The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by f3nr15 View Post
Hey Yamaholics;

Bec I've got too much time on my hands, I spent some time expanding the list of Yamaha Electric Guitars on Wikipedia's list of Yamaha Products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_products

The list is by no means complete, so check out the entries and add your axe if it's not yet listed.

No acoustic guitars? eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ruinthere View Post
Actually w is the older series, with Wilkinson Trem, v is the new ones with Yamaha own vintage trem

I also found out higher models have wider nut 43mm than lower ones with 41mm
I want a 812w too!
The necks seem to be about the same. The main differences between the 812W and 812V are pickups (V has SD JB in bridge, W has a SD '59 Model), trem, push/push bridge pickup coil split on the 812V's tone pot, colors and slightly different body shapes. The W is a bit rounder whereas the V has sharper edges and kind of a fake binding look.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by f3nr15 View Post
Hey Yamaholics;

Bec I've got too much time on my hands, I spent some time expanding the list of Yamaha Electric Guitars on Wikipedia's list of Yamaha Products:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_products

The list is by no means complete, so check out the entries and add your axe if it's not yet listed.
They forgot the entire sbg series(sbg200,sbg2000 etc)

• Members

I made another wood pickguard this one is made from curly maple.
Changed the bridge and neck pickups to Anico2 HB. The neck used to have a single in it. also added an additional switch for splitting the HBs into singles, plus the other switches to get over 17 tones. Put a 12 position rotary tone switch with 11 caps and a bypass position. I've had lots of fun playing with the setup.

17 GUITAR PICKUP COMBINATIONS

NECK ONLY
MIDDLE ONLY
BRIDGE ONLY
NECK & MIDDLE IN PARALLEL
NECK & BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
MIDDLE & BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK & MIDDLE IN SERIES
NECK & BRIDGE IN SERIES
MIDDLE & BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SER/ PARA
NECK OOP & BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK OOP & BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK OPP, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK OOP, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK OOP, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SER/ PARA
Plus neck and bridge coil splitting
OOP= OUT OF PHASE

guitar1.jpg

guitar2.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by biggy boy View Post
I made another wood pickguard this one is made from curly maple.
Changed the bridge and neck pickups to Anico2 HB. The neck used to have a single in it. also added an additional switch for splitting the HBs into singles, plus the other switches to get over 17 tones. Put a 12 position rotary tone switch with 11 caps and a bypass position. I've had lots of fun playing with the setup.

17 GUITAR PICKUP COMBINATIONS

NECK ONLY
MIDDLE ONLY
BRIDGE ONLY
NECK & MIDDLE IN PARALLEL
NECK & BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
MIDDLE & BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK & MIDDLE IN SERIES
NECK & BRIDGE IN SERIES
MIDDLE & BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SER/ PARA
NECK OOP & BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK OOP & BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK OPP, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN PARALLEL
NECK OOP, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SERIES
NECK OOP, MIDDLE, BRIDGE IN SER/ PARA
Plus neck and bridge coil splitting
OOP= OUT OF PHASE

guitar1.jpg

guitar2.jpg
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's really something! Beautiful and very special. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jkater

View Post

Is this the same guitar? The color seems so different in the two pics.

those came in 3 colors limited to 30 guitars in each color. I have the brown burst.....looks even better in person. Basically the same as the USA IIs but with Duncan single coils instead of the vintage rails...and the pickguards of course. beautiful guitars.

• Members

Here is my entry. It's a new AES920. The photo is a pic from the dealer before I bought it. It is heavy (I like that) and it plays and sounds great. I am still getting over dinging the top a few weeks ago! At least now I can play it hard without worrying!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jkater View Post
No acoustic guitars? eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
O.K., well if acoustics are allowed, I will have to say I am a HUGE Yamaha guiter lover.

Here is my custom shop Yamaha Compass Series Custom Shop guitar.

The Sound is increadible.
The playability is increadible.
The craftsmanship is increadible.
The looks are stunning.

I realize all these things are subjective, but this might be one of the best put together musical instruments I have ever owned.

At around 1100.00 new with case in about 1999-2000, when I bought it, it has held up perfectly and has probably held close to every dime worth of its value.

These pics are not the greatest, but I will edit them with some better ones that do it more justice when I get back.

It is called their "Carribean Motif" and they did quite a few different motif versions of the compass, including, an egyption styling one with hyroglyphics, etc, a southwestrn U.S. style Am. Indian flavored one, etc etc.

They are all stunning.
A buddy of mine has the egyption one.

Anyway, This one has a solid spruce top with excellent tight grain,
Mahogany neck with an extremely comfortable v shape
Ebony fingerboard with abalone inlays featuring Palmtrees, starfish, Dolphin, etc.
Highly flamed maple sides and Back with cream binding on the neck, body, and headstock.

It has an internal mic as well as a picup, that you can blend, and some on board E.Q.( not unlike most acousic electrics these days), but this guitar simply sounds amazing either plugged in or unplugged.

It has gold hardware and
an adjustable ebony bridge,
and a "carribean style" rosette made out of various woods to give a palmleaf marquetry feel.

Everything about this guitar is perfect, and it pretty much is my favorite musical instrument that I own.

Yamaha made some less expensive guitars in the compass line, although they werent made in the custom shop and were missing some of the features like the floating bridge.

The other models Retailed new for around 6 or 7 hundred dollars, and still were exceptional instruments for the money.

It seems to me, that these are hard to find used which must mean that everyone who bought them is really holding on to them.

I sure LOVE mine.

I'm a big fan of other Yamaha products such as their older rackmount E.Q.s, and of course, they make some of the best pianos in the business.

SS850096.jpg

SS850095.jpg

SS850094.jpg

SS850097.jpg

SS850099.jpg

Here is my buddies Yamaha Compas Series Custom Shop acoustic with the egyption motif

013.jpg

I really wish I would have taken picture of the back and sides of his guitar because it has some absolutely stunning and crazily figured mahogany, or sapeele, or some similar colored wood( im not sure what species), and it is an increadible work of art.

Archived