The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by f3nr15 View Post
...This one's an SAS-1500...

mypic7.jpg
Whilst poking around on Google, was interested to note that the pygmy-bodied SAS-1500 had a predecessor, the SAS-II; from what I can make out, it was built from ~ 1988-91:

sas_long111.jpg

sas_head1.jpg

The headstock looks minaturised, too, although I can't quite decide if the neck is a standard size.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by zenbu View Post
yeah used SAS-IIs show up on the Japanese web regularly.
I`ve been wondering about that model - there is one (exactly like the blue one a couple of posts up) that I`ve been tempted by every 4-5 months here in town.

For 4 years now, with startling regularity, the same guitar turns up at a one local recycle shop or other. I know it`s the same guitar because of a couple of dings in the headstock, and an odd wear pattern on the tailpiece.

It`s just recently come up for sale at the local Hard-Off. Again. freak.gif

Perhaps it`s haunted or something.

• Members
yeah used SAS-IIs show up on the Japanese web regularly.
Quote Originally Posted by aclarke View Post
...there is one... that I`ve been tempted by every 4-5 months here in town... with startling regularity, the same guitar turns up at a one local recycle shop or other... Perhaps it`s haunted or something.
Here's the webpage that the SAS-II pics are from:

http://www.hat.hi-ho.ne.jp/luke99/sas_long111.jpg

In Japanese, obviously.

The Google internet translator isn't very good, but I think the owner is saying something about the guitar being not so easy to play, perhaps an overly high string action?

• Members
I`ve been wondering about that model - there is one (exactly like the blue one a couple of posts up) that I`ve been tempted by every 4-5 months here in town.

For 4 years now, with startling regularity, the same guitar turns up at a one local recycle shop or other. I know it`s the same guitar because of a couple of dings in the headstock, and an odd wear pattern on the tailpiece.

It`s just recently come up for sale at the local Hard-Off. Again. freak.gif

Perhaps it`s haunted or something.
it`s the guitar gods tryin` to tell you something. maybe you have to start channeling.
Why don`t you play that thing and see how it feels?

• Members
it`s the guitar gods tryin` to tell you something. maybe you have to start channeling.
When the guitar gods decide to grant me a bigger apartment, I`ll start taking their advice mad.gif

Seriously, I`ve been trying to save cash for a new car in the spring, and I keep getting these tempting offers floating by...... I think I`m going to bite the bullet and put everything (saving the tele and the yammie 150) on yahoo auctions in January. Clean out, start again...

• Members
Afterthought:

With all the fanfare surrounding the recently released ES-339, it's kinda cool to realise that Yamaha was producing minature semi-hollowbodies way back in 1988.

I wonder if Gibson perhaps even drew some of their inspiration for the CS-336/356 from these early Yammies? tongue.gif

• Members
Afterthought:

With all the fanfare surrounding the recently released ES-339, it's kinda cool to realise that Yamaha was producing minature semi-hollowbodies way back in 1988.

I wonder if Gibson perhaps even drew some of their inspiration for the CS-336/356 from these early Yammies? tongue.gif
I`ve often wondered about that. I know Ibanez also did a run of similar sized semis in the early 80s as part of the Artist line. Gibson`s current 339/336/356 dates back to the late 80`s, I think... I`d be interested to know which one is the original.

• Members

we just set up for selling on Yahoo Japan...plans are to sell off a bunch of guitars and other stuff we won`t take, and head back to Canada for good...I do believe I`ve reached my saturation point. I don`t just wanna leave...I NEED to leave.

• Members
we just set up for selling on Yahoo Japan...plans are to sell off a bunch of guitars and other stuff we won`t take, and head back to Canada for good...I do believe I`ve reached my saturation point. I don`t just wanna leave...I NEED to leave.
Yeah, I`m starting to understand that. I`m heading home for Christmas (first one in 5 years, IIRC... maybe 6) and unless I get some real inspiration in the new year, I`m thinking I`ll be out of here in another year. Not Canada though - I`ve honestly got no desire to live there again. Australia looks promising, as does NZ, now that they have the Orcs under control.

Make sure you put your Yahoo auction stuff in the spam thread!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Small Stone View Post
And you are telling us that without even posting a pic??? mad.gif
poke.gif
I lost track of this thread, sorry

I know I can't quit buying guitars, can't stop looking for the next shot of tonal adrenaline, but if I had to stop, had to choose just one guitar--period--it would be one of my Yamaha 302s Pacificas.

DCP_0940-1.jpg

DCP_0939.jpg

• Members
Yeah, I`m starting to understand that. I`m heading home for Christmas (first one in 5 years, IIRC... maybe 6) and unless I get some real inspiration in the new year, I`m thinking I`ll be out of here in another year. Not Canada though - I`ve honestly got no desire to live there again. Australia looks promising, as does NZ, now that they have the Orcs under control.

