The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Musicscotty

View Post

Here's a question for the Yammy experts.

I came across a Yamaha Superstrat style guitar today. It has an ash body (translucent amber/red finish) and an ebony fretboard, with a bolt on neck. The 4 bolts are staggered.

The guitar has 2 humbuckers and 6 inline tuners. The Yamaha logo on the headstock was the large letter style.

I was only in the shop for 2 mins and had to run out as I was illegally parked, so I didn't get a chance to see what the model number was.

It wasn't an RGX or Pacifica series.

Anyone familiar with this one?

Floyd Rose? Wilkinson?

• Members

View Post

I came across a Yamaha Superstrat style guitar today. It has an ash body (translucent amber/red finish) and an ebony fretboard, with a bolt on neck. The 4 bolts are staggered.

The guitar has 2 humbuckers and 6 inline tuners. The Yamaha logo on the headstock was the large letter style.

I was only in the shop for 2 mins and had to run out as I was illegally parked, so I didn't get a chance to see what the model number was.

As far as I remember, Yamaha used 2 types of large headstock lettering on some of their guitars in the 80's. The SE models, which are strat like guitars, and had the Yamama logo in fairly large block letters. The early RGX models, had a huge Yamaha logo on the headstock ( took up most of the headstock area, with the lettering slanted from left to right. The only Yamaha rock type guitars that I ever saw with an ebony board were the RGX customs and the Pacifica 14121421's. Yamaha aren't big on using ebony or maple.

How big was the lettering ?. Was it big but not too unubtusive, or was it huge ?. Also did you notice if it had a vibrato fitted ?. If so, was it a standard strat type, or a Floyd Rose Type ?.

wave.gif

• Members

Regarding the Yamaha superstrat, I asked about, I made a return visit to the store....

It's a Yamaha YG-1221.

It looks like this (same colour), although this isn't the actual guitar and has no Roland synth attached.

YAMAHA.jpg

This is it in another colour,

07161147_487d61583278e.jpg

A serial number check indicates it was built in a year ending in 1. My guess is 1991, but I don't know if it was made in Japan or elsewhere?

The body is described as 'light ash', although I'm not sure what exactly this will be.

It plays very well and appears to have a lot of sustain and a neck that is very similar to the Ibanez wizard type. It has a maple neck and ebony fretboard.

There is very little on the net about this model and it has an asking price of

• Members

View Post

It might be from the RGZ series. I had an RGZ621 that was set up like that, H/S/H config, RMII locking trem, really a good guitar. It was built to compete with the Ibby RG series.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mudder1310

View Post

It might be from the RGZ series. I had an RGZ621 that was set up like that, H/S/H config, RMII locking trem, really a good guitar. It was built to compete with the Ibby RG series.

Thanks for that Mudder, but I got the model number.

New info is in the post above yours.

• Members

View Post

Regarding the Yamaha superstrat, I asked about, I made a return visit to the store....

It's a Yamaha YG-1221.

It looks like this (same colour), although this isn't the actual guitar and has no Roland synth attached.

YAMAHA.jpg

This is it in another colour,

07161147_487d61583278e.jpg

A serial number check indicates it was built in a year ending in 1. My guess is 1991, but I don't know if it was made in Japan or elsewhere?

The body is described as 'light ash', although I'm not sure what exactly this will be.

It plays very well and appears to have a lot of sustain and a neck that is very similar to the Ibanez wizard type. It has a maple neck and ebony fretboard.

There is very little on the net about this model and it has an asking price of

• Members

I think the cult status depends on which country we`re speaking of. They seem to do well in this Japanese city. I see a lot of entry level acoustics sold in local shops, but the 20 somethings seem to gravitate toward the US big two, then once players get older...and it seems wiser... many return to the Yamaha fold, might just be baby boomers feeling nostalgic for their first guitars, might be they finally realize just how good high end Yamahas are or it could be pride in a home grown product, not sure, but Yamaha guitars are not uncommon on TV shows here among players of a certain age. They sure don`t seem to sell as many guitars as Gibson does in the city I live in though. There are many used Yamahas on line in Japan and older, rarer ones have become collectable. I know this...I won`t be selling any of mine anytime soon.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EdMan57

View Post

...19 days and counting.Is there a decent reason why a guitar would be held in Customs for so long?

confused.gif

Ed

Did you buy it new or used, there is one locally sitting in a shop for over a year,

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...egory_rn=45279

They are asking $400, I'm sure they can lower it more and free shipping.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ruinthere

View Post

Did you buy it new or used, there is one locally sitting in a shop for over a year,

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...egory_rn=45279

They are asking $400, I'm sure they can lower it more and free shipping.

