• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by tincob View Post
I have only one now, SBG1200

CIMG0974.jpg
love.giflove.giflove.giflove.giflove.gif

What a BEAUTIFUL guitar! The three-piece top is the real thing (or put differently, the real thing had a three-piece top). When Yamaha's put their incredible brain to design the SG2000, they had the top made of three pieces with the middle piece running differently. There was a precise reason for this and it was certainly not to use bits of smaller wood... Here is an add from the time where you can clearly see the three pieces of the top:

SG2000ad.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tincob View Post
...for a SA2200 that's being offered for $750. Strats are dime-a-dozen but I think that's a good price for a 2200.

It would take time to sell the two guitars and the SA2200 might have already been sold...
They COST twice as much and are WORTH three times as much (if you see what I mean) but, of course it's also a question of the conditions it's in. Is it in good shape? If you don't grab it, it'll be gone in no time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LaXu View Post
SA-1200S

yamaha_sa-1200s-05.jpg
Solid spruce top SA's are rare and very special guitars. There was a guy here some time ago who had an SA-2000S and was asking us if he could get $1000 for it! eek.giffreak.gifeek.gif He got gently and respectfully bombarded by forumites telling him to hold on to it at any price.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bigfatmonkeyboy View Post
I know biggrin.gif

but the pacificas are all I can get hold of.
Ohhh...haha...I know.

I first had a guitar exactly like this about 1985. I got it for my 9th birthday I think. It was stolen about a year later. I kept an eye out for years for another and over the years only saw about 3 others...2 were trashed, one was an ugly reddish color...this one came up on ebay back in January this year. Just in time for my 31st birthday, so I snagged itthumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by adlo76 View Post
Ohhh...haha...I know.

I first had a guitar exactly like this about 1985. I got it for my 9th birthday I think. It was stolen about a year later. I kept an eye out for years for another and over the years only saw about 3 others...2 were trashed, one was an ugly reddish color...this one came up on ebay back in January this year. Just in time for my 31st birthday, so I snagged itthumb.gif
i hope you don't mean this "ugly red color"!!! i thought the finish on this guitar was so beaut i just had to own it! biggrin.gif

yampac604wnr5.jpg

hard to see in the pic, but the finish isn't the same opaqueness the whole way through and you can see the yummy woodgrain running through it especially in the middle love.gif

*i loves my yammie!*

• Members

Here's mine.....
An sbg200 and it's big brother sbg2000. The 2000 came in it's original case with case candy! Both are early to mid 80's if I'm not mistaken
The 200 has had a minitoggle added to split the pickups. The 2000 has push push tone controls to split.

8^)
Wade

Yamahas_lineup.jpg

• Members
Pacifica 1511. I recently changed the humbuckers to a 'bucker sized P90 in the neck and a tele singlecoil in the bridge (both pickups from Vintage Vibe) and now I really love this guitar.

yamaha_pacifica_1511-04.jpg
That's the Mike Stern signature model, right? I love everything about that one, except the 7 1/2" radius. Do you feel like it gets in your way when bending?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Small Stone View Post
There, there:

pacifica3.jpg

pacifica2.jpg

pacifica1.jpg

See my signature, for the whole story.
I read the story (and the thread) about how you got your PAC 302. You're a clever guy and well deserve this nice catch.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I thought it was priceless when you said "I can't believe I bought a Yamaha". This mirrors a perception in some circles that Yamaha is more about motorcycles than musical instruments. Actually, it's quite the other way around.

• Members

There's a craigslist ad for a Yamaha SBG500B for $250.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/443878709.html

Now the B stands for Bolt-on. This isn't a killer deal considering you can probably buy the set neck SBG500 for a $100 more (maybe a bit more) but probably worth a look if you're in the area.

And, no, it isn't mine. Nor a friend of mine.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by trill View Post
That's the Mike Stern signature model, right? I love everything about that one, except the 7 1/2" radius. Do you feel like it gets in your way when bending?
Yeah, Mike Stern model. It took me a while to get used to the radius and given the choice I'd go for something flatter but it hasn't caused any problems, the guitar plays really well and is very comfortable.

With the stock S.Duncan humbuckers I thought the guitar was way too dark sounding for my tastes and I generally like my tones dark. Especially the bridge pickup sounded TOO thick through my Diezel Einstein combo. If I remember correctly Stern uses Fender amps so it could go better with those. Thankfully the pickup swap cured the problem in my case, especially since I've wanted a P90 guitar but also a singlecoil tele so I kind of combined both here. cool.gif

I also had this Pacifica 812WX, but never quite bonded with it. Shame, cause it was a real beauty:
yamaha_pacifica_812wx-02.jpg

• Members
Yeah, Mike Stern model. It took me a while to get used to the radius and given the choice I'd go for something flatter but it hasn't caused any problems, the guitar plays really well and is very comfortable.

With the stock S.Duncan humbuckers I thought the guitar was way too dark sounding for my tastes and I generally like my tones dark. Especially the bridge pickup sounded TOO thick through my Diezel Einstein combo. If I remember correctly Stern uses Fender amps so it could go better with those. Thankfully the pickup swap cured the problem in my case, especially since I've wanted a P90 guitar but also a singlecoil tele so I kind of combined both here. cool.gif

I also had this Pacifica 812WX, but never quite bonded with it. Shame, cause it was a real beauty:
yamaha_pacifica_812wx-02.jpg

That may be the best looking pacifica I have ever seen.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Small Stone View Post
Thanks for the nice comments, guys! Now I have big GAS for that Mike Stern Tele...
I tried the MS sig (PAC1511) and it is like all the high end Made-in-Japan Yamahas. You can feel the quality the second you hold it. It does not have the contoured back (which I thought is a nice touch on the 302S) but a regular slab just like a traditional tele.The body is a little fancier than a Fender tele with a very high grade of tonewood and nice appointments like binding around the top. I also find the shape to be more elegant than the tele (just a taste) but some Fender purists would say that it is not the "right shape". Someone told me that about my SA2200. He said that the shape of it was "wrong".icon_lol.gif

Here's a pic of my semi-acoustic with the "wrong" shape :

SA2200.jpg

Archived