the studio I worked on has a mahog neck. From your photo with the scraped finish I can ID that ad definitely, 100% maple. No doubts. Remember I am a pro woodworker and ID woods daily, its my job!

Carry on with the restoration - like I said based on your work it will be great.

AJC

• Members

View Post

Its crap like this that makes me come here maybe once a month at most now. boring.gif

I am sure Meandi will make this poor, abused LP into a GREAT instrument.

Meandi, the studio I worked on has a mahog neck. From your photo with the scraped finish I can ID that ad definitely, 100% maple. No doubts. Remember I am a pro woodworker and ID woods daily, its my job!

Carry on with the restoration - like I said based on your work it will be great.

AJC

I have already acknowledged all of that. The problem is that some people here would rather engage in name calling than to have an intelligent conversation about guitars. If you're ignorant about a topic, it's easier to just call someone a twat rather than to rebut a point.

This in NOT a restoration project. It's a refinish and repair project. Let's be straight on at least that point.

• Members

View Post

This in NOT a restoration project. It's a refinish and repair project. Let's be straight on at least that point.

If we're going to split semantic hairs, I don't believe anything was broken on this guitar. Therefore I'd classify it as restoration and refinish. cop.gif

And for someone who professes his LOVE for guitars as much as you do, I'd expect a higher level of appreciation for what is happening here.

Archived