Make sure you put your Yahoo auction stuff in the spam thread!

yeah me too... 6 years this Christmas. Next time I go home it`s for good. Probably not Quebec...I`m just so tired of all the seperatist crap...one of the coasts more than likely...kinda gotten used to the ocean. Canada is my home and thats where I wanna be, it ain`t perfect but no place is I guess.
Australia eh...never met an Aussie I didn`t like, and I`ve met lots here. Genuinely nice folks...but heres a story a co-worker from Melbourne told me...
He was drinking with a friend and they decided to hit another bar. As they left his friend noticed he`d left his jacket inside, so as he went back to get it my co-worker said he`d wait on a park bench across the street. Co-worker dozed off and awoke to find he`s was on fire...seems some kids set him clothes on fire, burned one side of his torso ...showed me... and said he has to be careful on hots days `cause he can`t perspire properly now and is at risk for overheating his body. Scared the bejesus outta me.
Perth looks like a gorgeous place, wouldn`t mind that but i`d only get homesick again someday, so I want to get back to what I know. Will miss my brother in laws 3 little daughters though...so cute, problem is...they grow up and wanna kill their parents with baseball bats.
New Zealand would be outstanding...THE place for outdoor living. You sure about the orc thing?

• Members
Afterthought:

I doubt it. In the case of the 356, it's a very fine custom shop guitar with, if I am not mistaken, a hollowed out mahogany back where the sides, back and centerblock are of one piece eek.gif. Very fine stuff. I named the SAS-1500 as a dream guitar because the fantastic SA's neck and smaller body size coupled with the fine craftmanship of the top Yamahas don't leave much to be desired. I just know I would love that guitar. But the custom shop Gibson 356 is a dream of another nature : I'll never have the money to buy an instrument like that. Sure would love to...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zenbu

View Post

You hit that point then. I am the opposite I really miss Japan.

• Members

after 14+ years, I wanna get back to be among my own...tired of being stared at, pointed at, called scary or gaijin... and it`s going be strange having someone actually sit next to me on the train or subway back home.
Might`ve been different had I lived in one of the big cities...probably wouldn`t mind Sapporo...but I`ve had enough of Sendai. Wasn`t home when my dad passed, wasn`t home when my mom was diagnosed with alzheimers which she`s still dealing with and I miss family and friends.
I will miss that safe feeling walking the streets late at night but then, things are changing here too and the plan is to try to do the same thing I`m doing here back home...teach English but to homestayers. Certainly has been interesting and I wouldn`t change the experience for anything, everybody should see Japan at least once in their life. Nice place to visit.....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
I lost track of this thread, sorry

I know I can't quit buying guitars, can't stop looking for the next shot of tonal adrenaline, but if I had to stop, had to choose just one guitar--period--it would be one of my Yamaha 302s Pacificas.

DCP_0940-1.jpg

DCP_0939.jpg
Well you showed me yours, I'll show you mine (even though I probably already did):

pacifica3.jpg

Those are fine! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Small Stone View Post
Well you showed me yours, I'll show you mine (even though I probably already did):

pacifica3.jpg

Those are fine! thumb.gif
You've got a great looking guitar.
Hey, do you happen to know any of the specs on the bridge pickups: manufacturer, ceramic vs alnico, impedance?
It's my favorite bridge pickup. I suspect they're anti-boutique, perhaps ceramic, but I would love to be able to buy a similar pickup to put in another guitar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vicknott View Post
Hi guys ! I read somwhere that the new Pacificas 812 (W) have thicker necks than the old ones (V). What do you know about that ? Specs, if possible...
Actually w is the older series, with Wilkinson Trem, v is the new ones with Yamaha own vintage trem

I also found out higher models have wider nut 43mm than lower ones with 41mm
I want a 812w too!

• Members

812w
Body Select Alder/Maple Veneer
Neck Maple
Fretboard Rosewood
Pickups Seymour Duncan 2 single coil; 1 humbucker
Tuners Sperzel
Hardware Chrome satin
Controls 5-position pickup selecter; master volume; master tone
Frets 22
Bridge Wilkinson VS100 "Floating Style"
Scale 25-1/2"

812v

Construction Bolt-on
Scale Length 25 1/2" = 648mm
Fingerboard Rosewood
Radius 13 3/4" = 350mm
Frets 22
Body Flamed Maple/Alder
Neck Maple
Bridge Yamaha Tremolo
Pickups Seymour Duncan SSL-1 X 2, Seymour Duncan JB X 1
Pickup Switch 5-Position
Controls Master Volume, Master Tone
Colors Old Violin Sunburst, Translucent Blue, Translucent Dark Red

• Members
in the 1999 catalog the p`ups are listed as...GS-F3GC and GS-F3BO, they don`t say what type of magnets. Some have rosewood fingerboards while others have bubinga.
Thank you very much for that info.
I'm going to see if I can find anything else out, now that I have the model numbers.
Again, thanks.

Archived