That's funny,as my previous Google searches never brought up that 612v at Interstate Music.

confused.gif

Anyways,I bought it used off Ebay from a guy in Canada that sells lots of really nice guitars,especially lightly used Yamahas.His Ebay feedback is perfect,as well.Btw,I paid $299 CND plus $60 CND for shipping.

Ed

• Members

View Post

...19 days and counting.Is there a decent reason why a guitar would be held in Customs for so long?

confused.gif

Ed

Have you tried contacting the seller, to see if they could trace it at their end somehow?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cBc

View Post

Have you tried contacting the seller, to see if they could trace it at their end somehow?

Yeah,I sent an email this afternoon.He has seemed like a stand up guy,so far.But the reality of it all is that he probably can't do much from his end,as the guitar has supposedly pass into US Customs last week.My contacting the USPS resulted in the old "we really don't know where it is at this time,but don't worry,it will get to you eventually" line.

Again,my greatest concern is the guitar being exposed [no case,only gigbag] to the august heat while in transit.

Ed

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zenbu

View Post

so it`s a Pacifica and not a YG then...musta got lost among all the pics. I`ll start paying attention from this point on.

It's Edman that is waiting on his Pacififica 612v to arrive.

I'm considering buying a YG-1221.

I don't suppose you still see many YG series in Japan?

• Members

View Post

Yeah,I sent an email this afternoon.He has seemed like a stand up guy,so far.But the reality of it all is that he probably can't do much from his end,as the guitar has supposedly pass into US Customs last week.My contacting the USPS resulted in the old "we really don't know where it is at this time,but don't worry,it will get to you eventually" line.

Again,my greatest concern is the guitar being exposed [no case,only gigbag] to the august heat while in transit.

Ed

That's really a drag. I had something like that once with a guitar shipped from France to Germany. It was a month long before it finally arrive and I had paid a big price for the transport. I tried to get compensation for the delay but it didn't work. The guitar was ok, though. Good luck!

• Members

A question for Mudder1310 and fellow SL800S owners. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I've just got an SL800S. It's got 10s on it at the moment and they're OK but I normally use 11s on my Teles and semiacoustics. This is my first 'LP' style guitar and I'm itching to go to 11s but I'm wondering what is the norm/consensus (as if such a thing exists around here!).

• Members

I hold my hands up, I do not have an SL800. I did, however, change to 11s on my AES820 and it made a hell of a difference- more resonant throughout the guitar, beefier/thicker tone, a definite improvement in sound overall, and not noticeably more difficult to play than with 10s. Just my two penn'orth

• Members

Nothing personal here...but it drives me nuts when people call a Pacifica a Pacifica...WHY? Because PACIFICA is an entire LINE of Yamahas. Most people use it alone to describe a 112, but that is wrong. I have owned many different Pacificas , some cheap...some expensive (all good or great). Just wanted to point out that it is a LINE. On EBAY, you see many listed only as Pacificas. Many people end up buying an 012 thinking it's a 112. Big difference. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JTEES4

View Post

Nothing personal here...but it drives me nuts when people call a Pacifica a Pacifica...WHY? Because PACIFICA is an entire LINE of Yamahas. Most people use it alone to describe a 112, but that is wrong. I have owned many different Pacificas , some cheap...some expensive (all good or great). Just wanted to point out that it is a LINE. On EBAY, you see many listed only as Pacificas. Many people end up buying an 012 thinking it's a 112. Big difference. facepalm.gif

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

So true. worth a thread of its own. They range in price from like $159 all the way up to a couple thousands bucks...

• Members

wouldn`t say it drives me nuts but what are ya gonna do...the web is full of similar situations...can`t tell you how many times I`ve posted about Japanese Fenders not called reissues here, not listed that way in catalogs I own nor spoken of that way by the natives...and yet, every week there are threads written by folks who want info on their Fender Japan reissue, stuff just takes on a life of it`s own on the web.

By the way...I own a Pacifica USA II and one of their 10th anniversary Pacificas which I won`t post pics of again as they are already out there somewhere...both top of the lines and as good as it gets. It`s pretty simple rerally... if it doesn`t say Pacifica on the headstock then, it ain`t.

Archived