The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
^^
The 102SD is a beautiful guitar. Every time I see one I want to buy it. Congratulations.

I would like to solicit opinions about the Pacifica 412. What are the opinions about the PAC412, fellow Yamaholics?
Very good, certainly worth a look if you are in the market for something stratty. The finishes on them are lovely. Don't know too much about the pups, but I believe the 412 is being discontinued as the 112 has been upgraded so much, so grab while you can.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bigfatmonkeyboy View Post
Very good, certainly worth a look if you are in the market for something stratty. The finishes on them are lovely. Don't know too much about the pups, but I believe the 412 is being discontinued as the 112 has been upgraded so much, so grab while you can.
Thank you very much. How much should one pay for 412, do you think?

And to Bonerman, two questions: did you have a different screen name at one time? Also, did you swap the stock trem for a Wilkinson?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
And to Bonerman, two questions: did you have a different screen name at one time? Also, did you swap the stock trem for a Wilkinson?

Yes I did have a different name, I still hangout here a lot just dont post anymore. Except for these yammy threads and only to promote the yamaha guitars becasue I think they are so underrated.

The wilkinson trem is stock as are the sperzel locking tuners and Seymour Duncan pickups.

I am not sure about the spec of current 812w if infact the model is still in production.

I am still on the look out for a floyd equiped higher end Pac thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tincob View Post
Anybody know what are the differences between the SA800 and SA1200?

They are both a step down from the SA2000 - i.e. dot inlays and no binding on the neck.

Any other differences?
If you can read Japanese, you'll find interesting informations on many Yamahas (but many are not there) through their recent history on this site.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/eg/database/

The SA listing jumps from 700 to 900 so they don't list an SA800 (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, maybe it does) and the only 1200 is the one with an "S" after the number (SA1200S) which stands for (solid) Spruce top. Incidently, LaXu has a nice one.

• Members

Thanks Jkater. Cool link. I used babelfish to translate so I was able to muddle my way through most of it.

I had already PM'd LaXu about his SA1200S. There are reviews of the SA800 on the HC guitar reviews so I know they exist.

I've been looking into the SA800 and the newer SA2200. The two that I'm looking at are about $200 apart. Not sure which one is the better buy. I probably will not get the chance to directly play them for about a month or so.

If the SA800 doesn't have coil tap functionality, that would be a significant strike.

I need to gather some more funds. Time to liquidate some guitars.

• Members
I've been looking into the SA800 and the newer SA2200. The two that I'm looking at are about $200 apart. Not sure which one is the better buy.
The most likely difference will be the eye candy of the SA2200. It's a guitar that is stunningly beautiful. That doesn't make it a better instrument than the SA800 (not necessarily) although the SA2200 is currently the flagship of the Yamaha SA's. The most desirable SA of all time is, in my opinion the SA-2000S but it is very rare. I can't imagine someone with that guitar wanting to part with it unless they don't realise what they have. Here is an interesting thread about an SA2000s and a forumite asking us what we think...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...amaha+SA-2000s

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jkater View Post
The most likely difference will be the eye candy of the SA2200. It's a guitar that is stunningly beautiful. That doesn't make it a better instrument than the SA800 (not necessarily) although the SA2200 is currently the flagship of the Yamaha SA's. The most desirable SA of all time is, in my opinion the SA-2000S but it is very rare. I can't imagine someone with that guitar wanting to part with it unless they don't realise what they have. Here is an interesting thread about an SA2000s and a forumite asking us what we think...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...amaha+SA-2000s
That was an interesting thread. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I learned from emailing a SA800 owner that the SA800 does not come with coil tap capabilities.

• Members
That was an interesting thread. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I learned from emailing a SA800 owner that the SA800 does not come with coil tap capabilities.
A coil tap is an easy thing to install so if the feel and whatelse of the SA800 is more your cup of tea, you may still prefer that one and have it modded a bit. Just my .02. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bonerman View Post
The colour and shape of this guitar are cool, how does it play?
It's a little more low-end than the 800 (which has a bound and finished neck, sparkle finish, perloid pickguard and Sperzel locking tuners), but it plays and sounds real nice. You can get some nice tones out of it with the blender pot. The only thing I don't like about it is the vibrato. It only comes with 2 springs and isn't very useful IMHO, but then again I don't use it either biggrin.gif The neck is pretty narrow and the guitar balances nicely. I also like the body shape which is quite comfortable.

Yamaha also has a high-end model in Japan, it is probably made there (Yamaha BJ-Pro). The SGVs were made in Taiwan.

stringnet_1956_76674772

• 2 weeks later...

Archived