The OFFICIAL Yamaholics thread.

bigfatmonkeyboy

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Nobody has posted in two months plus?

Hmmm... Here goes... I am a Yamaholic (great to get that off my chest) guitar noob teaching myself to play. Having a ball after decades of piano.

My main guitar is a used (third owner) SA2200 with far too much mojo (not so many scratches but the metalwork has a fair bit of pitting, and the binding on the headstock has been knocked off the corners). I had a choice between a relatively inexpensive Ibanez JSM100 (pristine desertburst), or the black-yellow burst SA2200. So I got both. I love the color of my Ibanez, but I love to play the SA2200 - beat up as it is. I am on the lookout for another one eventually because this one is not my personal mojo. In the meantime, I am trying hard to honor a previous owner's gig mojo by practicing a lot.

My SA2200 is this week off on R&R getting itself cleaned, setup, and whatnot, so I am using the JSM100. Nice tone, but not as playable (frets are a bit high). And tone is still not quite as nice as the Yammy - which is, among all the guitars I tried, the most playable in every way.

Since getting the SA2200, I have added a few more Yammies to the stable (SG3000 and VG STD) as my son has also started picking up the guitar, and a few more to a collection of Japanese wood craft (a couple of nice-looking Yammy rarities I probably spent too much on, but I don't care). Will add pics later, and maybe do a HNGD at some point.

• Members

I guess I fit the Yamaho category. Current stable of Yammies:

FG180 acoustic (1971)

FG450SA acoustic (1990's?)

LL6 Acoustic (Recent?)

SG2000 electric (1978?)

GC-10 classical (1970)

Plus 2 more cheapie classicals

The LL6 is my main "purely acoustic" guitar for when I need to be loud and proud without amplification. The SG2000 is my go to when I need a LP type sound. The FG450SA is my beater for situations where damage/theft are a risk. The GC-10 is the only classical I enjoy playing now, but I'd never gig it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's my Yamaha.... A beat up old RGX-TT I found (in of all places) a pawn shop for __cheap____. It is all scratched and chipped, it's missing a knob, the switch tip and a screw from the bridge, but it has one of the best necks I have ever put my hands on. The guitar "feels" really good. Sound wise, it is very versatile. You can split the coil on the bridge humbucker (Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck) and get Strat tones with the bridge and middle pickups. Or you can fully engage the bridge humbucker and get a range of H or H-S tones.

fe7804c89dc495b27f0d6e110cd3dca2.jpg.b14ad54c3a00a81babb8f5cfad729073.jpg

471cab3909d3ed5bc9fca3028dd56b9d.jpg.99fd9c1e092a74c78b20b84ad3e449f6.jpg

9bc000da6d9b4f5d9cac3c2459074f7c.jpg.9fdc2d3c351c08f3a70813da3bb37daf.jpg

• Moderators

I do believe I/We deserve a place in this establishment

A3CR, awesome preamp, it's replacing the Faith Venus my son and I share, and loved so very much. Sorta what you think a Taylor 314CE should sound like, the Faith, beautiful guitar, but this has something extra, neither of us can put our fingers on it, so sweet.

fetch?id=31310243

and my son has reverted from the more hybrid necked NTX700, to the traditional classical necked NCX900, but with da flamez

fetch?id=31310245

• Members

A couple of my now several Yammies, with obligatory HNGD posts to boot. The AE-18 arrived yesterday. The other one I've had a couple of months but hadn't posted.

As a newbie, the AE-18 threatens to become my go-to guitar for learning purposes. Action is almost as nice as the SA2200 I started on (though a tad tougher on the fingers). Though the SA2200 does an even better job tonally (IMNSEO (in my not so educated opinion)), the AE-18 is quite nice, and in my limited living room volume does better without amplification.

588d45d1be5ae1d66cc9ffe91b27248f.thumb.jpg.d973c757ce5da3550e4b808fcd7d57c1.jpg

13a3e7ae6928e133b477068ec217e447.thumb.jpg.bad3c9f025de6bfe482449972befdd1d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
I guess I fit the Yamaho category. Current stable of Yammies:

FG180 acoustic (1971)

FG450SA acoustic (1990's?)

LL6 Acoustic (Recent?)

SG2000 electric (1978?)

GC-10 classical (1970)

Plus 2 more cheapie classicals

The LL6 is my main "purely acoustic" guitar for when I need to be loud and proud without amplification. The SG2000 is my go to when I need a LP type sound. The FG450SA is my beater for situations where damage/theft are a risk. The GC-10 is the only classical I enjoy playing now, but I'd never gig it.

Koiwoi, I recently acquired an LL6. I'm pretty sure it's among the sweetest acoustics I've ever heard

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've just listed my RGX 520FZ on eBay UK if anyone is interested... Great features including Grover barrel tuners, string through body and individual tailpieces, with a comfortable body shape, good upper fret access and superb sustain.

It's in excellent condition and comes with a Hiscox flight case; neither have ever left my house. Looking for £260.

• Members
I've just listed my RGX 520FZ on eBay UK if anyone is interested... Great features including Grover barrel tuners, string through body and individual tailpieces, with a comfortable body shape, good upper fret access and superb sustain.

It's in excellent condition and comes with a Hiscox flight case; neither have ever left my house. Looking for £260.

That's a Beauty!

• Members
I do believe I/We deserve a place in this establishment

A3CR, awesome preamp, it's replacing the Faith Venus my son and I share, and loved so very much. Sorta what you think a Taylor 314CE should sound like, the Faith, beautiful guitar, but this has something extra, neither of us can put our fingers on it, so sweet.

fetch?id=31310243

and my son has reverted from the more hybrid necked NTX700, to the traditional classical necked NCX900, but with da flamez

fetch?id=31310245

Wow, that's gorgeous. In Yamaha's model numbering, 900 is usually really high end. Is it the case here?

• Members

This guitar has now sold... But I've just spotted a beautiful Yamaha MSG/Image custom on eBay, what a stunning instrument!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Image-MSG-Custom-in-superb-condition-free-shipping-/221895122874?hash=item33a9fadfba

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

Hello all,

This thread is old, but some other relevant ones are older. Let's see if resurrection woks here...

I have a Yamaha SE612, purchased in 1988. Until recently, it spent years, or perhaps even decades, in its case, unused. Having removed it from its long hibernation quarters, it feels somewhat sticky, strings feel and sound awful (without an amp), and I'd guess most of you can imagine the state it's in.

I do not have the guitar with me, as it was shipped to a location that I should be at now, but I am stuck elsewhere for awhile. When I am eventually reunited with the guitar, I will find a professional who will do whatever is necessary to recondition and set it up properly. The one thing that I may want to do before that, though, is consider the possibility of replacing the pickups, because once I am with the guitar, I will be in a location where finding replacements would likely be impossible. Buying them online and having them shipped would probably be difficult, and certainly incur import duty and taxes that I can avoid by buying now.

So the question is: Since I am unable to actually test the pickups now, how likely is it that they need replacement after all these years? I don't mind spending a bit of money if necessary, even if it is not absolutely essential but is likely to yield some improvement. Having said that, this instrument will not have any serious use, so I don't especially need to make it sound like any particular guitar model - I just want it to sound clean, as it should sound.

If there is likely to be any benefit in replacing the pickups, how do I know which ones to buy?

Thanks for any advice.

• 3 months later...

Archived