Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Restoration Project- HCEG Black Top!

GreatDane

• Members

I've encountered this debate when I was doing cars a couple of times.

One guy wants his 32 coupe restored as accurately as possible, feels that anything less is heresy & usually trys to proselyte others to his point of view .

Another wants to run his fenderless, chop the top, independant suspension, V8 power & air conditioning & feels that the other guy should lighten up & get a life.

I've built them both ways, with my own criteria being only that the work was well done & that the owner was satisfied with the results.

That's my approach to this project, as well.

I'll leave the "sacred object" debate to others, because it's as subjective as what kind of music one likes to listen to or play.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have been following this since the beginning- I am so glad the finish is coming off as well as it is... that is going to be sweet!

I know you probably did not need further confirmation, but that is definitely a maple neck, which is only going to make it look even better with the refin.

I don't think I have ever been as excited about a thread... this is going to ROCK!

• Members

Meandi, I'm eagerly waiting to see your work.

I've looked at your archtop thread, andknow that delights await.

thumb.gif

(we really need a drooling smiley here. Come on, how are we meant to represent the true expression of our feelings in such threads, without a drooling smiley???? This is a ridiculous state of affair.)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul Lover

View Post

Meandi, I'm eagerly waiting to see your work.

I've looked at your archtop thread, andknow that delights await.

thumb.gif

(we really need a drooling smiley here. Come on, how are we meant to represent the true expression of our feelings in such threads, without a drooling smiley???? This is a ridiculous state of affair.)

Thanks for the compliment.

I guess this love.gif is about as close to the drool we've got...smile.gif

• Members

View Post

Yeah, but love.gif does not quite transfer the homerish frozen dreamy stupidity that a drooling smiley would...

Sob.....

Anyhow, enough typing Meandi, now get to work!!!!!!!

wink.gif

I am working...the 'puter is a couple of rooms from the shop & prompts me via email when things are happenin here.cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by docjeffrey

View Post

I haven't read all of the responses, but that guitar is worthy of a good craftsman like you'd find through Dan Erlewine, George Gruhn, or Elderly. The original finish should be preserved (if that's the original) at all costs. Don't let someone {censored} it up with a rattle can or a {censored}ty half assed amateurish job. It may have more holes than it takes to fill the Albert Hall, but it's still an old Les Paul made in Kalamazoo with old wood--probably Honduran Mahogany and Michigan Maple--possibly Brazilian Rosewood.

Try to preserve as much as you can. Just say no to a complete refin.

Sorry to be a dick.

woah, not honduran mahogany AND michigan maple!!

{censored}s sake, it's a piece a wood and afterwards its gonna look ace, great choices on colour and hardware....and repairer/restorer for that matter!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

I am working...the 'puter is a couple of rooms from the shop & prompts me via email when things are happenin here.cool.gif

That's OK then! cop.gif (sorry, I do like to throw abusive comments every now and then....facepalm.gif)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

View Post

This do?drooling-6.gif or drooling-5.gif guess this is more Homerishdrooling-3.gif, but my favourite would bedrooling-2.gif

Yeap that last 2 are what I'm talking about!!!!! thumb.gif

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by 211dave112

View Post

woah, not honduran mahogany AND michigan maple!!

{censored}s sake, it's a piece a wood and afterwards its gonna look ace, great choices on colour and hardware....and repairer/restorer for that matter!

I don't see anywhere that gives a date so we don't even know if it's a Kalamazoo guitar, and the worst Deluxes were built at Kalamazoo anyway, eg the pancake bodies with 6-8 piece tops, Doc's been at the corks againrolleyes.gif

• Members

i have one in this color ... fwiw mine is a pre-pancake. one piece top. back in the early 80s, i went to the local guitar guy wanting the standard DeMarzio destruction - route out the pickups and put a couple of super distortions in it. smile.gif

he brought it in the back for 20 minutes and brought it back out. pointed to the wall filled with standards and customs and said, i'll trade - you take your pick of those. i'll put dimarzios in any one too. rolleyes.gif

i still have mine. wave.gif

this one looks like it could use the color change/upgrade - if mine looked like that it would be black with the two tone dimarzios in a heartbeat. love.gif

• Members

View Post

That's OK then! cop.gif (sorry, I do like to throw abusive comments every now and then....facepalm.gif)

No offense taken, we're cool.

View Post

I don't see anywhere that gives a date so we don't even know if it's a Kalamazoo guitar, and the worst Deluxes were built at Kalamazoo anyway, eg the pancake bodies with 6-8 piece tops, Doc's been at the corks againrolleyes.gif

I was thinking GreatDane mentioned that it's an '81.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

No offence taken, we're cool.

I was thinking GreatDane mentioned that it's an '81.

In that case it's a Nashville guitar, and most certainly the only thing Brazilian about it is a few stray pubes from a past owners bitch waxing.

Early 80s Deluxes are selling in mint condition for around 15-1700.

• Members

View Post

In that case it's a Nashville guitar, and most certainly the only thing Brazilian about it is a few stray pubes from a past owners bitch waxing.

icon_lol.gif EPIC...sig worthy actually. I'd do it except I have a rule against stray pubes in my signature. icon_lol.gif

• Members

i've got the oxblood thing covered already~ this is going to be beautiful when she's done.

for those of you who missed it, this is a '81 Deluxe; (poorly) routed for a kahler and having the scars from a locking nut as well. She does have a solid mahogany body (no Norlin sandwich here) and three-piece maple neck. according to a few resources, gibson dropped the sandwich bodies in the very late '70s/very early 80s, but was slower to bring back the mahogany necks, so this is one of relatively few Deluxes with the sandwich and with a maple neck. fun, fun.

Deluxes are doing pretty well on the used market, but i have zero intent to sell once she's done. she's going to be with me as my 'special girl'.

• Members

View Post

It takes 5 seconds to look up a Les Paul Deluxe in Wine Red which would make it a '71-'75.

Edit--it could be early 80's (lots of colors offered).

Forget about this guitar for a minute.

When it comes to decent guitars, especially those that are 30+ years old, none of us can claim ownership to them. We are caretakers of them while we are here on earth. All of us will die long before our guitars end up in the dumpster. If we happen to be in possession of an instrument that has some sort of historic value, who are we to {censored} it up before we hand it off to the next worthy player? As Neil Young says (referring to a Martin flattop that used to belong to Hank Williams) "This old guitar, ain't mine to keep..."

In this case, the market value, the missing hardware, and the big hole in the top make most of what I said moot. In excellent condition, this guitar is worth $2600 so it is not particularly collectible. I'm very happy that someone is willing to give it a new life and a home.

[--Ratae--I'm not talking about you here.]

Please don't scoff when you see someone trying to preserve a guitar that might have some historical value. We need those reference points, both good and bad, to provide a living record of what the instruments were like 50 or 60 years ago. And maybe you don't think that Honduran Mahogany and Eastern Maple are a big deal when it comes to Les Pauls; but Les Paul, the late Ted McCarty, Slash, Billy Gibbons, Mike Campbell; Tom Petty and scores of guitarists who are a whole lot better than me DO think it's a big deal.

Archived